pics of my new fish/sps reef :)

The Dow "Great Stuff" works great for this. Any hardware store will have it.
I used about a case of it to secure a filter bed under a 2000g exhibit. The took the tank down 2 years later and are still cursing me. They had to GRIND it out. :D
I like aragocrete for this too.
Both are reefsafe when cured.

Basically just let it dry well. It is usually thoroughly dry the next day, but give it a few to be sure. As mentioned above (I think, I just read 2 or 3 threads on the subject), you could cure it for a few days in freshwater, then saltwater, etc.
Anytime I've used it, it was a couple of days dry, then fillerup.
The aragocrete needs to be cured for several weeks in freshwater to neutralize the high pH. Do a waterchange every couple of days, til it no longer rises above 8ish.
HTH
Chris

in regards to the foam background, there is another european manufacturer of a very similar background - I came across their site when I kept cichlid tanks. If I can find the URL, I will post it. To my knowledge, they did not make anything other than backgrounds for freshwater biotopes - but the detail of these things is mindblowing.

-Ben

Great tank.

Does regluing that glass bother you??? I think that would always be in the back of my mind.:rolleyes:

angiras said:
in regards to the foam background, there is another european manufacturer of a very similar background - I came across their site when I kept cichlid tanks. If I can find the URL, I will post it. To my knowledge, they did not make anything other than backgrounds for freshwater biotopes - but the detail of these things is mindblowing.

-Ben

That would be Back-to-Nature. They're like $300 for a 48" section.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I may give the foam a try in the new aquarium I'm planning.

I do have one other question for you. Can the foam be painted? I would like to use a UV resistant paint, especially on the areas exposed to direct lighting (at least those areas not covered by embedded sand, gravel, rock etc. )

Corbin

Paint will work fine, or a thin paste of cement and sand would be even better. Sort of an aragocrete "paint".
This is how they put some artificial coralline on fake rockwork at public aquariums.
I would paint it or cover it somehow.

great color although, IMO a bit overstocked with corals when you have tangs around (first pic)... and the lighting are a bit dark on the left and right side while too white in the middle... other than that I really like the other tank...

Here is some info that I rec'd from Dow Chemical in regards to water usage...

Constant exposure to water or sunlight will cause it to break down over time. If Great Stuff is going to be exposed to water or sunlight, we recommend painting or sealing it to prevent this degradation. Great Stuff is a non-toxic polyurethane foam, exposure to water will cause it to break down and crumble. The primary concern is that if animals were to eat these pieces, it may cause blockage.

I wonder if completely coating the bare spots with crushed coral (like tatu did) would take care of the water degredation?

The majestic, and the regal, and the two tangs, and the two flame angels .......... planning sometihng similar, and want a similar load / similar type of fish (not two angels tho).

The backdrop really blends in well. This is seriously one of the best tanks I've seen due to the fact that it immerses you in the environment.

Update:
overz64.jpg

I changed the old return pump (aqua medic ocean runner 3500 l/h) and the Tunze Turbelle 4000 l/h to a Red Dragon 10.000 l/h return pump.

Here's the RD:
http://www.tanu.nl/tmp/reddragon.jpg[/IMG]

I also changed the previous (diy'ed by a local store) to a Schuran skimmer. To be honest, I'm not very impressed by this skimmer. I've ordered a Bubble King :bum: The lfs doesn't have this one on stock, but I think it'll be there in a few weeks. I've seen some BK's working here in Holland, I'm very impressed with the ammount of waste being removed, the electricity consumption, the low-loise (almost silent!) level and with the looks and construction of that unit.

Something else i did was making a small change to the calcium reactor, so it now dissolves much more calcium! My Ca levels were a little low, this is solved ;)

Back