Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

Red bugs?

Red bugs?

Anyone know what these are?

Attachments

• CM151204-23061603-1.jpg
    CM151204-23061603-1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
62257ae1ed7844f27b291d64ac6546ef.jpg

Got a couple of those. It is white,looks hard and have no idea.

And i think i have a slug. Couldn't get a picture of it. But it looks like this.

It has hair/grass on its back. I thought it was algae growing but the next day it was gone. Apperently it moved. It looks like he or she has a grassy back (spiked) color brown/purple/green so it is hard to detect.

The wonders of mother nature leaves you baffled [emoji848]

I'm not really sure about the item you have circled, but the slug you mentioned could be a Zoanthid-Eating Nudibranch. Does it look anything like the ones in the link below? If so, you'll want to remove it ASAP and keep your eyes peeled for more. GL.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/nudibranchzoa.shtml

Tnx. I buy myself a magnifying glass, silly critter is at the back of my tank and in the middle of the rock. Can't say he is big [emoji6] i'll keep my eye on it. The tank has been running for a week now, so there is nothing in it. Except tiny critters.

Oke this is weird. I filmed this through the lens/screen of a digital camera with nightshot with my phone. It is hidden in a rock and as soon there is light it dissapears quickly i think it is a crab of some sort. It looks purple little bugger is too fast and it seems to have two fury (feather like arms)

https://vimeo.com/148428691

Sorry if the quality but it is the best i could do

20151208_233059.jpg

wth is this its not a bristleworm doesn't seem to have "bristles" on it.. and it is on my flowerpot coral every night making it close up aaaaaaaah bad?

Oke this is weird. I filmed this through the lens/screen of a digital camera with nightshot with my phone. It is hidden in a rock and as soon there is light it dissapears quickly i think it is a crab of some sort. It looks purple little bugger is too fast and it seems to have two fury (feather like arms)

https://vimeo.com/148428691

Sorry if the quality but it is the best i could do

That is a porcelain crab. Those "fury arms" are fans that it uses to filter food from the water. But they also eat "meaty" foods if given the chance. Great little crabs to have.

I have a quick question... I don't know if it's a pest or not but it came on some live rock I bought off of a guy. Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 20151210_171205.jpg
    20151210_171205.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
Any idea what these are?

Any idea what these are?

I started to notice them on my live rock and the side glass. Sorry if the picture isn't that great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
Hey all. I've currently got a tank I set up to get some live rock going for when I get my large tank all ready to go in the next couple of weeks. Found these things on the live rock from the LFS I seeded the rest of my rock with.

I think this first one is some type of fan worm, but not positive because it only has one "arm"

d62SKqL.jpg

Second looks like spider webs or cotton candy. Second pic below is of the same stuff that seems to have sprouted feelers/arms/whatever they are called. It's all localized to one rock, so if it's bad stuff I can remove that whole piece. I thought it may be some type of sponge, but then again I also though it may possibly be bacteria outbreak. Can be knocked off easily.

Sorry for cell phone pics, it's the best resolution camera I have other than a gopro.

9tdBd5u.jpg

yL0nBSl.jpg

Mmm, let's add that if you have softies, they can be a problem...or at least that there is a species of asterina that is predatory. It would be hard for one of these to transit through a pump to the DT, but it could happen

Mmm, let's add that if you have softies, they can be a problem...or at least that there is a species of asterina that is predatory. It would be hard for one of these to transit through a pump to the DT, but it could

Back