New Fish Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I can't resist putting in my 2 cents, too! I don't know that it's really all that necessary to have an amazing in-house stock of dry goods. How many of you actually browse the LFS for dry goods as opposed to livestock? I admit that I don't, except for frozen food (and is that even a dry good?) and the occasional "oh, s**t, I really need ___" moment.

Yes, it would be great if we could see all the latest and greatest technology on display, but I don't expect or need that in our shops. And I think we can all agree that Tucson doesn't have the market to support a "saltwater superstore" where that would be possible. The LFS need to play to their strengths and advantages over the on-line stores. Of course they can't compete in price, because the volume isn't there. But there is just something about actually seeing that fish/coral/whatever in person that makes it a totally different buying experience.

I know some of you have your favorite on-line vendors and love the customer service you've received, but it's just not quite the same as taking your kid into the store to check out all the tanks, and chatting with the store owner about whatever. That's where the customer service comes in, not just with the owner, but also with knowledgeable and friendly employees. That is what brings me back to the same shops over and over again.

Sounds like your covering most of the bases Rob. No you can't get everything, but if its good, at least get a good/reliable vender that can get it here quick and dependable. Glad to see your not afraid of the internet, its the future and a good way to pump your volume till Tucson catches up. Yea I love Le Mars so called wholesale prices to retailers, you'ld be better off getting most items at Marine Depot and reselling them. Your comeing on your worst season now, July/ August for everything Reef.

Very good points.

I personally like to shop and compare. And we all like sales. Hector used to offer specials, but I have not seen any from his store in a long time. I agree with Karen that the LFS should concentrate on offering the best livestock. But, I would like to see prices come down. Corals in this market cost $60-$150 on average. Corals in Phoenix cost $40 -$120 and from what I here, equal corals in CA cost $20-$100 with a much greater selection.

I would like to see our stores put prices on the tanks, be more consistant with pricing, offer regular sale events, and bring the price down to average $50 per coral.

I will put this on my list for Santa Cluas

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7589819#post7589819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cerreta
Very good points.

I personally like to shop and compare. And we all like sales. Hector used to offer specials, but I have not seen any from his store in a long time. I agree with Karen that the LFS should concentrate on offering the best livestock. But, I would like to see prices come down. Corals in this market cost $60-$150 on average. Corals in Phoenix cost $40 -$120 and from what I here, equal corals in CA cost $20-$100 with a much greater selection.

I would like to see our stores put prices on the tanks, be more consistant with pricing, offer regular sale events, and bring the price down to average $50 per coral.

I will put this on my list for Santa Cluas

Probably not going to happen unless we get more hobbyist. Corals in Ca cost less because they don't have to ship them. Most just drive to LA (like me) to pick them up. Only my trip cost over 300 with the price of gas, food, and hotels(usually bring back 20 or so boxes from LA so I can save some money). To ship it cost me about 100 for 4 boxes So that typically adds about 4-5 bucks per item depending on size. Rock is a whole other story to ship cause it almost doubles the price. Phoenix lowers prices just by sheer volume. If I had the traffic of their stores the prices would match.

What's funny is most people love the prices in California and Phoenix but fail to figure in gas, hotel, time, shipping, etc in the cost. Unless you are buying volume, or already their for a visit, its useless to make the trip. Besides any LFS would give awesome prices for volume orders or group orders. If you can save someone a long drive and make a few bucks why not. Any reasonable businessman will match and beat any price in town or phoenix for comparable stock but I find most people won't drop in to ask, they just order online.
Rob

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7589819#post7589819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cerreta
And we all like sales. Hector used to offer specials, but I have not seen any from his store in a long time.
I been going into southwest salt they have a 25 percent off sale going on for the last month

Great, let's turn this thread into a bash fest. If you like one store better than another, then recommend that store. It doesn't seem very fair to just flame someone because they are not running their business to your liking. Better to say nothing and let each person make their decisions on their own.

Your were right phlipper84, I'm sorry here we go again! Great, let's turn this thread into a bash fest, who's bashing? Why so quick to protect good ol hector (first time I mentioned him in a long time). Scott just mentioned he had not seen a sale in a while and fishaholic911 mentioned South west had a 25% sale. That's Bashing? Is there a special relationship we're missing here?

