New Giganteas with Pedal Laceration

I love looking at your anemones. Your video shows an exquisite tank, something I aspire to. The only thing that gives me pause is the fish. Have you had any losses to the anemones? I really would like to have a tank very much like yours, but I am afraid to add fish. You seem to have no problems. Any recommendations or hints for keeping them together?

Hi,
Thanks. The only reason I've lost fish is due to my mistakes and impatience. The two giganteas have never captured any fish that is healthy and swimming. Sure, if the fish is sick and can't swim against the Tunze flow and into the anemone, it would be a goner.
Don't be afraid to add fish with Giganteas. I've never even seen it caught a snail. The red Haddoni that I used to keep had a snail graveyard underneath it.

If you are able to breed some clown from those C Quest, I like to buy a few from you. LMK

I will definitely try it and will document it. I've had my Onyx clowns(actually the only type I've seriously kept) laid eggs within a year. I didn't think I have space to raise them. This time though, the tank is in the basement and I have plenty of room to make a mess. I'm really looking forward to this.
On the side note, I've given up on getting a pair of wild Onyx or even dark Percula. Those would be ideal IMO. These captive bred have probably gone many generation of inbred. I'm expecting my cull rate will be high as I don't like to see any imperfection like misbar, connecting bars, deformed fins, deformed head, etc.

An update on these two anemones.

Purple
<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YnJpHsnXhNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Green

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P6MRES3tqAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW reproduction via pedal laceration is different than reproduction via budding. And it's only a bud if it separates :) Otherwise it is just a mantle anomaly. Anomalies happen pretty frequently and I have seen them in the wild. I don't recall seeing a gigantea reproduce via budding however... though there are rumors that it can occur. Then again, there are rumors just about ANYTHING can occur in a reef tank :)

Alive and kicking.

The green has really grown back its size. The purple looks to be stagnant but I think the pink table acro is limiting its size. All good to me. I don't want them to get any bigger really.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9307.jpg
    IMG_9307.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9312.jpg
    IMG_9312.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
Very nice, I recently acquired a new purple gig like yours and my original one in my avatar, it's doing well after 1 month. It had a hole in the foot at the bottom when I got it but is fine now.

Back