Opinions on EVC 10k's?

Ok before I buy these because half the posts were about 400 watt and the other is 250, how do you guys like the 250's? My XM's are a slight yellow without the actinic. Will the EVC give me a crisp white before actinic or is it similiar to the XM? I've had excellent growth with my XM's so I'm leary of switching just yet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8037563#post8037563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
i have been all over the map with lighting

i went thru 250w DE AB20ks... then to 250wp14kDEs... then to 400wRadiumSE on HQI (was happy with this)... and then to 250wSExm10ks for a more natural daylight look. I went to the XMs because they have a ppfd similar to the 400wRadiumsSE on HQI, test at a CRI of about 11,000k, but less power usage and a whiter look. Well, I couldnt get 3 XM 10ks to all burn the same color... actually they were pee-pee yellow (thanks word sensor)and my corals suffered. They were ok the first day or two.. but over about 3-4wks, i couldnt stand it anymore. SO... i went with 400w SE EVC10ks on magnetic. I am now happy. I can even run them without actinics and not be too upset, although i prefer a pair of actinics to be ran with them. I get a nice crisp, clean, natural daylight look without all the yellow.

I have excellent PAR readings* and light reaching parts of the tank that have otherwise been dim. I also saw some colors start to spark alive in some corals that have been dull/idle for a while.

(*1000-1100 ppfd @ water surface with bulbs 9" off the water in spider reflectors)

I really like this lighting set up, but i wont be able to make a fair judgement of their effects over time because i am in the process of re-'scaping my tank.

If you want pics, I dont have any with the evc10ks installed. :(

Hey Kip,
I am looking to get 3 EVC 10K 400w SE's and supplement with my 140W VHO's also...pretty much the same setup as yours except that I am using IceCap Elec. Ballasts.......and my tank is 30" deep. How deep is your tank?
How are your SPS liking this setup?
Your thoughts so far?????

my tank is 28" high... no problem with nice, bright light down to the bottom... my acros are a little sketched from all the change in lighting in the last month (and the 3 weeks they were subject to the d@mn XM bulbs

i am about 10-12 days into the evc and all is well... they are staying white too... i think i have finally settled on my lighting

Well I'm waiting till the 4th and see if I can get 3 aquaconnects ordered. If not, I'll stick with XM. Maybe the Iwaski 250 watt bulbs that someone was talking abou will be nicer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8064870#post8064870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
my tank is 28" high... no problem with nice, bright light down to the bottom... my acros are a little sketched from all the change in lighting in the last month (and the 3 weeks they were subject to the d@mn XM bulbs

i am about 10-12 days into the evc and all is well... they are staying white too... i think i have finally settled on my lighting

KIp,
Who makes EVC bulbs?..Are they any good on HQI ballast?

mike

I talked to the last vendor and apparently they have stopped ordering them also. I guess the company that ships them here is pretty difficult to work with so I don't know anyone else now that carries them. So I'll stick with XM again.

carries EVC?

vince @ oceanencounter can hook you up

chad @ reefscience can get them (will soon list them on his site)

mshur... i ran them (400s) on an HQI ballast just fine... then found they actually have better PAR on regular magnetic... not sure who makes the bulbs.

Thankx kip...I have hqi ballast with 2 x Radiums 20k... I found its kind of hard to keep reds/orange /yellow color with them..
Thats why i was looking into 10k... I dont really wanna spend more $$ for new ballast,would u recomend soem other good bulb for HQI

mike

german SE bulbs run most dependably on hqi ballasts

so i'd say the AB or Ushio would be a good choice, but looking at their CCT and ppfd... the EVC 10k on hqi still outperforms them

some other SE bulbs looks good on paper on hqi, but i dont know how dependably/safely they will run (example, the xm10k400w)

personally, i am not an XM fan... many others have had good luck, but i went thru 6x 250w 10kXMs about a month ago trying to get 3 to all be the same color... never happened. Your mileage may vary.

U right ,i just looked at Sanjay site and evc better then all others...
By any chance do u have old bulb , i can buy from u and try on my HQI ballast.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8088641#post8088641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MSHUR
ohh... good... How do u like them..?

i am finally happy with my lighting :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8088655#post8088655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MSHUR
In China...wow..And they outperform AB and Ushio's...
:lol: :lol: :lol: is that some.

Back