Phlipper I was not trying to bash any Lfs. I am sorry if that came out wrong. I was just trying to make a point about the comment made ( We all like sales ) I was not trying to focus on any store just that there is one in town that is having a sale.

Yes there is protectionism. I shop Hector's store, I have spent serious money at Southwest when Tim was the owner. I also used to frequent Phoenix stores until it became ridiculous gas-wise to make the trip. Somehow adding 30 dollars to your trip on the chance you will find exactly what you want, or better yet, something you can afford that you really want was not realistic. Back to the topic at hand.
When you make a comment that says "Hector used to have sales, Southwest has sales." One person is more expensive than another, etc. etc. It seems to be unnecessarily taking someone to task. Many moons ago, I used to work at one of the better stores in LA. Great owner, great service, great quality stuff. But you would see regular customers who had sometimes spent thousands of dollars, just disappear. You knew something had probably turned them off to the store as a customer, you just never knew exactly what. I think this happens in almost every business. One bad experience can poison your entire relationship with the store. Like they say, one angry customer can lose 15 more for you. That is why in any business they always say "service, service, service.", and the customer is always right.
As you can figure I do like Hector's store. Believe me the first time I went in there I walked right out, sure that it was just another hole-in-the-wall fish store. However, I gave him a second chance, and I am happy that I have. He has no problem handing out advice, regardless if you are purchasing from him or the internet. In fact I have had him tell me to go to the internet because he can't even buy the equip for what Marine Depot is selling it for. Also, I am extremely picky in terms of what I buy. As we all can be. I have found that very often he has pieces that are different. Not better, just different. I have cherry-picked every store in Tucson and Phoenix. Well not every store, it just seems that way. I do it on price and quality. I don't take weeks to make my decisions, I usually act immediately. Make your own decisions, blame me for a protectionist nature, I really don't care. I just feel that dragging another business down, either intentionally or unintentionally, is not fair. You keep acting as if Tucson needs another fish store when you can't really be happy with what is already here.

Phil that is ridiculous. We are all entitiled to our opinons. Stating that Hector no longer advertises specials is a fact, not slander. Stating that it is nice to see sales and hoping he or some other stores offer sales supports the idea that I enjoy sales. Nothing more is intended by the comment.

Why is it that I bash Hector but not Rob or any other store? The comments I made were universally applied. Yet, you only defend Hector and his store. You are extremely bias with your comments and like usual wrong. Just like your previous accusations that I was making monely off the coral event hosted at Zach's, WRONG, and several other instancences.

You want an example of bashing, go read my review of Majestic SeaLife on the Store Locator thread, that is bashing. These comments are not. I visit Hector's store and will continue to do so. But when I go to his shop and the door is locked at 3 in the afternoon, I get ****ed and want to go there less and less. And when you associate yourself so strongly with that store and bash me for an innocent comment, than I want to go there even less again! So good job in helping your buddy out, I'm sure he appreciates it.

sorry, I said pi_ssed, not the f word or somthing that bad. I did not realize it was a banned word.

You know guys, it seems as though a major rift has been formed between a few peeople and Hector and I believe that just because you dont get what you want all the time is no reason to cut a business to pieces with YOUR bad experience. If you dont like the man, so be it. Move on and go somewhere else. I feel as though Hector gives out more more advice freely than he even needs to. Rob is also very willing to do the same thing. Lets help both of them build thier stores and reputation up instead of knocking them down.
While I'm on a roll, I'd like to bring up a couple of things that have been bothering me lately. I think the reason why there isnt a strong club in Tucson is because of the reefers here. If we all will be positive and enjoy each others company and do things for one other's saltwater experience, our little corner of the world will be fun and exciting. Besides the Saltwater shop owners, we should be doing little things such as giving away frags to each other instead of charging to make a buck. I truly will never understand why people in this hobby do that. Sure, you pay for the mother colony and the money it costs to raise the corals, but what are you in this hobby for? To make a buck or to have fun and gain a greater understanding of the beauty of nature? Shouldnt we be passing that on? Especially to new people to get them into the hobby without them forking out hundreds and even thousands upfront for a beautiful tank? As for me, I know what I do it for. Do you?

