Picked up a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse...weee...

if you are going to keep wrasses in quarantine it is imperative that the quarantine is up to the same standards of water quality as your main tank. Also lots of decorations (not just PVC pipe) is a good measure (fake corals, plastic plants, and the like) are a good idea as it will give the fish a sense of security.

Also it is not easy to locate a healthy lubbocks. They can originate from the Philippines and we all know what that means. If you find a healthy one however they are very easy to maintain in captivity unless they jump out of the tank or have a bad encounter with the return pump in the sump :( I speak from experience.

What exactly was it eating at the LFS? Try that.

I think that fish that are rock-pickers can satisfy their hunger enough with what they find on the live rock until they (a) eat everything off the rock that is palatable to them, and/or (b) figure out that even though frozen mysis doesn't taste as good as live amphipods, it does fill the belly. And your angel could well have eaten a bunch of nori.

If it was eating well at the LFS, I would just offer it food regularly until it gets comfortable in your tank.

Nice name for the starry, BTW:)

lol...ugly has been getting a little fiesty with the angel, but i beleive that is because the angel was picking at the same rock he was eating on.

I have yet to offer i PE mysis, which will be done tomorrow. I fed heavy yesterday because the blenny was willing...i figured if he will eat, i will keep feeding him for now.

The angel went crazy for frozen brine, so it might just be settling in.

oo sorry about that wrasse :(

Nice pick ups in the new fish :) Any more photos?

Ill keep the camera near by should the angel decide to slow down long enough to get a better shot :)

if you are going to keep wrasses in quarantine it is imperative that the quarantine is up to the same standards of water quality as your main tank. Also lots of decorations (not just PVC pipe) is a good measure (fake corals, plastic plants, and the like) are a good idea as it will give the fish a sense of security.

Also it is not easy to locate a healthy lubbocks. They can originate from the Philippines and we all know what that means. If you find a healthy one however they are very easy to maintain in captivity unless they jump out of the tank or have a bad encounter with the return pump in the sump :( I speak from experience.

Thanks for the tips, how would a lubbocks go with the current combo of fish i have?

Im going to give it a few months and see how this combo shakes out as far as how my tank handles the bio load and how the fish get a long...but i may get another wrasse.

A little update:

Everyone is happy, and everyone is eating well...except the angel.

I have tried all of the follwing atleast 2 times:

Ocean nutrition brineshrimp +
Ocean nutrition Dwarf angel formula
H20 foods Fish & Reef 2 (herbivore diet)
H20 foods fish & reef 1 (omnivore)
PE Mysis
H20 mini mysis
H20 Cyclops
Ocean nutrition formula 1 pellet
NLS Thera A small fish pellet
H20 foods Clams on the half shell
Brine shrimp
flake

All the frozen foods were fed with and without garlic additive. All the fish have gone crazy when i feed those foods, expect the angel that picks at the pieces but always spits them out. The only thing it eats is an occasional part of a H20 mini mysis that has been torn apart, and even then it only eats 1-2 tiny pieces. Everything else its spits out after sampling it.

It spends most of its time picking at my rocks (i dont have any algae either...), and when i turn off my power heads to feed it is the first critter to climb in the powerhead and eat the algal film off from the parts.

Any ideas? It looks to me like its getting a pinched stomach.

It spends most of its time picking at my rocks (i dont have any algae either...), and when i turn off my power heads to feed it is the first critter to climb in the powerhead and eat the algal film off from the parts.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the angel is getting what it wants from browsing, though not enough quantity. Maybe let the tank get a little dirty, or overfeed a bit. Get some algae growing. Can you remove some of the other herbivores to a 'fuge or different tank?

Thats what im guessing as well, judging by what it does all day. I have a bunch of astrea snails and a starry blenny, but i am not too keen on moving the starry blenny into the prop tank (it seems to like to lose fish) and the snails seem to eat more.

If i can easily catch the angel ill trade him into another lfs or to someone with a bigger, dirtier tank that wants a c. angel. Or if he makes it to my break down (around 6 months from now), then i can trade it in then.

Two herbivores in a small cube tank....not a good combo.

Also it is not easy to locate a healthy lubbocks. They can originate from the Philippines and we all know what that means. If you find a healthy one however they are very easy to maintain in captivity unless they jump out of the tank or have a bad encounter with the return pump in the sump I speak from experience.

I couldn't agree more...............I don't understand why people blame a properly set up QT tank when a new fish dies. You should thank your stars that this fish didn't kill or contaminate your display tank.

For the angel,try Nori & fresh seafood chopped to size(shrimp,clam,& scallops) If you still have that QT tank running I'd put it in there where you can concentrate on feeding it so the other fish aren't eating the food.

The fact he's sampling the food means he wants to eat but doesn't like the taste or texture of the food. That's another reason why I like a bare QT, if the fish is hungry, eventually he'll stop spitting out that food when there aren't tidbits on rock to prefer over the food.

I couldn't agree more...............I don't understand why people blame a properly set up QT tank when a new fish dies. You should thank your stars that this fish didn't kill or contaminate your display tank.

For the angel,try Nori & fresh seafood chopped to size(shrimp,clam,& scallops) If you still have that QT tank running I'd put it in there where you can concentrate on feeding it so the other fish aren't eating the food.

The fact he's sampling the food means he wants to eat but doesn't like the taste or texture of the food. That's another reason why I like a bare QT, if the fish is hungry, eventually he'll stop spitting out that food when there aren't tidbits on rock to prefer over the food.

The QT tank had about 40 lbs of LR (in a standard 29 gallon) and 20 lbs of live sand. The water params were actually better than in my display...its a moot point now though, its been taken down for a good while.

Ive tried nori, soaked and un soaked as well as brown and red algae soaked and unsoaked. I have not tried fresh seafood though, thanks for the idea!

Back