The SPS Journey Begins

Thanks. Damn, it doesn’t go to 175. Oh well, I have 4 Coralvue 175s. Currently using one and will only need 2 after the upgrade.
Yea, the 175 I think is even harder than 150 to find. Their 400 (out of stock) goes to 150 but doesn’t go 175.

Ended up ordering 2 vivosun ballasts as they were on sale. As expected my line on the m80’s was just a failure to update the website

Alright guys. New light set is installed, now let’s see how it does. These halides are about 4 inches higher than the old set up. Still debating on the LED placement. Please ignore the hideous wall paper.

Here’s the aluminum and steel pieces I used for hanging the halides as my current system set up wouldn’t work. Glued over nuts just in case (not sure how well it’ll work but I was out of silicone). And the completed set up.

I used an aluminum flat bar and drilled it. And then used steel straps for hanging the halides.

IMG_9572.jpeg

IMG_9574.jpeg

IMG_9573.jpeg

0_IMG_9644.jpeg

Tomorrow I’ll see how the whole system looks and hopefully don’t bleach my corals out. May need to get screen with upgrade from 2x150W cheapo combo system halides to 2x250W Hamilton cayman sun halides.

Nice wallpaper😂

When we moved into our current house about 20 years ago, the previous owner has navy blue, maroon and tan paisley wallpaper. We left if up for years before we got around to removing it.

New halides are up. Definitely need to get used to the 10k feel. Definitely more yellow even with the LED supplements. I may end up changing the LED set up to bring a bar to the front side. That said I can already see a difference from the reflectors. There’s parts of the tank recieving light that really weren’t before. Nice thing is I don’t need to use my filters currently and the pic is pretty true to life.

0_IMG_9650.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong, I like the look (though I’d probably go 20k if I had the funding for those bulbs). The power of the metal halides just took a little bit of the pop. It’ll just take a bit to get used to it.

New halides are up. Definitely need to get used to the 10k feel. Definitely more yellow even with the LED supplements. I may end up changing the LED set up to bring a bar to the front side. That said I can already see a difference from the reflectors. There’s parts of the tank recieving light that really weren’t before. Nice thing is I don’t need to use my filters currently and the pic is pretty true to life.

View attachment 32391091

Looks good!! Don't you love how halides make it look natural? Good looking tank man. It looks like a true reef.

Looks good!! Don't you love how halides make it look natural? Good looking tank man. It looks like a true reef.
I do love the natural look. Back when I started in 03 halides were prohibitively expensive for my 13 year old budget. They are the one lighting system I’ve always wanted and can finally afford (of course at a time when everyone is discontinuing stuff). I have enough bulbs to last me with this current tank about 10 years.

I do have one complaint…the wife has said the lights are too bright as they are so I need to build a canopy surround to limit light spill

I do love the natural look. Back when I started in 03 halides were prohibitively expensive for my 13 year old budget. They are the one lighting system I’ve always wanted and can finally afford (of course at a time when everyone is discontinuing stuff). I have enough bulbs to last me with this current tank about 10 years.

I do have one complaint…the wife has said the lights are too bright as they are so I need to build a canopy surround to limit light spill

Yep, I know that feeling! Halides are the reason my tank is isolated in the back room away from everything. I ruined it for my wife when I first started with halides. I had a 6' 150 in our kitchen with halides and no canopy. She had to wear shades when cooking dinner, etc. :ROFLMAO: She said never again!! She has PTSD if I ever bring up putting one in the living room.

And the canopy is done. It’s completely open on top, essentially just a skin. Used 1/2 inch blond veneer plywood, a long hinge on the front and magnets. The front does not sit flush due to the hinge being wider than the wood (didn’t think that one through all the way…oops) but it’s good enough for me

Back