New Ecotech Pumps

I received my new Vortech MP40 QD today. It's been running for about an hour and I am VERY Impressed. The claims that ETM have made for this unit appear to be completely valid. It is quite a bit more powerful than the old MP40 and is completely inaudible (though, to be fair, it is mounted to the rear of my tank, thus somewhat damped). It also, for the hour at least, appears to work flawlessly with my Apex WXM.

I'm due an upgraded driver for my existing MP60, which is the major noise offender on my tank, but those are not yet available, so maybe a few weeks. Once that is done, my tank will be essentially silent.

Good to hear calore. I'll be upgrading my drivers and I'm curious to see any longterm benefits to running short pulse mode which was previously useless with the noise it made.

Can someone explain to me how the driver (which i assume is just the black box) makes the pump quieter and push more water?

Yes, the driver is the black box. Apparently they have changed the way drive signals are sent to the dry-side motor resulting in much smoother (and less noisy) operation. The wet and dry-sides for both the MP60 and MP10 remain the same, as I understand it, so it is just the driver that has changed. I have ordered a QD driver for my MP60, however, those have still not been released for sale so I cannot comment on how much of a noise difference just the driver replacement makes.

The MP40 has been completely redesigned. I have one, and it is both essentially silent and quite a bit more powerful than the old version. I believe most of the flow gain comes from the redesigned wet-side, but clearly the new dry-side is different because it will not function with the old drivers.

I have heard 'rumors' that the sound reductions for the QD modified MP60 and MP10 will be more modest than for the new MP40 - though I guess we shall all find out in due course.

Yes, the driver is the black box. Apparently they have changed the way drive signals are sent to the dry-side motor resulting in much smoother (and less noisy) operation. The wet and dry-sides for both the MP60 and MP10 remain the same, as I understand it, so it is just the driver that has changed. I have ordered a QD driver for my MP60, however, those have still not been released for sale so I cannot comment on how much of a noise difference just the driver replacement makes.

The MP40 has been completely redesigned. I have one, and it is both essentially silent and quite a bit more powerful than the old version. I believe most of the flow gain comes from the redesigned wet-side, but clearly the new dry-side is different because it will not function with the old drivers.

I have heard 'rumors' that the sound reductions for the QD modified MP60 and MP10 will be more modest than for the new MP40 - though I guess we shall all find out in due course.

Understood...

I have a 6 year old all original MP40 wireless...it needs a new magnet on the wet side. I'm working on making the tank as quiet as possible as it is in the living room...thinking of pulling the trigger on some new 40's for the tank.

I spoke with a guy at ecotech about the mp40 dry side.
He said the internals are the same.
I heard the power supplies are more piwerful so maybe thats where the extra flow is coming from

FINALLY got confirmation that my MP60 QD driver upgrade has shipped out to me :). Only 10 weeks after I ordered and paid for it :(. Of course, I'm out of town all week :(:(.

BRS finally had some mp40 qd driver upgrades in stock last Saturday. Installed them last night and they are much much quieter. Quieter than the air pump I'm running with the tank right now in short pulse mode. With the tv in the same room this was definitely worth the money.

Back