Nitrate help please

tsutherland

I have been having a problem with my nitrates being at 10ppm for about 3 weeks now. I have done 2 twentyfive percent water changes and probably another 8 gallons worth of water changes. My nitrites are reading 0ppm, my phosphates are reading 0ppm, I don't have any huge algea outbreaks. My calcium is reading 430ppm, I am at my wits end because I know that I can't keep doing water changes everyday. I am using tested RO water for all water changes and my salinity is reading at 1.024 and the temp of my tank is reading about 77 degrees. I have 2 fish and 2 flame scallops in my tank and feed both small amounts of food everyday. Any help on things I may have overlooked in my thinking process. I am also using a protein skimmer and I am awaiting the arrival of my coralife super skimmer 220 for this tank which is a 55gal.

Any help would be great, thanks!!!

if you have anytype of bio media (foam, sponges, Bio-balls, Etc.)for filtration. look at that for the cause of the high nitrates. over feeding and detrius thats on the rocks will cause high nitrates as well.

Tell us about the filtration system you have, live rock, etc etc.

If you give us all the system specs you can get more detailed help.

Regards,

Pat

I have a cannister filter that I think moves like 500gph and I also have a hang on bio wheel filter. I have about 30lbs of live rock, and my lighting is provided by a coralife 4x65watt power compact lighting system. I have 2 CAP-800 powerheads with rotating wave deflectors and one on the return from the canister filter. I have a grounding probe in the tank also. There is 50lbs of live sand in the tank. I am looking to make a refugium but cant afford it right now. And I also have a protien skimmer from my 30gal tank running in my 55gal right now until I get my exchange super skimmer 220 back becase the first one had a leak. I add a line of kent marine chemicals and trace elements, and coravite.

Generally, Bio Wheels end up being Nitrate Factories. Your filteration needs should be taken care of with a significant amount of live rock.

What size tank do you have?

How long has the tank been running with the Bio Wheel? It does take them time to turn into Nitrate Factories, but most do. Thirty lb of rock is pretty good in a 55g. I personally beleive in more rock the better.

I would start by taking out the Bio Wheel.

Absolutely a Refugium will help a lot.

Good Luck.

The bio wheel is most likely one of your sources. You could have others.

You mention that you add Kent marine chemicals and trace elements, and coravite. I don't know what the coravite is but I make it a practice to not add anything unless I can measure for it.

Typically unless you have a very high load of corals it is not necessary to add chemicals especially if you do frequent partial water changes. Alkalinity and Calcium are the typical culprits but those can be measured easily.

You might try losing the bio wheel and then backing down the additives to only those that you can measure for.

I think that would be a good way to start identifying the culprits.

Regards,

Pat

Back