pics of my new fish/sps reef :)

Thank you :)

I try to do my best to create a healthy environment for the inhabitants which is also attractive for me ;)

Tanu said:
Something else i did was making a small change to the calcium reactor, so it now dissolves much more calcium! My Ca levels were a little low, this is solved ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Great tank Tanu! So what did you change on the reactor?

Well... On top of the reactor is a small outlet with a valve. You can open this valve to let excess gas out. I connecte a piece of airline to this outlet. I connected an injector (from a protien skimmer) to the internal-circulation-pump. Excess carbon dioxide is now sucked up by this injector and keeps recirculating through the reactor.

It is looking absolutely incredible, Tanu. I love seeing updates on your tank.

How does the foam seem to be holding up? Do you notice any deterioration toward the top where it is exposed to the most amount of light?

Those plating acros are going to look incredible was they continue to grow...

Tanu,

There has been a lot of talk on here recently of the Red dragon pumps and the BK skimmer. What are your thoughts on the efficiency and quality of the Red Dragon pumps? Do you think they are the best out there in terms of quality and efficiency.

Once again, thanks for the update. It is looking great! Did you get rid of the Rose Bubble Tipped Anemone?

Peace,
John H.

Tanu,
Again awesome looking tank...how do you keep the sand so clean like that? :)

Keep up the great work...

RJK

Thank you :)

Red Dragon pumps: they sure are expensive, but i calculated that with the energy prices here, it'll be pay back within about 2 years. Construction is very well done and they are absolutely silent. Imagine a 10.000 l/h pump running without hearing it even with your ears in the sump!

BK: i can't give comment on it first hand (I don't have it yet...) but all users I know are very satisfied.

Sand: in the past I used fine coral sand and siphoned it each two weeks. It became a little colored, nothing bad. A few weeks ago I changed this sand to live sand. I also keep some critters to keep the sand clean:
Strombus snails
strombus.jpg

Sand sifting star:
ster.jpg

The sand bed is mainly for easthetics, i change it when it becomes too dirty. I change 15% of water each 2 weeks, siphoning of the sand and rocks (in case there is any algae or whatever) is also done then.

Sorry, forgot about the foam ;)

The foam becomes a little brittle in places where it receives much light. Luckily, the foam is covered in corals on most places. I notice that coralline algae doesn't grow very well on the foam. Corals (sps, lps, softies) all attach to it very well and also do grow on it.

One of the big advantages of this foam is that sticking a small frag or piece of rock with mushrooms is very easy, thus creating the possibility of placing frags almost everywhere.

Tanu,

Once again, thanks for the update. It is definitely one of my favorite tanks and I think you've helped a lot of people start their own experiments with foam backdrops. How long did it take for your backdrop to become completely covered by corraline and other little critters?

10,000l/hr translates to a little over 2600gph. How large is this pump and do you find that there is a large amount of heat being transferred to the water. I see that you have the pump partially out of water... is that to allow the heat to dissipate into the air rather than being transferred into the water? It is quite amazing to have such high flow rates and very low sound levels as you are describing, they sound like quality pumps.

Peace,
John H.

Indeed it is about 2600 gph. The pump isn't much larger than a Aqua Medic Oceanrunner 6500. It doesn't transfer much heat to the water. It is partially outside the water because the water level in the sump isn't that high. I might have to increase the water level because of the BK, but I'll first try it like this.

The backdrop is almost fully covered, the tank has been running for 2 years now.

The anemone is still in the tank, it is behind the big green Acropora now. When you take a very close look, it is visible in the pic.

Hey Tanu,

Glad you kept the RBTA, (I've got mine wedged in a little crevice I created in my foam backdrop and so far seems to be having a good time. That is very good flow for such a little pump. It really seems like the Red dragon pumps are quite amazing.

Let us know how the Bubble king does when you get it in.

Peace,
John H.

Nope... No skimmer yet. The company which imports Royal Exclusiv products has been sold to a different owner a few weeks ago. I think the new owner needs some time to get comfortable with his new business.

But... I've got my hands on something different... I've loved these fish since the first time I saw a picture in a book, now I can admire it from my chair, enjoying a beer!

As I don't have my digital camera here, I took the pics with my cell phone. So, sorry for the bad quality...

gemma04.jpg

gemma03.jpg

gemma07.jpg

So far no problems with the existing fish. Not even a torn fin!

Tanu, your tank is absolutely amazing. How many fish do you currently have and what size tank is it? Keep up the great job and keep us updated.

It is a 160 G tank. I have about 35 fish now, the smallest are only about 1", the largest is the gem tang I added yesterday. He is about 4 or 5 ".

Tanu, your tank effectively has the illusion of a much larger tank. How many species of coral do you estimate are in there now?

d.

Back