Planning stages of a Lionfish addition

AmberFL03

to my 55 gallon FOWLR. Obviously I'll be going dwarf species route due to tank restraints. I have 2 juvenile Moray eels and I'm debating between the Fuzzy Dwarf Lion and the Fu Manchu Lion for my final fish addition to this tank. Which would be the best choice between them for best chances at peaceful cohabitation all you Lionfish experts out there??

the fuzzy will be easier to get to feed, hardier, and more active. Fu man chu's are very nice but I do not think one would go well with the eels as they grow.

The Fu Manchu are gorgeous, but if it's a questionable cohabitation with eels than I def don't want to risk it. i've heard good things about the Fuzzy's. Thanks boss.

Fuzzies are probably the most personable fish in the hobby. Their are also alot of color morphs in the hobby, mine is more of a yellow. I absolutely love mine.

NVM, I just looked again and noticed that missing bit of fin...I'm guessing the SFE was to blame. Poor guy.

NVM, I just looked again and noticed that missing bit of fin...I'm guessing the SFE was to blame. Poor guy.

Yeah it happened during a feeding, lion took the eels food, eel mistakened lion's fin for food, goodbye SFE. They are such cool eels though, but do become very aggressive during feeding, has gone after my foxface acouple of times. Its his fin mark on his right fin, the indent on his left fin came from an incident that happened in Qt. when i was on vacation. Got a picture from when it first happened. Basically, the fin ray broke and the broken part fell away and left and indent.
aqutagum.jpg

yzypu2az.jpg

Morays have terrible eyesight, and often strike where they smell food, or where food is normally offered, not to mention that IME, SFE's get rather nasty over time.

Amber,

The thing with the fu manchu is that they're a bottom-hugger, and will be right in the same area of your tank...the bottom. They may also end up trying to hide in one of your eels' lairs, which may be an issue. As mentioned, they can be a bit tuffer to wean at first, but once established, are as hardy as any of the other lionfishes, IME.

A fuzzy will tend to hang out more in the mid to upper part of the tank, so it will likely come into less contact with your eels.

Which species of eels are you keeping?

Back