Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Thanks, Vin.
I talked to Spectrapure and I'm doing it.
If it works, Litermeter seems a rather inexpensive alternative to other options.

I talked to Spectrapure on FB the other day and they hinted that they have a continuous duty pump in the works, no details though.

Probably a silly question - Please indulge me

Probably a silly question - Please indulge me

So I have been reading this thread for a few days now and i'm currently on page 40. I have to say that I am so thankful for this thread. I have learned so much from it. I purchased a Masterflex 7550-30 to work with my Geo 612 reactor. I know the peristaltic pump replaces the feeder pump, I just want to make sure I start this up correctly. Do I just place the input end of the pump in my sump and in this way it replaces the feeder pump? Or does it go on the effluent end of my reactor and replaces the needle valve? How is the tank water drawn into the reactor? If possible, can someone post a picture showing how I the reactor.

So I have been reading this thread for a few days now and i'm currently on page 40. I have to say that I am so thankful for this thread. I have learned so much from it. I purchased a Masterflex 7550-30 to work with my Geo 612 reactor. I know the peristaltic pump replaces the feeder pump, I just want to make sure I start this up correctly. Do I just place the input end of the pump in my sump and in this way it replaces the feeder pump? Or does it go on the effluent end of my reactor and replaces the needle valve? How is the tank water drawn into the reactor? If possible, can someone post a picture showing how I the reactor.

Sorry, how I feed the reactor

Thanks yellowjello, if I pull out from effluent, how is reactor being fed? Its probably my old brain, but I can't see how I'm supplying my tank water through the reactor.

just drop the input pipe into the sump. if you pull from the effluent line, it'll draw from the input pipe that's in the sump. the pump on the reactor just recirculates the co2 internally, nothing else.

Thanks yellowjello, if I pull out from effluent, how is reactor being fed? Its probably my old brain, but I can't see how I'm supplying my tank water through the reactor.

What he means is that if you pull, the pump is connected to the effluent side of the reactor. The intake line going into the calcium reactor remains submerged in the sump so that when pump is on, it pulls the water from the sump through the reactor and then into the pump at which point the pump pushes the water from the reactor it back to the sump.

Thanks guys. It was just hard for me to see the Masterflex pulling enough water from my sump to keep the reactor full. Seems easy enough.

Thanks guys. It was just hard for me to see the Masterflex pulling enough water from my sump to keep the reactor full. Seems easy enough.

The could pull water from your sump a block away. LOL.. They are very powerful and produce a pretty decent amount of pressure. Also, keep in mind that water enters the reactor low and exits the reactor at or above the top so water won’t leave the reactor without it being completely full. Personally, I prefer pushing instead of pulling just because it eliminates potential vacuum leaks and if there is a leak under pressure, it’s easy to spot because of the water drips but either way will work just fine. I originally set mine up to pull before switching to push. My reactor is setup in my shed outside. The tubing runs in through the wall and about 10’ to the sump and pulling let alone pushing back and forth to/from the sump has never been an issue with my Masterflex.

Back