Nook's Reef!!

Are you gonna get sea horses for the fuge? I've been following that thread too...that would look stunning...

Nick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15514669#post15514669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
Are you gonna get sea horses for the fuge? I've been following that thread too...that would look stunning...

Nick

Why yes, yes I am:D Maybe when you come by you can give me some good ideas for that project too. I have some ideas, but would like to get your input.

Lemme know when is good for you...I'm obviously still up and gonna be for the next 7 hours.

Nick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15514686#post15514686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
Lemme know when is good for you...I'm obviously still up and gonna be for the next 7 hours.

Nick

I am hitting the hay in a few minutes, but Tues/Wed next week work fine for me. I think Markk96 is stopping by for frags next Weds.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15514677#post15514677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
Why yes, yes I am:D Maybe when you come by you can give me some good ideas for that project too. I have some ideas, but would like to get your input.

Dave,

Are you going to run a chiller on your fuge when you put horses in there? As you probably know, seahorses don't do well at "normal" reef temps - they do better with water temp below 74 degrees... Other than the temp, I think your fuge would make a stunning seahorse display.

Looking good as always.

LL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515205#post15515205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lightsluvr
Dave,

Are you going to run a chiller on your fuge when you put horses in there? As you probably know, seahorses don't do well at "normal" reef temps - they do better with water temp below 74 degrees... Other than the temp, I think your fuge would make a stunning seahorse display.

Looking good as always.

LL

No, it is hooked into the main system. I keep water temps 75-77 degrees on the main system. Is this going to be a problem?

Wow nice man-cave :D Now you can dose the tank with some vodka and then dose yourself.

Awesome pictures of the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15526978#post15526978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tadashi
Wow nice man-cave :D Now you can dose the tank with some vodka and then dose yourself.

Awesome pictures of the tank.

I do dose myself too:beer:

Seahorses

Seahorses

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515969#post15515969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
No, it is hooked into the main system. I keep water temps 75-77 degrees on the main system. Is this going to be a problem?

75 degrees is considered the top end of recommended temps for seahorses... I keep ours at 72-74 degrees. That's why I moved them back into a nano rather than the 120G they were in... I was going broke keeping 120+ gallons that cool in the Oklahoma Summer.

I would say try to keep your temp at 75 and you should be okay. You might think about dumping the outflow of your chiller into the fuge...that would probably be the coolest part of your system... just a thought...

LL

Boy that GEO CR is HUGE!!! I wonder why George made it in white instead of his normal black and why he didn't use a clear top? That thing is sure a work of art and hats off to George for a job well done. I really like your CR setup/table and hope to be able to copy it on a new setup one day.

Yeah, GEO has been a God-Send for me with this hobby!! He has built a lot of cool stuff over the years and most of us here in Saint Louis buy and recommend his products. Thanks for the compliments on the table....it is overbuilt and painted with waterproof rubberized epoxy.

Dave- What size Co2 tank you running with your CA reactor? Is it the same one you were running on your old one?
I didnt know seahorses required a lower temp.:confused: I always see them in tanks around 78 degrees and they appear happy. Does the lower temp not make them as active? Requiring less food?
I think the fuge would make an awsome display. Especially the leafy seadragon. I've always wanted to get one of those but I cant believe how expensive they are.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15566345#post15566345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JCR's Reef
Dave- What size Co2 tank you running with your CA reactor? Is it the same one you were running on your old one?
I didnt know seahorses required a lower temp.:confused: I always see them in tanks around 78 degrees and they appear happy. Does the lower temp not make them as active? Requiring less food?
I think the fuge would make an awsome display. Especially the leafy seadragon. I've always wanted to get one of those but I cant believe how expensive they are.

It is the same CO2 tank, it is a 15lb tank.

Most of the seahorse folks say that temps 70-74 are where you want to keep most tropicals as this temperature range is where they are less susceptible to disease. Higher temps will work, but makes the seahorses more prone to bacterial infection. Most of the literature that serious seahorse caregivers cite shows lower temps decrease mortality.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15567119#post15567119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook

Most of the seahorse folks say that temps 70-74 are where you want to keep most tropicals as this temperature range is where they are less susceptible to disease. Higher temps will work, but makes the seahorses more prone to bacterial infection. Most of the literature that serious seahorse caregivers cite shows lower temps decrease mortality.

That is exactly the reason, Nook. They are very delicate in that regard, and a infection can take out your entire herd in a short time... unfortunately I have been there, done that and it breaks your heart - especially if you've had the horses for a long time...

Chelsey took some awesome photos - stunning.

LL

Been a fan of this tank and envious of your equipment and thought process- any updates!
How's that reactor working 4 ya

The reactor works great! The white lid doesn't show dust like the black lids do:D I did have to replace my one year old regulator/solenoid because it was letting out CO2 continuously. All is well now.

I am having another piece of GEO equipment made at present so I can get away from Vodka dosing. He is building me a custom GEO Sulphur Denitrator for the system. My plan is to get handy with it first, then get it online and taper off the vodka.

The refugium is doing great....have about 5 or 6 types of macros thriving in there at present. I just switched a couple of my 400 watt Radium bulbs over the cube tank to 250 watt Radium bulbs. They are definitely not as bright as the 400's, but they look nice and will last a year versus 6 months and they save electricity.

The problem with the 250 Radiums in the LA3 reflectors is that the bulb is too short to put it in the center of the reflector. So, I might have to figure out how to get them more in the center or switch to Lumenbrights over the cube tank like the long tank. FWIW, I prefer the look of the Lumenbright over the Lumenarc.

70 fish, all doing well. Feeding heavy and acquiring some more soft corals here and there. Thanks for the interest.

I am having another piece of GEO equipment made at present so I can get away from Vodka dosing. He is building me a custom GEO Sulphur Denitrator for the system. My plan is to get handy with it first, then get it online and taper off the vodka.
Nook u lucky dog lol
I run a midwest unit( denitrator) in my sps tank and its been quite a breeze to regulate and did it to avoid the typical dosing and what not.

No doubt that the GEO unit will be better built.

I run 3 lumenbrights on 400 watters radium and really enjoy thier output and brightness.

I guess time will tell but so far so good in this build the "pretty" black lumenbrights allowed me to have an open top again.
0069.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back