Pink Birdnest Difficulty???

klese

Hello SPS reefers and experts,

How difficult is the Pink Birdnest to keep. I'm new to the SPS and have a 29 gallon with 250 MH. Just came back from the LFS which had a good size colony of the birdnest, but the salesman kind of talked me out it saying they were difficulty to maintain. Is this correct? Inputs from experts or anyone is greatly appreciated.

IMHO they are about as hard as your average acro, some speices seem to be easy, others seem to be really sensitive to elevated nutreants. They do seem to be fast growers if happy.

HTH,
Whiskey

I was told that starting from frags in a smaller tank is much easier than getting an established colony to adapt to the smaller tank. Just picked up a SEIO 620 to add to the other two powerheads so there's definitely enough flow. Should I picked this colony up for $60 or wait for frags? The colony is about the size of a baseball and has a couple black spots on some of the tips. Should I go for it or pass on it???

IMO....pass....start with a frag. It's easier for most frags to adapt to your tank than a colony which already has established its requirements and more importantly if it doesn't make it...less money..

i've got a Seriatapora under heavy lighting and medium flow, albeit not a colony, but right now it's flourishing.

When they become larger flow is key through the maze of braches. Hence all of the questions you see about Birdsnest's STN'ing at the base.

There's definitely enough flow going throug the tank. It's also lit by 250 MH DE over the 29 gal. I've heard that colony do better in larger tanks, but frags are so hard to come by. The colony at the LFS was really nice and the price was decent.....:rolleyes:

i'm sure someone in a reef club in CA would sell you a frag, i got a few frags of it but i'm in NY so I can't really help ya.

I've lost 2, but found I did not have enough flow. Since I added another powerhead the current one is doing great. I just put in a little frag and growing very good. Very good red color to it.

Back