New reefer with question

Finis

Hey guys! Just wanted to say hi. I'm new to this hobby and four months in. Pretty addicted to it! Any of you have experience with a reef octopus hob 1000?

Anything reef octopus is usually quiet and efficient. Quiet being more important than you would imagine. They are all pretty efficient when dialed in correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. I have a SRO-XP1000SSS from reef octopus and mine is very sensitive to water level height. If my sump level goes up by .25" it will overflow. I run too skimmers side by side. The other one is ASM GC3 and it is much harder to get it to overflow. They both seem to work well and pull out the same amount but the reef octopus is more sensitive.
One more thing my reef octopus was shipped in very cold weather and it had cracks and stress fractures I think from the cold. I had to have the collection cup replaced. Makes me think they are cheaply made but what is not now days.

Well I had bought one and it has been a month but has not produced any gunk. I have primed it correctly several times to make that wasn't it. Air line does not have any blockage. Salinity is at .25. Even took it apart once to make sure o rings were seated correctly. I'll give it another week before I call customer support. Just wondering if I should "hang on" or just sell it and get another.

I'm 50/50 on Reef Octopus products. Some are great value for the money. Others are garbage better not bought. I have an SRO 6000 EXT. The thing is a BEAST!

I've never been a HOB fan, not matter what the make. Best one I've had experience with was the Deltec MCE600, that being said I sold it after a year and went with a sump.

I like external skimmers the best. Mainly because you have easier control over three variables instead of just two. Best of luck!!!

Well it's seems to finally be pulling stuff. There is a really dry foam head at the top of the collection tube. I don't have a sump yet but when I do I figured I might be able to use it in the setup. I just have a basic aqueon 30g tank. Looking at hob overflows but trying to learn how to make it flood proof as possible since I know about the inherent risk. I kinda just jumped right into the hobby. So I'm learning a lot as I go. I will see if my lfs drills tanks. My wife's friend is going to give us a 46 gallon tank but I don't know what kind it is. (Hope it's pre drilled). Looking at media reactors but right now just modding an aqueon hob filter for my media until I figure out my sump options. :fish1:

Reduce phosphates is what I want right now. I have a regular schedule when it comes to maintenance such as water changes and cleaning sand bed. I don't over feed either. I have activated carbon and ceramic rings with some filter pads in my hob filter.

I'm going through Jacksonville in a couple days on the way to Winchester for the bi-annual Lounge party long weekend at Nina51's.
I'll wave on the way through. :)

Let me know if you decide to go to an external skimmer, I may have something that would work for you.

Will do John I appreciate it. Just waiting to see what this freebie tank is so I can plan my next step.

David- if you still have a frag you would be willing to part with I can let you know when I'm in Springfield again or heading that way to see if it works for you.

Reduce phosphates is what I want right now. I have a regular schedule when it comes to maintenance such as water changes and cleaning sand bed. I don't over feed either. I have activated carbon and ceramic rings with some filter pads in my hob filter.

I run activated carbon also in a HOB. I dont have a sump yet so I feel the carbon helps there. How often are you changing the filter pads? I notice that mine get so full of gunk so quickly.

I just rinse mine out a couple times when it looks like it needs a change. I probably only replace once a month.

I had the 1000 hob when o started. I don't recall any problems with it. I've had a couple other RO skimmers since and they've been solid. Have a 5000 ext right nor and never have to touch it besides to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Reef Octopus XS-160 in my sump and I'm very happy with it. I did have to replace my impeller after 2 years because the casing on the magnet split open and got bound up. Other than that it's been great. My first skimmer was a HOB and I couldn't get a foam head to build up but I'm pretty sure that was due to operator error. It was my first experience with a skimmer and I didn't know what I was doing. I either got no skimmate, or flooded it all over the floor. Am I wrong in thinking they are more sensitive to water level than an in-sump skimmer?

It's working like a beast now. Took every bit of 30 days for it to work with no flooding issues. I was close to putting it in ebay.

Back