Noisy Vortech DrySide FIX!!

well that was a waste of an hour. replaced my bearings bit still noisy. a slightly different kind but still noisy. well was worth a try

Here are the specs. not sure what brand... to many different bearings listed here that I could not find.

607ZZ...ABEC3 Rate. 2 SIDes Rubber Seals. Self lubricated ( Grease ).Noise Level V2+,Noise Tested,Limiting Speed Rpm (Grease 36000 rpm,Oil 37000 rpm),Basic load rating (lb) Cr KN = 2.358, Cor KN = 0.954,

698ZZ ABEC3 Rate.
Self lubricated
Noise Level V2+,
Limiting Speed Rpm (Grease 37000 rpm). Basic load rating (lb) Cr KN = 1.99, Cor KN = 0.865.

If my time with machinery spindles has taught me anything it is that not all bearings are created equal, and that using ABEC ratings is fuzzy at best. Impostors exist as well.

I've done a couple Vortech pumps with cheap bearings and been happy, and a couple with cheap bearings and had your result. If I ever do another it'll be with one of the name brand ones.

I would also prefer metal shielded over rubber sealed for this application. They run cooler, and if you have salt creep that far in you have other problems.

still I would like to see a clear replacement with links to avoid impostors and other issues. I did find that a little car disk brake anti squeak compound dulls the pitch a bit. The bell housing is a horrible design that applies the sound. the rubber drum skin is no help...you loose the three screws under the sticker and the sound is cut in half. the out of balance magnets don't help either.

I'd be surprised if Ecotech ever posts their spec, and it's entirely possible given their volumes and price that they specify a different than standard grease/above average bearing grade. If you have a sound that decreases when the screws are loosened it makes me think you have an issue with your assembly. I consider all of mine pretty well balanced, and very quiet when new (note, QD drivers. The non-QD ones made a bit of noise, although that was an electric motor noise not a bearing noise). I have found them to be very sensitive to alignment. In many cases mounting both the spacer (MP60) and cord (all of them) does wonders for noise and bearing life.

I was thinking of trying the VXB bearings I saw mentioned here but the shipping is $15. No joke...

Just an update, I took apart for the fifth time and repressed my bearings to make are they were on all the way.

I also figured out the sequence for washers. The tank side should get a single washer. The rear side should go washer, spring, washer. Hooked back up and is quieter. Not silent like my tunze, but much better. My wife said, that's supposed to be quiet? So I will continue to have my controller turn it off during dinner hours. But it is half the noise level as prior to bearing fix.

Interesting when I follow this my magnet rubs and the motor stalls. when I reverse it, it is about 50% more quite. But your washer/spring/washer order was what the problem was for me. The previous owner messed it up.

When I mount the motor assembly i the bell housing with a little caliper anti squeak silicone it is nice and quiet now. Previously it was noisy. BUT as soon as I screw on the magnet it is noisy as hell. My next step may be to balance the magnet.

When I mount the shaft assembly on the housing and give it a spin, then swap it and spin it again, I can hear and feel noise coming from the tank side (607) bearing.Or Did I confuse it already? Now I just need to find a more quiet tank side bearing.. While I have read that VBX and BOCA bearings had better results, there are those who had noise issues with them as well...So it may be constant trial and error till I get a good one.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the MP40s, but I've been told the MP60's are dynamically balanced.
I haven't seen it in the directions, but I marked the magnet relative to the shaft on disassembly. If there is a lot of vibration rotating it in small increments until the vibration is decreased may help.

So I got the NTN 698LLU ball bearing for $12. Night and day difference. When spinning it in your hand it is a smooth stiff spin like its tightly packed with grease. Instead of it being distracting clear across the room and hearing it in other rooms in the house, it is not tolerable in a quiet room and un-noticable if there is any background noise.

Just ordered the 607 bearing...

So here is the final result...

NTN 698LLU $12.19
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UH9BWO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the tank side

NTN 607LLU $9.10
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NTN-607LLU-EXTRA-SMALL-BALL-BEARING-FACTORY-NEW/122568131505?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 for the outboard side

Both have a red seal and have a very smooth fluid rotation. Like they are packed with thick grease. You can't spin these between your fingers. they just turn slow and smooth. Better than new...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the RPM these run at? I generally prefer metal shields over rubber seals in higher (6k) rpm applications. I'm guessing these don't run anywhere near that fast, but I also have no idea what these run at.

Did a vid of my install...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UOnI3grPbTA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So here is the final result...

NTN 698LLU $12.19
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UH9BWO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the tank side

NTN 607LLU $9.10
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NTN-607LLU-EXTRA-SMALL-BALL-BEARING-FACTORY-NEW/122568131505?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 for the outboard side

Both have a red seal and have a very smooth fluid rotation. Like they are packed with thick grease. You can't spin these between your fingers. they just turn slow and smooth. Better than new...
Can these also be used for mp40qd dry side bearing?

Back