OT: What do you put on your hot dog?

I traveled down to Tennessee several years ago for my half-sister's HS graduation. We stopped at a little roadside grub-shack for lunch. They had a chili-slaw dog on the menu, which sounded totally disgusting to everyone else in my party. However, I'm one of those types who will try almost any weird food combinations. I ordered the chili-slaw dog and my first-ever sweet tea. Both were delicious!!!

I was born and raised in a small farm town south of Rockford. I grew up with an eclectic taste for odd food combinations, most of which were born out of necessity when the pennies were running dry and there was slim pickens in the cupboards. Here are some of my other favorite but odd food combinations. My wife (a life-long suburbanite) makes fun of me all the time for these!

-Hot egg noodles topped with cherry compote and sprinkled with homemade croutons
-Dipping PB&J sandwiches in my chicken noodle soup
-Sloppy Joe sandwiches topped with a handful of potato chips and the top bun smooshed down on top to keep the chips from falling out
-Melted peanut butter poured over plain chocolate ice cream (most favorite dessert ever!)
-Dipping my Wendy's fries in my chocolate Frosty (mmm, sweet and salty, hot and cold, smooth and crunchy!)
-Peanut Butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches
-Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff sandwiches
-When I was sick, my grandma would serve me cinnamon toast in a bowl with hot tea poured over it.
-The morning after family movie night, we would take the leftover popcorn, put it in a bowl, sprinkle sugar on top, then pour on the milk. The original Corn Pops cereal!
-Every year for Christmas breakfast, my dad would make us green eggs and ham.
-Wet fries (french fries drowned in brown gravy, mmmmmmmm!)

Well, that's all I can remember for now. Anyone else have any weird foods they enjoy, other than odd hot dog combos?

Back in the day I had to work at McDonalds to pay for school. After doing "Lobby" for months I can never put Ketchup on any thing:mad2:

Mustard or Mayonnaise if you ordering a Le Royal or fries...Please.

Ketchup is sugar and tomatos and the smell is bad.

Bill

To this day every once in a while I have to have a fluff'n nutter sandwich. Thats what my mom always called them and my wife too thinks I'm nuts. If only she would try one. The other one I still eat to this day is, when times were tight my mom would make kluski egg noodles and ketchup.

Oh and melted peanut butter poured over chocolate ice cream....if it wasn't 2 am I'd be heading for the store!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14584348#post14584348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JPSKI25
To this day every once in a while I have to have a fluff'n nutter sandwich. Thats what my mom always called them and my wife too thinks I'm nuts. If only she would try one. The other one I still eat to this day is, when times were tight my mom would make kluski egg noodles and ketchup.

That's some Polish right there.

Being of Polish descent...we had our budget stretchers too...

Kluski noodles, onions fried in butter and sauerkraut all mixed together. ..tasted like Pierogi without all the work.
Mashed potatoes mixed with onions fried in butter. With a cup of cold buttermillk so you could dip the potatoes in before eating them.
Peanut butter sandwiches with apples, bananas, marshmallow fluff...darn near anything. And on ice cream...YUMMM
Homemade sloppy joes, before the invention of Manwich...I still make them the old way. My family always goes crazy for it and Robb...I thought it was almost ILLEGEAL to eat sloppy joes without mashing your chips in it.
Fried veal bologna with onions on rye bread.
Left over cornbread and buttermilk for breakfast (my southern roots showing there)
My chuch cha Emily (polish for aunt) used to give us hot buttered toast with sweetened hot tea with milk in it before we went to school. She also taught me how to make Kruczki (fried dough sprinkled with powdered sugar)
Duck blood soup (don't ask)
Stuffed cabbage, spare ribs and sauerkraut with butter beans, roast chicken...that stuff was reserved for Sunday dinner when times were good. They weren't always, but we survived.
My dad and I had a favorite Friday night ritual...we would watch the scary movies and he would make us homemade potato chips. Red potatoes, sliced thin and fried up fresh, eaten with lots of salt and a Green River.

Great memories here....

