Opinions on EVC 10k's?

Hey Kip, that tank is looking awsome !! Save those colonies you want to get rid of... I will be needing frags in a few months here.:D :D

I do like the EVC bulbs, they have great PAR also look nice. I do not even use any actincics with any of the 10Ks. But then, I am known to like the yellowish sunshine look.

Good bulbs.. get them from Vince.

sanjay.

'sup sanj?

yeah... i shoulda just listen to ya a year ago... i am hard headed sometimes :)

gimmie a holla sometime

Ocean Encounter is sold out of the 250 10K DE bulb. Anyone know where else I can find it?
Sanjay, would you say the look with the bulb above and a HQI ballast would be a bright white w/ hint of blue. That is what I'm looking for. I've been following your build, good going!

Well if Sanjay himself recommended them, then its a done deal! As soon as I get the T5's ready, I'll be ordering the EVC 10k's from Vince.

cant speak for sanjay... but i believe his preference in evc 10k is specific to the 400w. IMO, the 250w seems to perform much differently (per his test data)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8108749#post8108749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
cant speak for sanjay... but i believe his preference in evc 10k is specific to the 400w. IMO, the 250w seems to perform much differently (per his test data)

Kip, i see what you saying the 400W EVC bulb is much better than the 250W.

The XM 250W bulb is much better than the EVC 250W SE running on the IC ballast or a regular M58 ballast .

CCT on the XM 250W bulb is [11543] on the IC ballast and [12083] on M58 ballast and the EVC is [6076] on the IC ballast and [6491] on the M58 ballast
PPFD on the XM 250W bulb is [115] on the IC ballast and [137] on the M58 ballast and the EVC is [103] IC ballast and [96] on the M58 ballast.
As you see by the the numbers giving by Sanjay the XM 250W SE bulb on the IC ballast or regular M58 ballast has higher CCT and has more par .
But as you said it is different story when you go to 400W SE bulbs.:D

Last edited:
XMs... werent a good story for me, even though i really liked the numbers from sanj's testing. Went thru six bulbs and could get any of them to look like ~11000k after a coupla days burn in. :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111617#post8111617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
XMs... werent a good story for me, even though i really liked the numbers from sanj's testing. Went thru six bulbs and could get any of them to look like ~11000k after a coupla days burn in. :(
250W ?

Think he mentioned the 400w. I just bought 3 new XM 10K 250 watts from Marinedepot. I've had no issues yet with them and since I can't find aquaconnects, I'm stuck with XM's

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8113595#post8113595 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k
Think he mentioned the 400w. I just bought 3 new XM 10K 250 watts from Marinedepot. I've had no issues yet with them and since I can't find aquaconnects, I'm stuck with XM's
This is my third set not a problem yet nice and white.
I use two 96W pc 420-460 with the 10K XM 250W and looks very good.

Does anyone have an XM and an EVC side-by-side? I think if we could get a picture of that, it would be extremely helpful.

Wow, Kip, that tank is amazing!!

Oh, I just read that the testing was not good for the EVC 250W bulbs. :( Darn, now I just want a 250W DE bulb that will give me the look of your tank and also good performance.

-Angela

never used the 250w... but looking at test results.. .the ppfd is lower (as you'd think going from 400 to 250) and the CCT seems to be bit more on the yellow side.

Hi Kip,

Ok, I just checked and it looks like your cct is 8441.

So, bulbs that seem in that range with good PAR for a 250W DE are:

Geismann 13k coral at PAR = 126, CCT = 9816
AB 10K PAR = 104, CCT = 8225

Not sure if the Geismann 13k coral is the same as the "megachrome marine." If so, both the AB and Geismann are about the same price (expensive, $90+), but if they are really this good maybe I should get one of these two.

Are you familiar with these at all?

Thanks!
Angela

i have AB 150wDEs on a 75g work tank and like them... i have a local friend that runs the AB 250wDEs and likes them

i have no experience nor have seen in person geismann bulbs

I know it's an EVC thread but I have a aquaconnect bulb running that I can compare with a 10K XM. Difference imo is the AC is much nicer. However I can't find anyone who sells em anymore.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8090191#post8090191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
pic quality isnt the best.. i was just aiming to show the bulb color... and forgive the raggedness of my reef... i am in the process of removing corals to re-aquascape

Raggedness?....HAH!
Your Tank is Awesome Kip.....:eek2:

I just ordered my 400w SE 10k EVC's today from Ocean Encounters....Paid the extra freight to get em by the weekend. Finally, I hope I'll get some decent light over my reef.

Back