Orphek LED lighting

Coming along with my rock design. DT under Orphek Lighting:

IMG_0594_zps02dbda51.jpg

IMG_0597_zpsba1968c0.jpg

I made a small change a couple days ago that had a huge impact on the look (whiter, less blue overall) and the corals didn't react at all so I think this will be my final recipe since I love the look. Or not... I may raise channel 1 even higher and lower 3 to get an even brighter whiter look. Anyhow, here's what I have now:
Ch1: 82% with a two hour ramp morning and night, ten hours total (6@82).
Ch2: 100% with a one hour ramp in the am and 90 min in the pm, 12.5 total.
Ch3: 42% with one hour ramp in am, 2 in pm, 11.5 hours total.
Ch4: 32% with 90 min ramps on each end, 10.5 hours total.

Hi Greg,

I have just purchased 2 of these and currently acclimatising. For you setup is the start time for each channel the same ?
Thanks
Nick

Sorry for the delay Nick. The start times are not all the same- channel one starts 2.5 hours after the the first [channel 2] lights come on. Chanels 3 and 4 start 2 hours after first light.
The look of the tank and corals seems to be much better now that channels 3 and 4 are greatly reduced (38/32%) and channel 1 is greatly increased (90% now). It took me a long time to get around to these levels because I incorrectly thought UV should be kept low-ish and the whites [3] at high settings would be best. Now that I've ran basically the opposite it's obvious that the corals are happier and the tank looks great with high channel 1 and low channel 3 settings. I may even bump channel one all the way to 100 to see what happens.

Sorry for the delay Nick. The start times are not all the same- channel one starts 2.5 hours after the the first [channel 2] lights come on. Chanels 3 and 4 start 2 hours after first light.
The look of the tank and corals seems to be much better now that channels 3 and 4 are greatly reduced (38/32%) and channel 1 is greatly increased (90% now). It took me a long time to get around to these levels because I incorrectly thought UV should be kept low-ish and the whites [3] at high settings would be best. Now that I've ran basically the opposite it's obvious that the corals are happier and the tank looks great with high channel 1 and low channel 3 settings. I may even bump channel one all the way to 100 to see what happens.[/QUOTE

Thanks Greg that's useful to know. No point re inventing the wheel if somebody else has gone through the learning phase to establish some settings. I am going to set mine to the same how many months did you take to get to these settings and what adjustments did you make at each change ?

Thanks
Nick

You're very welcome. I took forever to get here. Started out with channel 1 medium, 2 high, 3 and 4 medium-ish, gradually increasing channel 3 over time- about 5% a week til it was around 90. Corals didn't bleach and the coral color was good- not great but everything was happy. I didn't like the look though- too blue. Then Scott told me one way to look at the options was that channel 1 and 2 are for color and growth, 3 and 4 are for making the overall color look good to my eye. If I got that wrong blame me not Scott :lol:
That led me to basically swapping 1 and 3 levels- that's what has made the biggest improvement overall. 1 and 2 high, 3 and 4 medium to low- tank looks great and corals are showing very good color. I've had this one millepora that has always been brown since the day I bought it. Since I changed the lighting that brown is slowly turning red.
Since I wasn't just raising one color but raising 1 and lowering 3 I did 10% at a time, one change per week. Don't know if it means anything but there has been no reaction from the corals. Back when I was raising channel 3 anemones and leathers tended to retract for a day or two with each change.

Hi Greg I have set my units up with the same settings but with lower percentages whilst I continue to acclimatise,really like the look so thankyou for sharing. Will adjust my percentages to match yours over the next week or so.

Nick

You're welcome- I did shorten the photo period by one hour.
Still seeing pretty happy corals across the board in terms of polyp extension, coral color and growth. Clams, LPS, mushrooms and toadstool leather all on the sand are doing well, as well as SPS and Euphyllias higher up.

How high off the water do you guys run your lights? I have a chance to get a used V1 and I'm considering it. What is the spread from the fixture. It is upgraded to with the wifi model. Is there any difference between the v1 and the model out now?
Anyone else have a v1 that I can see a picture of the unit
Thanks
Corey

I have two of the v1 units as well as a v2b. All on wifi. The v1 channels are not the same as the v2b. I have them at 13 inches above the water but I would recommend 18 inches for the best look. The v1 is bluer than the v2b easily. The spread and depth of water penetration is substantial. For a single v1 at 100% on all 4 channels at 18 inches above the water, my experience is 36x24easily.

Last edited:
You're welcome- I did shorten the photo period by one hour.
Still seeing pretty happy corals across the board in terms of polyp extension, coral color and growth. Clams, LPS, mushrooms and toadstool leather all on the sand are doing well, as well as SPS and Euphyllias higher up.

Hi Greg,

Great job for sharing your knowledge and experience. I'm using your settings right now and the corals love it.! :thumbsup:

Two questions:
- What are your actual timings and settings at this moment.
- Can you share a recent picture or video of the lighting and the response of your corals?

King regards,

Vincent

Last edited:
It's been too long since I took pictures or video- it's on my to do list. The corals have been growing like crazy the last several months- to the point where I really need to get in there and do some fragging. Here are the settings that I've been using for quite a while now:
Screenshot11.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot3.jpg

Channel 4 is the same as 3.

You got me motivated to snap a few shots :)
2015001.jpg

2015002.jpg

2015003.jpg

2015004.jpg

2015005.jpg

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your super quick reply. Great screenshots;thanks for sharing, what 's the programming on channel 4?

Woow... what a results!!! :dance: Cool and indeed inspiring.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Vincent

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your super quick reply. Great screenshots;thanks for sharing, what 's the programming on channel 4?

Woow... what a results!!! :dance: Cool and indeed inspiring.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Vincent

Oops...I saw your answer about channel 4 below the pictures a bit later...:smurf:

Kind regards,

Vincent

Greg,

I love the tri-color and now that I know where to get a replacement for the one I lost in the crash......

This was mine and I'm glad to see that you are getting the same results. The corals are looking beautiful. Polyp extension is awesome.

Keep the pics coming.

Wow that is pretty! Mine has changed quite a bit since I got it. Was nearly dead but came back pretty quick. For a while I thought the whole thing was going purple but then it morphed into what you have.

Hey guys have any of you had a hair algae problem pushing that much light? I've been adjusting my v2 ch 1 running 73% ch 2 83% ch 3&4 30% with the full light cycle at 8hrs. Nitrates 0 phosphates 0. Lights are 16 inch over my 90g. For some reason I'm still battling hair and a touch of cyano. Any suggestions?

I've dialed the red channel back to 20%- I think that might help with the algae. I've also got the full brightness only for about 6 hours, long ramps on either side.
One thing I've picked up on lately when I experimented with raising channel 3 to 50 to get a whiter look- my tri-color started to show faded blues within only a couple days. Back to 40 and the intense blues came right back within a week or so.

Sounds closer to mine. I only run my heights the intensity for 6 hrs or so. I will try dialing down 3&4 a little more. Thanks for the input Greg.

Gregr have you noticed channel 3 have the most effect in bringing out your tri color? I have a frogspawn that has seemed to turn very fleshy dull color with my current settings.

Back