I'm old fashioned...I still make my own... Yeah...I think you're right...fried in butter makes anything Polish

I like my hotdog with beer
test014.jpg

Keep it comin', people! I love hearing about all the weird things you like to eat. I believe you can learn a lot more about someone by finding out what they crave than you can by asking where they went to school or where they work or who their favorite sports teams are. Food preferences are so intrinsically personal and intimate, and they are developed over many years from the very moment you are born to where you are today. You may change schools, take a new job, move to a new town, out of state, or even out of country, but you will always take your cravings with you. Every place you go and every event in your life will somehow have an impact on what you eat. You can quickly tell a lot about someone by simply asking them to list a few of the odd comestibles that they must have every once in a while. You can tell if someone grew up living the good life or if their family struggled. You can tell if the grew up on the South side or the North side. You can tell if they are originally from Chicago or if they moved here from New Orleans, San Francisco, or even London. I believe the weird culinary pleasures are the true window to the soul of a person, more so than their education, political beliefs, or even their religion!

So, I want to hear more. I'm calling you all out! Tell us about the weird foods you crave. What odd combinations make your salivary glands kick into overdrive? What twisted treats must you eat in secret for fear of being ostracized or humiliated?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14584351#post14584351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JPSKI25
Oh and melted peanut butter poured over chocolate ice cream....if it wasn't 2 am I'd be heading for the store!!!

Here's another one for you. Pour melted peanut butter over French vanilla ice cream and then crumble a large handful of Ruffles potato chips on top. OMG it's delightful! Salty and sweet. Soft and crunchy. I tried using chocolate ice cream with this once before, but French vanilla works much better. My wife looked like she threw up a bit in the back of her mouth when she saw me do this the first time. And then I chickened her into taking a bite. She was hooked. Now, every time I make this dessert, she demands that I reserve half for her. That said, PB over chocolate is still my all-time favorite. Mmmmmmmm, sho' is good!

A lot of my weird cravings come spontaneous inspiration. I might be cooking dinner or rummaging through the pantry for a late-night snack when I spy a couple food items that most people would never associate with each other. And I'm always like, "Hmm, I wonder what those would taste like together?" I've had a lot of losing combinations, but those that passed the the gag reflex with flying colors usually become instant classics in my book.

One of the weirdest combinations that I tried recently was not only good eats, but had the added benefit of making everyone around me gag a little bit. We were on vacation in WDW and having breakfast at the Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. I ordered a breakfast entree that came with pancakes, bacon, and biscuits with sausage country gravy. I spread a generous amount of butter on the two pancakes, slipped all the slices of bacon in between the pancakes, drowned the pancakes in country sausage gravy, and then proceeded to pour some maple syrup over the whole mess. I cut a hefty bite and put it in my mouth. It was so good it brought a smile to my face. Then I looked up and saw everyone looking at me in horror, my wife, her friend, and even our server, whose face just went pale as a ghost. I simply asked, "What?" And then shoved another bite in my mouth. Priceless!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14586750#post14586750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr. Thingdoer
"onions fried in butter" makes just about anything Polish.
Have you ever tried Alexandra's Pierogi? They have a crazy pierogi store at Belmont and Central, and you can get them frozen at some Polish deli's. They are the best without a doubt. Just like Babcza used to make.
http://www.alexandrapierogi.com/retail.php

The best pierogis my wife and I have found come from AJB Polish Deli. They used to be located in Wood Dale but moved to Bartlett a year or so ago. They are sooooo good! Mmm, potato pierogis broiled in butter with sour cream. Give me some fresh sausage and horseradish and I'm set for life! (And I'm not even Polish!! But my wife is. So I guess that makes me Polish by marriage! ;))

Wierd Food? Not too sure how wierd it is but I like things like:

- Tuna in oil (don't drain it, nothing else, that's it. Far better if it is solid white tuna though)
- Cold meatloaf and Sour Cream Sandwiches
- Yellow Mustard on Fries
- Fried Salmon Patties
- Frozen burritos from the grocery store
- Cold pizza for breakfast is far better than fresh/hot pizza for dinner
- So is cold hungarian goulash or beef stroganoff!
- Top Ramen / Egg Drop Soup (Ramen w/egg stirred in)
- Microwaved flour tortilla with a slice of american cheese and a hotdog rolled up in it - no sauce

- and those little cans of vienna sausages? awesome.

