Ph Dropping after adding Corals

shortfuse9113

Is this normal? I read another post somewhere saying corals can release stuff into the water that will lover your ph... I added like 13 frags today and after that it started dropping slowly over the course of last 7 hours or so...

as long as ur pH is within 7.8-8.4 range i wouldnt worry about it. u can try airing out the tank room..

Ph is funny about how easily it's affected. I have even plagued by low pH since I switched from salinity to IO salt. I think part of it is from the addition of 50 lbs of dry reef saver rock and the breeding of bacteria is there. I read somewhere that heavy bacteria breeding can lower pH but I may just be crazy.
I would open a Window amd recheck after some fresh air enters the room. I have also heard that a few ppl have ran skimmer air hose outside... I urge u to read more into that though.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Co2 levels and Alk levels are the main factors for pH in saltwater. If your Alk has been steady then it's Co2 levels. Not levels will vary in your tank from photosynthesis and respiration but tracked with a meter you will see the normal shifts due to this process.

I suspect that the the coral addition didn't affect the pH. I agree that carbon dioxide is the usual cause of low pH. Maybe there enough people in the room to lower the pH, for example.

I agree CO2 is the culprit for pH drops. Corals actually use CO2 during photosynthesis. They may respire some at night but the addition of 13 frags dsoen't seemis likely to cause enough CO2 addition or depletion to be significant, in an average tank.

Back