Old style frag auction get together

Tucson Reef

Hey are there enough of the old group left to have a frag auction? I know a lot have left the area, downsized or got out, but if there is enough interest lets set one up in January or February. That will give all time to get frags ready and there should be enough Christmas gifts out there that need stocking/supplies. I have some cool SPS I can frag but don't need to unless there's an auction set up.

Bifferwine, yes you do and you want $5 to attend, you have a group meet before the meet to discus the path/goals/direction of ACRO. As stated above "Old style frag auction get together"

I am up for it John...

Bifferwine--- you are right on the monthly meeting at TCB but some like a less formal type swap/auction with a hang out type atmosphere.

Not knocking what you guys are doing now I attended the last frag auction and I liked it but in the old days we hung out at someones house drank beer discussed reefing and really got to know each other and made friends. We really dont have a big enough reefing community to have such a formal meeting each time. Sooner or later without new reefers we would all be swapping out the same old corals and it will become tiresome and more about what you can sell and not about embracing the hobby we all love.

I am here to help in any way I can to ge this meet started, count me in John-y-Boy.

Michael

I'm game. I would like to see the events take place again but at a consistent location on a consistent basis, with some set of parameters and rules.

I will look into some of this with others and discuss it here later. There is certainly an interest in doing this John, as I have been in contact with many members of the original group and several new members as well.
Cheers

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11259176#post11259176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tucson Reef
Bifferwine, yes you do and you want $5 to attend, you have a group meet before the meet to discus the path/goals/direction of ACRO. As stated above "Old style frag auction get together"

For the record, I have nothing to do with ACRO, or their policies. I just attend. So it's unfair to say "Yes you do, and you want $5 to attend." I just show up.

As in the Tucson community. I wasn't sure if you were aware of it or not. You know, there is a chance that you hadn't heard of the monthly ACRO meets, and I was just letting you know about them. Why so unfriendly and, frankly, flat out rude/mean? You could have just said, "Yeah I know about those, and don't feel like paying the money that ACRO asks for." No wonder nobody on these boards can seem to get a regularly meeting Tucson reef club going long-term. For some reason, there always seems to be a lot of antagonism, finger pointing, and general rudeness in this community. I really don't get it.

As best as I know, 2$ is what is voluntarily contributed to the waitress hosting our group and $3 if you want to help with ACRO but none of it is required. Its not like club dues :)

Sierra Vista/ Tucson Reef Keepers

Sierra Vista/ Tucson Reef Keepers

I'm also game. Are we looking for a location? LMK

I am going to try and find a location for us, hopefully one that works for everyone. If you have any suggestions let me know. I think it would be cool to get together and have some frag trading and such.

Just for some clarification, ACRO does not charge a fee or any dues. All the money accepted thus far was done by donation.

I also want to point out that we have had NEW faces at each of our meets. This is a growing community!

I'm unsure why "Some People" feel the need to try to sidestep something that we have put forth a good effort to create. The "old" group meet on a whim and there were usually discussions as to where the meet was going to be held all the way up until the last few days before the meet. What ACRO is doing is bringing some stability to the Tucson and surrounding area reefers so that we can have these meets, hang out, drink beer, and discuss our hobby, which we do every time. If you haven't attended an ACRO meet I would suggest you do so. You might find that you actually like it. There is no reason we can't have a meet at someones house if they are up to volunteer. ACRO is not "planted" to one idea or one location, in fact a Show and Tell meet at someones house would be great.

Thank you Bifferwine and Bones for stepping up and being heard.
To all the others be on the look out for our post on the next meet.
Thank you all for your support.

-Tommy

Hey, I will be back in town the weekend before Christmas. I didn't see any prospective dates. If I am in town, I wouldn't mind hanging out for awhile. I still have a few dry goods that I would like to get rid of before I move my stuff out here to Orange County.

Colophon- I don't think anyone was trying to "sidestep" anything ACRO has done thus far.

TucsonReef started this thread with the sole purpose of having a get together with some of the old reefers and have a trade/auction.

He never mentioned anything about not attending acro or even comparing this meet with acro. Bifferwine chimed in with the acro event that takes place.

Bottom line, this auction/trade meet has nothing to do with acro and is just a friendly get together for some of the older members of RC and anyone who would like to attend and enjoy the company of other reefers.

I dont think it was cool to advertise your ACRO auction on this thread as you could have started a new thread and not "sidestep" this one.

Michael

I don't think anyone was trying to offend the ACRO people, this is just something different and has nothing to do with trying to "sidestep" the other meeting.

Do people want to meet up on the North end of Tucson or more toward the campus area? I am going to try and find a place if I can, so voice your opinion on where the meet should be.

Zach- It is going to suck not having you around.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11259176#post11259176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tucson Reef

In my opinion this sounds like a negative remark aimed at ACRO.
Obviously it sounded that way to others as well.

"Bottom line, this auction/trade meet has nothing to do with acro and is just a friendly get together for some of the older members of RC and anyone who would like to attend and enjoy the company of other reefers."

This is the whole point of ACRO!

Location,location,location

Location,location,location

If we're doing Old Timers I believe we should try to keep the event as far south as possible. I believe this all started as a Sierra Vista Forum and Tucson joined in years ago. This will shorten there drive and the Sahuarita people will be closer. So the campus area might be best, or someplace close to a freeway ramp further south. Were here if you need help.

P.S.- unless you want to bbq in Jan.!!!! :dance:

Back