New DIY Ca reactor

Why are you using a peristaltic pump to control the drip rate?
cant you use an irrigation valve or something else to control the drip rate? how is this performing on your tank? What is your effluent ph or alk reading? have you tried to crank it up just to see how well it performs?

Kenny, Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m using a peristaltic pump because the drip rates from the sump return pump were erratic and I had an extra peristaltic pump on the shelf unused, with the peristaltic pump I just set it and forget it. You can try experimenting with a sump return pump or a power head to achieve a proper drip rate, the peristaltic was just easier for me. The reactor works GREAT, I think it works as good or better than any mass produced reactor, I havenââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t supplemented calcium and my coralline growth has exploded since the reactors introduction, I also use a large diy Kalkwasser reactor to replace evaporated water in my system, the ca reactors effluent ph is about 6.4, the Kalk reactor effluent is about 12 so the balance each other out, my tanks ph is a constant 8.3. I havenââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t tried cranking up the reactor my calcium is a rock solid 450 ppm.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GEBC

I also wanted to ask you. did you have to buy 6 feet of the acrylic tube from usplastics if so do you have any left you want to sell?

Kalkmonster

Kalkmonster

Kalkmonster? Kenny, sorry I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t have any acrylic left, I do have an entire kalkreactor that is similar to the one I posted ( my previous version) but it is large, shipping might be a problem. here is a picture.

Attachments

• kalkreactor ver1.jpg
    kalkreactor ver1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0
How much are you looking to get for it? And of course I need to ask if it works. Or would I be better off building one?

hmmmm...my mom is going to visit my brother in Pasadena, MD, wonder what the airline would think of her getting on with that...

Great plans btw on both, hoping I can build these for my system. Nice winter projects

Last edited:
Dv, it works fine, it has a mag#2 pump and holds almost three gallons of water,I built the new one to match my CaCo3 reactor, if you are interested in it you could make me an offer, I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t know how much shipping would be or where to find a box big enough.

Very nice work. Cool idea for the base and lids. I skimmed through this thread pretty quick and I may have missed it but I am curious how much it cost you in total to make this reactor?

Back