ocean water

Is this water bought at the store or collected by you? Store bought okay, collected by you no, not unless you can process it properly.

There are all sorts of things in seawater. Depends really where its collected.

Imo any seawater that is clear and collected a mile out or more will be much better than any synthetic sea salt. I would do it in a split second regardless what other people tell me.

Seawater is pretty much the same all over the world.

Where will it be collected?

One thing to watch for is bacteria. Paul B, searh his posts he uses seawater a long time now. IIRC he uses bleach to kill parasites and bacteria in the water, then uses a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine. FWIW, that seems risky. But really depends where its collected.

I usually just collect it and either run it through a diatom filter or a coffee filter to rid it of jellyfish and plankton which will die in a tank.
If you are worried about paracites you can do a few things, either store it for 6 weeks in the dark, or heat it to about 90 degrees for a day or so or put in one tablespoon of "regular" bleach like Clorox to five gallons of water. After a week put in twice the recommended amt. of chlorine remover and airate for a day. If you don't smell chlorine you can use it. Only "regular" bleach can be used or you will kill all of your animals in a few minutes
(don't ask)
I usually just collect it, strain it and dump it in.

It is just not worth the trouble to collect your own water. It is safer to make your own from R/O water and a good synthetic salt. Your livestock is not worth the risk of introducing possible parasites.

I collect the water both on the north and south shore. I prefer to collect it on the south shore but my boat is in the Sound so thats where it usually comes from.

It is just not worth the trouble to collect your own water. It is safer to make your own from R/O water and a good synthetic salt. Your livestock is not worth the risk of introducing possible parasites.

This is a concern for many people but after collecting water for almost 40 years I have never had a problem with diseases or paracites. Back problems, thats another story.

My philosophy is that all of our animals came from real water, none of tham came from fake water.
Artificial sea water is not and never will be the same as real sea water.
I know asw works as I use it most of the time but I prefer NSW

I always get a kick out of people being afraid of using real sea water when artificial salt mixes are mans best attempt at recreating the real deal ;)

Like Paul, I've been using NSW from Long Island waters for quite a few years with no problems. Just use your head when collecting, don't get water from a marina, around rivers or other major run off sources or in bad weather when things are stirred up. Some filtering, time in a dark sealed container, or a little bleach is all that's needed to treat it for use. In some locales, you might want to boost the salinity slightly and the calcium.

Actually the question was if it's safe, not if it's a lot of trouble.
Percula, The water where you live may not be a good alternative but the water where me and Bill live is fine.
I bring two five gallon buckets with me in my boat but sometimes I collect it here which is actually where Bill lives. The water is very clear with a lof of life. Macroalgae grows profusely.
This beach is near the end of Long Island a couple of miles from the Atlantic. I believe there is no better water around.
My fish spawn regularly and as I said, I have not seen a paracite in 30 years.
13094Semararo_house_024.jpg

Paul B I know where you live I grew up in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. I presently live in California and natural sea water is available at some of the local fish stores. I have never had a problem with it the few times I have used it. Unfortunately I don't have a boat to go out far enough to collect water. It's just not practical for me. What ever works for you.

<<< I always get a kick out of people being afraid of using real sea water when artificial salt mixes are mans best attempt at recreating the real deal >>>

Perhaps many people think the worlds oceans were created using RO/DI water and Reef Crystals :lol:

im in san diego, ca and use the local water here from Scripps pier and have had no ill effects on my tank. the only thing is the Ca is a little low but no big deal..

Percula I was born in Brooklyn, Bensonhurst but I now live in Long Island right on the Queens border.
I usually collect water right from shore on a rising tide. I only collect it by boat in the Sound because the beaches there are not too good. Most of the water on the Sound is surrounded by sewage treatment plants or industrial areas. The South shore is much better but I use it where ever I get it.

I am using natural sea water . I get mine from catalina and it is sold to me at my local fish store. but can be bought at petsmart through out the country. My lps corals are doing fantastic

Back