Off topic question on Craig's List advertisement

seldin

Off topic.

Did not know anyone to ask....

Anybody into "Craigs List". I posted an add to sell an item and got 2 guys who tried to email me a lot of questions. However, the same guy started to ask the same questions again and again. Then, tried to bargain with me, without ever seeing the item. However, since the item was a larger item that needed to be seen, I told him that no bargaining unless the guy came down to see item, since no one was going to buy a car site unseen.

Any feedback on "Craig's List" would be appreciated based on the "selling side".

I myself bought some stuff from this site, and based my decision on first asking questions and then going over to the location "Brooklyn" and made a good deal.

I was just surprised on the "price negotiating" when it became clear that the 2 guys were not serious and just trying to "waste my time".

What I ended up doing, was putting a blurb in ad saying "no price negotiating on phone or by email, to reduce the email waste of time. What do you think?

Thanks,

Craigslist is really hit or miss for me, anyway. Lots of crazy people out there. Plus, it's mostly a free site, so ads (especially job ads) are often scams. I've even heard of stories where someone would post a for-sale ad on CL, only to have the buyer come to their house and rob the seller.

That being said, when I first got into the hobby, before RC and similar sites, I used to post things for sale and bought a few items on CL, and most were successful. At least on RC and related sites (even ebay or related) you can see their posting history and even buy/sell feedback... however, with craigslist, you don't have anything like that.

One more word of advice... Make sure you don't post your email publicly (use the link they provide) or you'll get tons of spam email.

Like Eric said, it's a hit or miss with everything related to buying and selling on craigslist. For me, 70% of the emails I receive from items I sell on craigslist are scammers (willing to pay x amount more to secure the item and have it shipped with payment by money order) that are just there to waste time. Even if you put the no negotiation over phone or email, there are ignorant people who will still do that. It leaves me to wonder if they actually get paid to respond to the posting, because it is damn annoying. At least with eBay you have the feedback ratings that you can rely on. One thing I'd like to point out though, if you are in a rush to sell, craigslist with get it sold a lot faster then any other site, plus it is all cash unlike eBay with has fees.

I never use craig's list ....it's like the wild west of the internet! There are alot more safeguards with rules and regulatons on E-Bay.

I have used it many times with no problems you just have to be smart and safe about it. I dont meet anyone at my house or there house if it is a smaller item. I meet in a public place and I always have another person there with me. I also dont carry anymore money then what the item I am buying cost. The biggest problem I see is there is a lot of flaky people (people that want something for nothing) They will tell you they want something and set up a meeting and will never show or they will show yup when you have a set price and then try and knock the price down when you meet. Sounds like what you put in your post is smart just be careful and I think you will be fine.

You're basically asking for advice on how to deal with people. Craigslist is just a classifieds for the internet.

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

I was surprised, because I was surprised on the scammers contacting me... By the advertisement..

My buddy sold a car on there to find out it was a scam, they were going to wire the $$ and he was to ship car over seas.

The money was wired and within hrs police/fbi at his door saying the money is a stolen credit cards from another country and fbi took money back and he was so close giving car to a shipping company that day but thank god they traced to his house or he would of lost 30k car

My buddy sold a car on there to find out it was a scam, they were going to wire the $$ and he was to ship car over seas.

The money was wired and within hrs police/fbi at his door saying the money is a stolen credit cards from another country and fbi took money back and he was so close giving car to a shipping company that day but thank god they traced to his house or he would of lost 30k car

Anything that involves shipping with payment via money order or wire transfers are a complete scam. It doesn't matter if its a $10 item or $ 10k item.
I'd be careful when it comes to money orders, unless it is issued by the USPS, since USPS only give money orders with cash payment.

Back