OMG!!!! P.U.!!!!!!!!!!! Tank is suddenly VERY stinky!!!

Hannagrrrl1990

So I went to my tank to feed last night and when I approached it the stench nearly knocked me over. I want to say the smell is ammonia, but parameter-wise there doesn't seem to be anything amiss. Besides, it doesn't QUITE match. It's definitely a smell I've recognized before, but I can't place it for the life of me. It's gotten so bad that I say "P.U." every time I go in that room now and I literally have to pinch my nose with two of my fingers just to keep from gagging. Any idea why it is so stinky? Or what is causing the stinkiness? Any tips for mitigating the stinkiness?

Let me just reiterate...P.U.!!!!!!

when I pull bubble algae it is gross smelling

any algae above the water line?

anything die in there?

when is the last time you cleaned your collection cup?

Think of anything that touches air and water in my opinion

How old is your tank?

Water that stinks doesn't sound normal unless you are cycling.

Is your sump area open, are you smelling the skimmate from the skimmer? Now THAT is some horrible stuff.

Dead snail in the tank?

More info needed.

As mentioned I would check to see if something died, also run some fresh carbon, do a large water change (good time to check for death, or algae maybe above water line). I also would check overflows too. I know sand can give off a sulphur smell if it has any decaying matter. Maybe open windows if possible and air out the room. Also check around the tank to see if something jumped out and died on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotten egg smell, if that, is hydrogen cyanide, black gunk, really bad news. Tanks don't as a rule smell. Something bad is going on. Cut back on feeding, do a 30% water change, plus another 20% in two days, run a carbon bag in the water flow and have a bottle of Prime on hand. Is there anything alive in there?

Not sure if the OP is engaging in a little hyperbole or not, but it is certainly possible for a tank to get that 'bay at low tide' smell after a feeding. Not a 'gaggable' smell, and it shouldn't be smelly otherwise.

Definitely nothing dead. That was the first thing I checked, and I plan on doing a full water change as soon as I get a chance (I do 20% weekly).

And no hyperbole...well, it depends what you consider "gaggable." Like I said, it's bad enough to make me pinch my nose and I felt concerned enough to create an account on here to ask for help. I've definitely had the stinky "low tide" smell before and this is definitely more distinctive (distinktive) and stronger. I'm actually starting to think it's my xenia, but I've never smelled it so strong and I have no idea what could be making it soooo stinky.

Not sure if the OP is engaging in a little hyperbole or not, but it is certainly possible for a tank to get that 'bay at low tide' smell after a feeding. Not a 'gaggable' smell, and it shouldn't be smelly otherwise.

+1

Yeah that low-tide smell is common, but you shouldn't have to hold your nose when you get near the tank. But you could be smelling skimmate. That stuff will make you dry-heave if it is concentrated enough. But to add to what Sk8r said, shouldn't the sulfur smell go away after smelling it for a bit?

I spilled some prime on my tank stand before and it smells awful so that could be it if you use prime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spilled some prime on my tank stand before and it smells awful so that could be it if you use prime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, Prime has that faint rotten egg smell to it.

If it truly is the tank, I would run some carbon to take up that smell.

Maybe something in your kit of tank stuff? I notice towels and whatnot can get a little ripe if I leave them out (something the wife reminds me of constantly haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back