Opinions on EVC 10k's?

Hi Kip, Based on yours and others experiences posted on this thread I bought some 400w SE 10k EVC's from Ocean Encounters today. I will also be running them on PFO magnetic pulse start ballasts and my tank is 28” high. I have been getting really good color from the Radium’s but I wanted to try something different. Anyway, did you experience a big color shift going from the Radium’s to the 10k EVC’s? I guess the biggest thing I am worried about is losing some of the great color I have gotten from my corals using the Radium bulbs. What do you think? Has anyone else made this leap?

Nate

i am now getting purple out of a prostrata that insisted on being dull for a year and a half

pinks are great, oranges are great, yellow is great, flourescent green is great, deep green is great, and the tort is still blue

the only thing to consider.... with blue bulbs... the blue light can make a coral look more colorful than it really is... has to do with reflection and the way our eyes see color and all kindsa stuff well over my head. So when you first go to 10k... you actually see the "true" color state of your corals and you may not be happy, but with other good conditions and time the corals should look as good, if not better, than under blue bulbs. Sanj explained this during his visit last year.

I tried 10ks before for a day or two and saw a coupla brown corals that werent there under blue bulbs. This made me put the blue bulbs right back in. It had to sink in that it wasnt the 10ks that made the coral brown, it was the blue bulbs tricking me into thinking the coral had some color.

Cool! Now I have to decide whether I should or shouldn’t acclimate my corals to their new lighting. Should I just reduce my photoperiod, put some window screen on top of the tank, or just go for it? Does anyone have any suggestions/experiences to share?

Personally, I am going to use window screen as a buffer and keep my photoperiod the same. Let my corals tuff it out.....:D
I am making a huge leap..I currently have the worthless sunburst 12k's which have absolutely no par value whatsoever...
I second the congrats....:D

1:30p-12:30a VHO (a lot of times i manually shut off the vhos and just go halide)
2p-12a halide

Thanks Kip......I appreciate the Compliment :thumbsup:

Nate: Did you order your bulbs from Ocean Encounters Today? I just recieved a call from Vince and he told me that the 400w bulbs are in customs.....aaarrrrgg! :mad2: and not sure when they will be released.......

If they are being held in an ocean container by customs chances are they will be released within a few days dependent on the reason, a lot of times if there is a spot inspection and there are not proper documents they will hold the goods until they get a copy of original docs from origin (China, etc.) with original marks (signatures and stamps). Chances are because the ports are so busy right now with holiday merchandise coming in things are just being held up do to congestion, big names like Target and Wallmart get top priority on movement of freight over most other small shippers during this time of year.

If the package is a small parcell like a UPS, DHL or Fed Ex that's a different story, those tend to get rejected back to the sender.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8131355#post8131355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Acroholic
Nate: Did you order your bulbs from Ocean Encounters Today? I just recieved a call from Vince and he told me that the 400w bulbs are in customs.....aaarrrrgg! :mad2: and not sure when they will be released.......

Yes, Vince called me as well. I am a little bummed but it was cool that he actually called and told me in person. He seemed like a very nice guy and I would definitly order from him again. Vince said he should have them in by this Friday so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I can’t wait to see how my corals react to the new bulbs! :D

I feel like taking the EVC plunge, but I'm a little worried about the extra PAR. Right now I have 250W Phoenix 14k DE on the PFO M80 ballast, so according to Sanjay, it's putting out around 90 ppfd. But the 10k EVC is something like 150 ppfd. Am I going to melt the lps I have that are about a foot from the top of the water?

I run the EVC 250DE and its very white. The PAR from these bulbs is significantly higher then other 250's in its class, and its whiter then most 10k's. Only reason I mention it is some seem to be disheartened that the 250 doesnt perform well, when in fact it does. Not really fair to compare a 250 watt to a 400 :)

Those of you who are looking for a 250DE with good par and not obnoxiously yellow will probably be happy with these bulbs.

I have run these bulbs for about 10 months and until this thread, thought I was alone :)

Excuse me for hijacking this thread, but since it involves a vendor who carries the EVC 10k bulbs, I find it relevant to post this here. Since Vince at OceanEncounter wants to air his dirty business in a public forum, ( Thread in Mention ) I will state as a customer that anyone even considering ordering EVC bulbs should NOT buy them from this vendor. I cancelled my order and will place my order with chad @ reefscience since he bothers to answer phones and return emails in a prompt an efficient manner.
VINCE AT OCEAN ENCOUNTER HAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED!

Sorry guys...I apologize but I just have to vent. Carry on.....:D

Acroholic,

As you can see half way down the page in this tread you say I called you.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=915520&perpage=25&pagenumber=5

Thanks Kip......I appreciate the Compliment

Nate: Did you order your bulbs from Ocean Encounters Today? I just recieved a call from Vince and he told me that the 400w bulbs are in customs.....aaarrrrgg! and not sure when they will be released.......

I have talked to you multiple times since then.
I am sorry I cannot ship you something I do not have yet.

Vince

look Vince..I really don't want to go toe to toe with you... tit for tat.....that is just childish and immature.....your business sucks..bottom line...the phone call was the day I placed the order..look at the date of my post....

I am thinking about trying the evc 10k se 250 watt on my icecap ballast. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how they like it and were to get one. If you could post a picture that would be great or you can shot me an email.
miezza@msn.com
Thanks
Michael
P.s. I am running a 250watt se 13k megachrome I like the color but the par is very low looking for something better.

Acroholic,

I did not want to get into here either but you opened the door and I am just defending my company. By telling our side.

Here are 3 quotes that you made showing that we talked on at least 3 seperate times since order was place 1 week ago

ummmmm...........that call was the day the order was placed.....over a week and a half ago.....

You guys never answer emails or have ever returned a phone call till monday when I threatened to cancel the entire order.

Yes, I did request to change the order. But only and only after I called a day after it was supposed to be delivered

Vince

Back