Absurdly, I won't eat spam.

Wolfy's. Even though they don't cook 'em in beer like when I was a kid. Me, I go for spicy mustard, tomatoes, and a little grilled onion.

No ketchup, ever.

In a blue moon, if I grill them at home, I'll put a little BBQ sauce on, though. Usually only if I'm out of mustard though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14587205#post14587205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbW

One of the weirdest combinations that I tried recently was not only good eats, but had the added benefit of making everyone around me gag a little bit. We were on vacation in WDW and having breakfast at the Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. I ordered a breakfast entree that came with pancakes, bacon, and biscuits with sausage country gravy. I spread a generous amount of butter on the two pancakes, slipped all the slices of bacon in between the pancakes, drowned the pancakes in country sausage gravy, and then proceeded to pour some maple syrup over the whole mess. I cut a hefty bite and put it in my mouth. It was so good it brought a smile to my face. Then I looked up and saw everyone looking at me in horror, my wife, her friend, and even our server, whose face just went pale as a ghost. I simply asked, "What?" And then shoved another bite in my mouth. Priceless!!!

Southern born...Chi-town raised makes for a love of anything that you can add hot peppers to and cover with country gravy. My husband will only eat his breakfasts "stacked". Luckily the Lead Hill Cafe is used to it by now...Shelia just yells to the back...it's for Wild Bill and the cook knows what to do. First layer...hash brown potatoes fried with jalapenos and onions...next layer, country fried steak, eggs over easy on top of that, sprinkle cheese on top and cover the whole thing with sausage gravy. Serve with a side of fluffy buttermilk biscuits, butter, honey and maple syrup.

For a cheap dessert, when I was a widow raising my son and $$ was really tight. I used to make Blue Dumplings....just make dumpling batter and drop it into a pot of simmering blueberry juice with cinnamon in it. When done, take out, top with butter and powdered sugar....or brown sugar and sour cream. SO GOOD...

This has evolved into a GREAT thread...just a ton of fun... I wanna see more...you know, the one that makes ya say..."I GOTTA TRY THAT!!"

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14587679#post14587679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
This has evolved into a GREAT thread...just a ton of fun... I wanna see more...you know, the one that makes ya say..."I GOTTA TRY THAT!!"

Tru dat! This is awesome! However, I must sincerely apologize to FiReBReTHa for hijacking his thread and severely derailing the conversation away from his weiner talk!

How many times do I have to do this until I'm officially an OT?

p.s. I gotta try those blue dumplings sometime. That sounds lip-smacking!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14587579#post14587579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ppurcell
Absurdly, I won't eat spam.
what's the matter with you? I put Spam in my ramen noodles or chopped and scrambled in w/eggs

I used to turn up my nose at Spam until my husband fried some up and covered it with country gravy....HHHMMM, I'm beginning to see a theme to my posts...anything (almost) is edible with country gravy on it...That being said...a list of things I won't eat, even if it were swimming in country gravy.

Snail
Brains
Liver
Kidneys
Tripe

Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!!

Phil...you eat Vienna sausages but not Spam...you crack me up:lol: :lol:

I only indulge about once every 5 years, but I love SPAM, always have. I've always eaten it thinly sliced and fried to a slight crisp, then put on toasted white bread with mayo, lettuce, and tomato. Like a BLT, but with SPAM.

I'd eat it more, but I'm embarrassed to be seen with it in my shopping cart...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14588264#post14588264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbW
Tru dat! This is awesome! However, I must sincerely apologize to FiReBReTHa for hijacking his thread and severely derailing the conversation away from his weiner talk!

How many times do I have to do this until I'm officially an OT?

When your ready... you will know.

it takes skill to balance between being onTopic, in an offtopic convo and going offtopic, but not enough to annoy the mods and getting a thread closed out.

This thread reeks of awesomeness, and mustard.

Back