November 2016, Reefer of the Month~~~reeftivo!!

Nanook

Ancient Eskimo Legend
Staff member
RC Mod
My name is Steve Whitman but friends call me Tivo (long story). I live in Chino California with my wife Norma and have been a salt water “REEF” enthusiast since 2006. My interest in this hobby started when I was around 8 years old (early 70’s) after a trip to Marineland with family. I snorkeled for the first time in a large interactive marine tank at the park which had everything from small garibaldi and trigger fish, to 5 foot black tip reef sharks and large groupers. It terrified me but I couldn’t stop thinking how cool it was to see another world like that. Unfortunately the park was closed down some years later but the experience soon had me asking my parents for an aquarium.

As many people, when they are kids, I started with fresh water and the good old goldfish. That soon led to larger tanks and I kind of ran the gamut with discus, Oscars, Pacus and Arrowanas. Over the years there were down times when I didn’t have a system but every time I saw a thriving tank somewhere, I got the itch again. Back then, reef systems were just too daunting and most of the LFS had very limited live stock, equipment and yes, knowledge. They (LFS) actually steered me away at times-LOL. I finally took the plunge into salt water (1992) with a 125 gallon FOWLR tank and stocked it with a humu trigger, porcupine puffer and snowflake eel. The tank was very entertaining but the corals were calling. I didn’t get on board with corals until 2007. I gave my neighbor my 125 and decided to get an 80 gallon tank to try my hand at LPS and nems. The 80 gallon system thrived until I moved residence and the transfer of the system and livestock did not go well. I ended up selling the system and a year later found Reef Central. The vast wealth of info and user experience was invaluable.

After researching for a while on RC, I decided to do it all again, but instead start with a small nano system and some more demanding corals. I started with a 28 gallon JBJ, then a 39 gallon signature series Cadlights system and finally a new 60 gallon Versa series true cube from Cadlights. The 60 gallon system is in its infancy (9 months) with limited livestock from old system. It has an 18 gallon sump, hard plummed overflow and return with a DCT return pump. I run a ReefDynamics IN80S skimmer and use copious amounts of seachem matrix in the fuge and return area along with an eheim canister filled with matrix and chemipure. Other equipment used; reef angel controller, 4 head peristaltic dosing pump for calcium, alk and mag and a TLF reactor with even more matrix. The system is doing nicely and I think I have found my happy place through years of trial and error.

Reef Central has been invaluable and I thank everyone I can by trying to help from my experiences, good or bad. Thanks again to RC and everyone who has helped me in my journey. The world of reefing is so rewarding and with research, patience and willingness to try and keep things simple (not always possible-LOL) anyone can have great success.

Sincerely

Steve Whitman (reeftivo)

Happy Reefing!

user191145_pic76495_1477502840_zps2n33rldy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all you have contributed to making Reef Central what it is.

Description of RC ROTM:

In appreciation and honor of the members that regularly contribute to our discussion forums, we would like to acknowledge a Reefer each month that stands out as exceptional for their outstanding service to others. This person will be selected by the Reef Central Staff, based on their willingness to help others in response to questions, giving advice, and overall disposition. The honoree will be given the Reef Central ROTM tag, that will appear above their avatar and will follow them for one year after being awarded. This will not only demonstrate to others that you have been chosen as a trustworthy source of information, but also as a positive role model for others to emulate. Additionally, we are pleased to upgrade your membership to "premium" for one year.

We look forward to honoring one person, each month, by highlighting them in the Reef Discussion and New to the Hobby Forums. This will include a recent photograph of yourself, or your avatar if you prefer not to show your actual face, along with what you love about the hobby of reef keeping and why you have chosen Reef Central to be your home. Each month the face and paragraph of the ROTM will change, but you can forever hold the honor of knowing that you were one of the chosen few to have earned this title and our respect as a member in great standing.

Best Regards,

The RC Staff

The new tank will be gradually changing over the coming months ;-)

I'm sure there will be many occasions when i ask all of you for some help or recommendations ;-)

Happy Reefing

Tivo

Congrats Steve! Very well deserved! Your're always trying to help others which makes you a great asset to this community!

thank you slief

much respect!!!! I see you received the mitras lx7. looking forward to your review.

thank you ;-)

I would have gone bigger but that's the only spot downstairs that the wife would agree on.

sometimes compromising hurts!

Congrats Steve. Well deserved. Thanks for all your help. Funny i still have my eheim 2013 canister filter as well.

Thanks moondoggy4. You've been a great help too. I hear ya on the eheim 2013. I put a valve on the top of the discharge tube so priming is easy.
Happy reefing

Black sand. I switched to black when I hiked Hawaii's (big Isl) coast. Once you go black...well.....
Thanks reef thief

I like the sand too. Does have some granules that get picked up by the magnet if I get too deep, so I have to be careful. The look is great though.

Back