Nook's Reef!!

Here are some pics from about 3 or 4 months ago, I need to get back over and get some updated ones.

Nookstank071.jpg~original

Nookstank059-1.jpg~original

Nookstank015.jpg~original

Nookstank017.jpg~original

Nookstank011.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, is that the Radium bulb on HQI ballast? 400w? BTW, i love the fuge... That is the first fuge i see with 400w MH over it

Yes, the Radiums on the cube are 400w with four vho super actinic.

Are you still using the vodka on your system? Can you tell a difference. I am considering using it on my system (total approx 800 gallons)

Thanks
Bill

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15294266#post15294266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TYRYFIN
Are you still using the vodka on your system? Can you tell a difference. I am considering using it on my system (total approx 800 gallons)

Thanks
Bill

When I sent my skimmer back to Geo for the modifications I was up to 60cc/day and noticing some things I didn't like in my corals. I let it go without vodka for 45 days and my nitrates steadily climbed to 22ppm. Phosphate climbed to 0.12 as well. I noticed acros browning out and lost a few more, so, I decided to start it back up again and am back to 60cc/day and nitrates are down to 17ppm.

It should be interesting to see how the refugium will do on your system. Is your plan to run this refugium in place of vodka dosing.

No, I am going to keep the fuge growing and use the vodka to keep nitrates and phosphates at bay. The fuge is not large enough to achieve low levels of nitrates/phosphates on its own. I will not starve the fuge though with zero levels of nitrate and phosphate.

Most people can only dream to have something like this. Very nice build..What modifications did you have done to the skimmer?
Are you using your refugium to grow out algae? or just pod life?
If you continue to dose Vodka, do you think you can still maintain a significant amount of algae?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15341387#post15341387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JCR's Reef
Most people can only dream to have something like this. Very nice build..What modifications did you have done to the skimmer?
Are you using your refugium to grow out algae? or just pod life?
If you continue to dose Vodka, do you think you can still maintain a significant amount of algae?

Thanks for the nice comments! It has been a very fun ride:)

I sent my skimmer back to Geo and he added a pipe into the base of the skimmer that is fed by a large single beckett injector. I need to get some pictures up as I let someone know I would get them pics and haven't gotten around to it yet.

I am using the fuge to grow algae and pods, worms, etc. If the dosing starts to starve the fuge out I will probably back up to keep nitrates around 5ppm. If the algae just doesn't grow using the vodka, I might use the fuge for growing xenia and Rose BTA's and pod life.

I am still increasing my vodka dose and am currently at 60cc/day. I have lost some acros due to browning out from nitrates being up as high as 23. I am feeling like a total newbie with the changes my system has gone through....still learning a lot as I go unfortunately, but what are you gonna do?

Dave, are you sure you lost your acros from nitrates? I had my tank at 20ppm for a few months.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15343857#post15343857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
Dave, are you sure you lost your acros from nitrates? I had my tank at 20ppm for a few months.

Being that the nitrates rose pretty quick, I assumed that was the most likely culprit. Of course I may have looked at them all wrong one day too:D Might be time for a softy tank:lol:

Great looking tanks!!

Well we have seen the bar and tanks, were is the humidor:smokin:

On a serious note do you still like the black sand, I am considering putting it in my new tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15472870#post15472870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FUA
that fuge is so cool

Thanks. It is still in the formative cycling phase. A local reefer put the idea in my head to add some seahorses.

Back