optimal salinity

You can keep FO at lower salinities, but I have always kept my tanks at 35‰

IME, consistency is the key here. I don't think 35‰ would hurt as per kau_cinta_ku's post - This is about the salinity that reef fish naturally dwell in -- just try to keep it steady.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11027277#post11027277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by loosecannon
You should keep it at 1.021. It will help keep down the pests. 1.026 or 35% would not be to smart!

Why would that not be smart? This is the natural environment in which they live.

Many fish stores will keep it lower because salt costs money and the fish will do fine at the lower levels. 1.021 vs 1.026 will not make a huge difference in "pests".

I actually think mg426 has a good idea with splitting the difference. That way you don't have to worry if it changes slightly with evaporation, dilution, etc.

I read somewhere that it is a myth, propagated over time, that we should keep salinity lower. Marine life thrives at approximate SG 1.024 in the ocean so that should be fine in our tanks. Just my 2 cents.

measure some real ocean water and it will probably be closer to 1.027.

Certain places like the Red Sea and lagoons are often 1.030+.

Not such a big deal for fish, but many corals and inverts probably benefit from the additional mineral concentrations.

By the way, SG is temperature sensitive. Make sure you know what temp your hydrometer is calibrated for and make the necessary adjustments. Better yet, get a refractometer and use salinity instead of SG.

Salt

Salt

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11028268#post11028268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mavrk
Why would that not be smart? This is the natural environment in which they live.

Many fish stores will keep it lower because salt costs money and the fish will do fine at the lower levels. 1.021 vs 1.026 will not make a huge difference in "pests".

I actually think mg426 has a good idea with splitting the difference. That way you don't have to worry if it changes slightly with evaporation, dilution, etc.
marv lower like you said less $. And yes it will make a BIG difference in fighting pest!

Re: Salt

Re: Salt

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11031075#post11031075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by loosecannon
marv lower like you said less $. And yes it will make a BIG difference in fighting pest!

IME, 1.021 is not going to make a difference in fighting pests (especially not a "BIG" one). Unless you are running the salinity well below 1.020, any parasites that might attack your fish are still going to survive. Water quality is the best preventative from parasites. If you have live rock, then the inverts will like the natural salinity. I know this is FOWLR not FO, but I just thought I would put that out there.

I would not say it is a "bad idea" to run your aquarium within the acceptable salinity range.

Parasites will adapt eventually to any salinity. Just like most sea creatures.

After many years of running a FO tank, I have found 1.022 to 1.023 is a fine place to target.

The fish do well in this environment and you save a little money on salt. But thats about it. :)

Consistancy is far more important than the number you pick... especially for FO. Pick a number and stick to it.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that lower than natural salinities are beneficial for fish for either disease or stress reasons (unless you go down to true hyposalinity). The only known effect is organ damage. Assuming you're planning to keep a cleanup crew, lower salinities are especially hard on them. Keep it in the natural range of 1.025-1.030.

Speaking of which, how much salt (by weight) per liter would these concentrations be? The salt that I bought just has instructions for volume to volume, but I think weight to volume would be more accurate.

Psu (ppt) is roughly equal to g/L, so you can go from there. 1.025 takes a little more than .25 lb/gal. That's just a starting point though. You should always check the salinity with a hydrometer or refractometer.

Back