OT - In need of wireless router suggestions

captain7359

Hello all,
I am looking at getting a wireless router ann need some suggestions. What is everyone using and how well has it performed? Looks like netgear and linksys are two of the popular brands. Any reccomendations or warnings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Walter

linksys all the way. only configuration suggestion is skipping WEP for security and instead using MAC filtering in the wireless config

Linksys is best... been using it for about 7 years now and clean as can be.. they have upgradable firmware periodically that help keep your firewall in check.

I would not advise that!!! I would skip WEP, but I'd use WPA instead. You should use MAC filtering as well, but MAC filtering is VERY easy to bypass. I'm not very fond of my Linksys, I find that it lacks a lot of the configuration/status options I'd like. Mine is a couple of years old though, maybe they have made some improvements.

Steve

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6835104#post6835104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fat-tony
linksys all the way. only configuration suggestion is skipping WEP for security and instead using MAC filtering in the wireless config

Since when is it easy to bypass a list that only allows a unique identifier for any networking product ever made?

Because MAC addresses are not unique, although they are supposed to be. If you know what you are doing, you can modify your MAC address. Your MAC address is sent in Layer 2 of the IP stack, easily seen by anyone with a wireless card. If you are filtering on your MAC, all someone needs to do is modify their packets to contain your MAC address and they have full access through your Linksys.

Steve

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6835303#post6835303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fat-tony
Since when is it easy to bypass a list that only allows a unique identifier for any networking product ever made?

. . . granted, most people will not know how to do that, but I would not tempt fate by only using MAC filtering.

Steve

and . . . I guess I am getting a little carried away here, but if you are only using MAC filtering I can easily capture every single bit of data you are sending wirelessly if I am in range. If you aren't using any kind of encryption then 90% of what you are sending can easily be captured and decoded. You will still have encrypted links through HTTPS sites, but everything else is wide open.

Steve

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6835342#post6835342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sschafer
. . . granted, most people will not know how to do that, but I would not tempt fate by only using MAC filtering.

Steve

feel free....i'm at 111 maple st hornell, ny.......my SSID is "Mind your own damn business"........honestly, that's the name. If someone is willing to go through that trouble for information on a home network, they need a hobby

or maybe they have a hobby like looking at kiddie pron on open wireless connections, or hacking other systems, or initiating Denial of Service attacks etc. It's not only your personal content at risk, but what can be done with the connection you provide. The FBI is going to see your Linksys WAN address hitting the kiddie pron sites, not the laptop of the person hijacking your connection. Anyway, I'll stop now, but wireless security should be taken seriously.

Steve

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6835442#post6835442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fat-tony
feel free....i'm at 111 maple st hornell, ny.......my SSID is "Mind your own damn business"........honestly, that's the name. If someone is willing to go through that trouble for information on a home network, they need a hobby

well, reason being for MAC instead is i've seen many lock themselves from connection by forgetting password or by setting up password incorrectly.

If someone wants to setup a DOS from a connection that has only a 45KB upstream, they can have at it.

easy enough to reset teh wep if needed.. There is a "reset" button on the router itself.. Personally, I don't broadcast ssid, use web adn have defined my mac filter.

its all about taking teh precautions you can.

linksys, definitly go linksys. Stay away from netgear by ALL means, and belkin isn't much better.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6835442#post6835442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fat-tony

Better than your previous SSID's :)

Some devices will automatically spoof their ssid ( certain routers for example) Mac address filtering is important tho it can be a PIA if you have frequent guests.

The best advice I have for someone picking one of these devices is to look at the admin panel screenshots on the manufacturers websites and pick the one that makes the most sense to you. If you aren't up to speed with the lingo it can be a bit overwhelming to secure your station with a confusing interface.

And if you get nothing else from the tangent the thread took, It should be that security is important.

What are your thoughts on the US Robotics MAX that has the built in USB print server? I need a print server and those alone are as much, or more, as the wireless router!

Thoughts?

I can suggest several, what is your budget and how secure do you actually want to be? Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, Micro$oft, ect..., all make decent routers. If you ar looking for total security, then you go with an appliance like Sonicwall or Symantec. It all depends on just how deep your pocket is and how secure you want to feel.

I also would have a few suggestions, but i agree with a few of the people above. You should use MAC address filtering, it is the easiest way and doesn't slow down data transfer like WEP. I would reccomend getting a MIMO access point, such as ... URL=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124179&ATT=33-124-179&CMP=OTC-17exta6]Link[/URL]

-aaron

Back