BTW, this comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, but as a generalization of how we should be conducting ourselves and working with each other. If it has got you to think, then it's point has been made. :cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7592558#post7592558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fat Surgeon
Besides the Saltwater shop owners, we should be doing little things such as giving away frags to each other instead of charging to make a buck. I truly will never understand why people in this hobby do that. QUOTE]

Fatsurgeon, YOU ARE NUTS ! Who ever said they were only into this hobby for fun. If you can make money off of something you enjoy, WHY NOT. Everyone knows this is not a cheap hobby. Why not reward yourself with selling off a couple of frags and use the money to purchase a new and different coral. And why should anyone just give something away when most times HARD EARNED money is used to purchase anything reef. Why not use your hobby to support your hobby. Also, when you say give away, are you also talking about tanks? DO you honestly believe that we all should just give everything away to someone starting a hobby? I sure the H...l hope not. That's JUST RETARDED !

Quote From Phlipper As you can figure I do like Hector's store. Believe me the first time I went in there I walked right out, sure that it was just another hole-in-the-wall fish store. End Quote

Yes, We can all tell. So you had a bad experience the first time and gave it another chance. Good for you ! I am sure other people have done the same. Myself included. But when you have more than one bad experience you kind of learn your lesson.

And why is it okay to tell someone about a store only if what you have to say is good. Isn't part of being a good reefer giving advice or tips about stores. Wouldn't it be wrong not to warn someone about customer service or anything else about a store. So if some one comes up to me and says "yeh, I plan on going down to (what ever fish store) to see if they have any deals" I should just stand there with a dumbfounded look on my face and say have fun? Even though I have been there repeatedly and no there are no deals. I don't think it's wrong to let people know about your experience whether it be god or bad. If it's offending to you OH WELL ! Your offending me with your P-ss Ant Antics.

Last edited:
Besides the Saltwater shop owners, we should be doing little things such as giving away frags to each other instead of charging to make a buck.

FatSurgeon
Gald you said that, I'm ready for my frags.... Seriously I don't and I think most people don't mind paying a fair amount for coral frag. Everyone in this hobby has alot invested in their coral collection if you can make a few bucks to buy more salt more power to you. I have in the past given away many frags and recieved many frags for free, its a good way to ensure a species survival incase your system crashes, you'll have an available soure to rebuild.

This thread is starting to get heated.:wave:

I have shopped Hector's store and have got good deals better than most anyone as I was the one with him from the start.I built all of the stands for him and yes he paid me. I built the pvc shelfs for him and yes he gave me corals for that. I thought we had a good relationship until I encountered some unethical practices. The statement I made earlier about southwest having a 25 percent off sale was to let scott and everyone else know that lfs still offer discounts. I should have never put hector's store in that quote. I did not do it to hype southwest and cut hector down.

As for a tucson club I think most are fine not calling it one. I will start a new thread with votes on that. You can post all your complants on it so we can leave this thead alone. Sorry for high-jacking your thread Zack!

WOW! One little thread and all of this debate...
and all we were looking for was a bit of feedback from people.
Oh well, I guess I will just stay out of this one for awhile.

Zach, As far as where to open a shop, I say North West Side.

I have been looking into opening a bird store and come to find out I don't think it would do so well with just birds.
I believe the same would be for fish stores. I think for a fish store to do well here it would have to stock more than just fish and coral. I think making it a pet store would work better but your main stock could be reef stuff. That would bring in other clientele looking for pet supplies who have no desire to set up their own reef tank until they see a really good show tank in a pet store.

And I agree with others about pricing. Do some looking around, online and in town. And yes" THE INTERNET IS THE FUTURE" whether we like it or not. Making your shop accessible online will guarantee a wide array of clientele. Use an online shop to fund your in-town shop.

I know for a fact that other fish shops in town do so. Being some one who writes ads for various companies, I know first hand about Local Stores Using Intermnet to boost sales. Not just in advertising online but also selling online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back