par reading on radion

ekoroknay

example.....If the par reading is 900 with the leds at 100% would it be 450 at the same spot f the leds were 50%?

In theory sounds reasonable to me. Par is the amount of usable spectrum for the coral so my guess would be that's correct. But it is a guess.

Roger

Depends on too many factors. Easiest thing is to measure it with a meter to see. I wouldn't think it would be completely linear but you never know.

Water clarity does affect the amount by quite a bit, so its not linear. Probably <10% difference.

go to ecotech marine on the sponsor page of reef central, someone did a par test on all 3 generations of radions w reading at various depths.

Water clarity does affect the amount by quite a bit, so its not linear. Probably <10% difference.

For his test though he's asking about the change in par with the change in power % of led. I would run this test with no water to c the results. Water is a variable that should not be used for this question in my opinion.

go to ecotech marine on the sponsor page of reef central, someone did a par test on all 3 generations of radions w reading at various depths.

Thanks Sam. When I bought a nice piece of LR ir came with some coral, and there is some kind of monti on the top that seems to be losing color. I thought it might be because of my new tank, but I think it may be because its getting to much light. Ill check out the website.

Did these readings produce much success? I was watching the video regarding PAR for BRS and they recommended you keep your PAR for SPS around 250-350 with a strong preference for the lower end of those numbers.

radionparnumbers-1.jpg

honestly have no idea, I'm assuming these numbers were with all channels at100%, I run mine at 45%. but also supplement w 2 t5s

Do you listen to brs or Dana Riddle or someone like Sanjay? Sanjay actually has a home aquarium and is thought to have some of the best growth and colors ever seen. I spoke with Sanjay at RAP and he is running all channels at 100% for 6 or 7 hours a day and has a ramp up and down. Very different schools of thought. Both can be made to work.

Do you listen to brs or Dana Riddle or someone like Sanjay? Sanjay actually has a home aquarium and is thought to have some of the best growth and colors ever seen. I spoke with Sanjay at RAP and he is running all channels at 100% for 6 or 7 hours a day and has a ramp up and down. Very different schools of thought. Both can be made to work.

My tank is only 18" high and the topmost coral is getting around 325 PAR based on my Biotek Meter. I'd be interested in seeing more of these diagrams where they include tank height. If I ran mine at 100%, my corals would be sizzling.

You would be surprised what coral can adjust to. We never had par meters back in the day but we still had very nice tanks with crazy light compared to what is going on in most homes these days. 400w iwasaki halides have to have ceazy par. People with big tanks were running 1000w halides with coral to the top of the water. Even softies and lps.
Not saying to just crank them up I just think it could be done if you wanted to.

Back