OT: HELP NEEDED ASAP, Computer help

hahmedR1

Anyone near Streamwood know a lot about computers I think I have a virus, its asking me to purchase anti-virus program for 79.99 and I cant delete it from the add/remove programs???

I've got some red mushrooms and xenia I could frag for the person that can help me with this.

Please anyone let me know if they can help

Hal

Its likely more of a malware type trojan. My machine got hit with something like this a couple of weeks ago. I was finally able to get rid of it by doing a system restore to a date prior to the onset of the fake anti-virus showing up. Then download windows defender from Microsoft's web site, update to the latest DAT definition and scan the heck out your machine. Do the same with your AVS software. Hopefully, it'll get the job done!

If you have XP, go to the help center and search for "System Restore"

You should then see a "run the system restore wizard", run it and then pick a time in the past before this issue appeared and restore to that day. You won't lose any files or documents created, it really only restores your system to that day and point. (i.e. all system changes are restored, programs installed are reversed, etc).

Then if it's successful, immediately update your antivirus and if you haven't already, download Microsoft defender fro free and install that.

good luck.

it is a fake Antivirus program that is really a virus it's self. I see it all the time. I work for a second job for Geek Squad in Best Buy.. If you feel like bringing it to the best buy in downers grove tonight, I'll get rid of it for ya... no charge. It's hard to get rid of, because when it excutes on start - up it changes it's name and .dll file. When your antivirus program finds it, it removes the newly named .dll file but doesn't delete the root.

just a suggestion for AVS, i use Avast free edition and i find it very nice. Also what i do sometimes is take a really good known anti-virus program, which is usually trialware, and scan it. Then when the results come up, it sometimes lists were the corrupted file is, then you could go and find/delete it, then get rid of the software. It works well, but takes a long time.

Before you do all the sytem restores and wiping your pc try the bellow.

1. D/l a good spyware cleaner
Lavasoft adaware

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-20...=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlPid=10903602

or try spybot

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?tag=mncol

2. Get yourself a antivirus, a free one would be AVG
http://free.avg.com/

or your internet provider might offer you a free copy of Mcafee, I know comcast does.

3. Go into control panel and goto ad/remove software and look for things that look suspecius like toolbars, antivirus etc...

you can also get McAfee antivirus free if you are a comcast subscriber.

The system restore is s good option if all else fails and it's not that drastic, unless you go really far back.

I tried it all, but these new virii attach to the explorer.exe shell process and it is very hard to extricate from a system once it is in. It impedes AVS/malware/spyware scanners and does not let you clean the run and runonce keys in the registry, nor purge the virii DLLs from the file system. After spending a night trying every trick I know (unlocker, process explorer, regmon, filemon, countless AVS and spyware scanners, safe mode, msconfig, etc...) the only way to get it out is to restore the registry to an earlier state to prevent the offending software from loading in the first place - using System Restore. If you want to waste time, try the scanners first, but a system restore and only THEN a seek & destory is the fastest cleanest method that has proven to me to work. Case in point, my buddies machine got infected and his system restore service was disabled for some reason - nothing to roll back to and his machine is SOL. I'm re-imaging it for him now. :(

thank you all I will try what mnestroy suggested but if I cant get it done with that, because I'm really dumb when it comes to computers ill shoot you a PM sh0tyme83.

Thanks guys

Hal

Not a problem. .. BrandesFam stated it the best. It's extremely hard to remove because of the explorer.exe attachment. I have software that wil allow me to get rid of it.

As a side note, don't trust those freebie AV/AS programs that come with Comcast or DSL. They are NOT full versions of the programs, that's how they can offer them for free.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14155667#post14155667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sh0tyme83

As a side note, don't trust those freebie AV/AS programs that come with Comcast or DSL. They are NOT full versions of the programs, that's how they can offer them for free.

Can you paste a link to back up this statement?

Thanks

BrandesFam i think is right and mnestroy is somewhat right all those free ones DO NOT WORK unless you buy the full version of the program and the only one that is worth you time is mcaffee buy it and have fun. BUT before you buy that try the system restore.
Matt

Use avast. Its free and the will work.
Good luck!
I use this for my servers along with any clients that have issues on there comps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14155667#post14155667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sh0tyme83

I don't think so, why would they say it's $120 value? Seems like the full product to me. I don't use it, but I'm thinking of kicking my Norton to the curb because this seems like a better option as a Comcast subscriber.

Comcast free McAfee

Feel free to prove me wrong ;)

Go to malwarebytes.org, download the program, let it start and try to to an update. It will probably fail the update, pick a different mirror to update from. After the update runs, perform a quick scan. Remove whatever it finds, reboot the machine.

If you are still having the issue, run malwarebytes in safe mode. This works about 90% of the time in my shop.

Back