Opinions on EVC 10k's?

Urabggr

Right now I have EVC 14ks and I guess I'm satisfied with them, but not overly so. My plan is to switch to 10k bulbs and get 3x24" T5's for actinic supplimentation. I was originally thinking XM 10k's because those appear to be the industry standard until I saw this tank:

DSC07160.jpg

Apparently its lit with only EVC 10k's. This tank alone makes me really wanna get the EVC's. Anyone have any experience with EVC 10k's? Also, what specific T5 bulbs should I get to suppliment with? Thanks!

I used the 10K EVC for about 2 yrs. No complaints they were great white looking bulbs. I just recently switched to the Reeflux 10K's. Haven't used them long enough to comment yet. I'm also using the EVC 14K bulbs now also. I like them, but plan to try more blue and switching them for the 20K XM's for a try.

I don't have room on my tank to use actinics, using the LA III reflectors. So I just use 10K and another SE 400 in the blue range for supplement.
Sorry no help with the T5's.

we used evc 10k on the PSU hub tank for over a year, colors looked just fine, but at 400w they were more intense than the XM 10k even so it was a bit overkill.

Znut, since you also had the 14k's, how would you say they compare? Right now I'm almost positive I'm gonna go with the EVC 10k's... they look like just a great bulb.

Urabggr, I like them they were not too blue at all. I had the combo of EVC 10K and the EVC 14K all 400's using blueline e-ballasts. I had good growth and very nice colors. Just decided to give these other bulbs a try. I just want more color now than growth. (if you know what I mean). Anyway, I think you'll like the EVC 10K. I used the Ushio 10K before, and the EVC is a so much whiter bulb and higher par. Hope this helps.

Have 3 of the EVC 10K HQI 250's - bright crisp white. We love them and the corals seem to as well. To me, they look good without any "accent" lights - but we do have 2 96 watt actinics for sunup/sundown and company.

plaz any pics of your tank. I am also looking into the evc but would like some picts. Thank

Re: Opinions on EVC 10k's?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8019046#post8019046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Urabggr
Right now I have EVC 14ks and I guess I'm satisfied with them, but not overly so. My plan is to switch to 10k bulbs and get 3x24" T5's for actinic supplimentation. I was originally thinking XM 10k's because those appear to be the industry standard until I saw this tank:

DSC07160.jpg

Apparently its lit with only EVC 10k's. This tank alone makes me really wanna get the EVC's. Anyone have any experience with EVC 10k's? Also, what specific T5 bulbs should I get to suppliment with? Thanks!

Do you know who's tank that is?

Yeah, its a guy by the name of Alessandro Rossi. I've seen pictures of it a bunch of times on reef central and wanted to find out more about the tank.

The PAR reading on the EVC 10K w/ HQI ballast is out of this world, 147 by Sanjay.
Urabggr, where are you planning to purchase the bulb, Ocean Encounter has them but under EVC Tech for $56.95, is this the same bulb?

I use the Phoenix now but just learned that after about 5 months, the bulb really goes down hill. Loses a ton of PAR, I'm not sure why though.
I'm really looking into these EVC's but I need to make sure that it isn't yellow b/c I run no actinic supplement.

I'm planning on buying the bulbs from oceanencounter because thats where I bought my setup from originally and they have good prices. Also, i really don't know where else you can get EVC bulbs at.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8036036#post8036036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
I use the Phoenix now but just learned that after about 5 months, the bulb really goes down hill. Loses a ton of PAR, I'm not sure why though.
I'm really looking into these EVC's but I need to make sure that it isn't yellow b/c I run no actinic supplement.

me too...for my case...I can't run the Xm due to IC compatibility.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8036081#post8036081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
What is IC compatibility?

a while back, XM DE is having problem to fire up with IC. I dont know about that right now.

i have been all over the map with lighting

i went thru 250w DE AB20ks... then to 250wp14kDEs... then to 400wRadiumSE on HQI (was happy with this)... and then to 250wSExm10ks for a more natural daylight look. I went to the XMs because they have a ppfd similar to the 400wRadiumsSE on HQI, test at a CRI of about 11,000k, but less power usage and a whiter look. Well, I couldnt get 3 XM 10ks to all burn the same color... actually they were pee-pee yellow (thanks word sensor)and my corals suffered. They were ok the first day or two.. but over about 3-4wks, i couldnt stand it anymore. SO... i went with 400w SE EVC10ks on magnetic. I am now happy. I can even run them without actinics and not be too upset, although i prefer a pair of actinics to be ran with them. I get a nice crisp, clean, natural daylight look without all the yellow.

I have excellent PAR readings* and light reaching parts of the tank that have otherwise been dim. I also saw some colors start to spark alive in some corals that have been dull/idle for a while.

(*1000-1100 ppfd @ water surface with bulbs 9" off the water in spider reflectors)

I really like this lighting set up, but i wont be able to make a fair judgement of their effects over time because i am in the process of re-'scaping my tank.

If you want pics, I dont have any with the evc10ks installed. :(

Back