Poker Room 70G Build - New to Reefing

Im curious about the power supply for the fans. Do you have all 4 fans wired to one power supply? If so, can you show pics of how this is done without splicing/cutting wires? Thanks. I saw your post in another thread about wiring up fans. Your post said you had them wired up with no splicing/cutting.

Reefermad -if you look at the picture with the fan and the A-K (poker cards) the nomex connector is in the upper left corner. The nomex connector has a male and female side to it so you can plug multiple fans together. If you buy the adapter at this link http://www.coolerguys.com/840556029977.html you can plug the end right into the nomex connector on the fan. Look at the middle picture on the website, it shows the connector for the adapter that fits the fans. Just plug the fans together and plug the adapter in and that's it!

So the tank has been cycling for 16 days now. Algae is really starting to take hold. Water parameters: Temp: 78*, SG 1.023, NH3/NH4 0-.1, NO3 12.5mg/1, pH 7.7, NO2 <.3mg/1
Are we ready to call in the clean-up crew yet?
100_1828.jpg

100_1831.jpg

Is that aiptaisia on top left of the rock in the picture below?
100_1830.jpg

hmmm idk by that pic. kinda hard to tell. i witnessed an aip in my tank today and at that instant i got sick to my stomach hoping hes a lone soldier. hes all dead and gone now though ; ) get us a close up zeroed on on that "aip". as for cleanup, right now youre hurting bad in the algae world. im no professional but ide say youre ready. correct me if im wrong people, but i was told after 2 weeks a few snails and hermits should be added. i did so and my tank was clean enough to drink out of(not really).

Hey I've been following along for awhile... great build! I'd say that is for sure aptasia. I wouldn't get too freaked out about it, now is the perfect time to start knocking them out. I've used joe's juice and kalk paste in the past and they both worked well, may take a few applications though. Peppermint shrimp have been hit and miss for me but I like having them in the tank even if they don't go after the aptasia. Good luck.

Saltwat3rAddict, first two pics are for you. I'm afraid this is aptasia, but what else is in this first picture?
100_1850.jpg

100_1851.jpg

Algae is getting out of control, so I went and picked up a small janitor crew. I added 6 small blue legged hermits like this one.
100_1860.jpg

And 5 trochus snails. I was told they were red banded trochus, but some look silver not red!
100_1836.jpg

These guys have a huge job in front of them. I hope they're hungry!

it is indeed aptasia, as well as what looks to be either some type of sponge or possibly even some hitchhiker-type zoa's.

I've purchased LR a few times and ended up with random zoa's that pop up after a few weeks.

those look like bleached, stressed red zoas around that aptasia. if you get rid of that aptasia and keep the water params in check, then they should come back pretty quickly.

I'd get a pair or trio of peppermint shrimp, when I had some apps in my old 29g, a pepp did the job in a day or two.

Anyone come up with anything? I'm trying to identify what's in the picture I posted at 10:00PM 2/24/10.

Coyote,
Definately aptasia, I've had real good luck with making a small 12oz batch of super saturated Kalkwasser (25% Kalc, 75% water) and using a small syringe to apply the kalk mix to the aiptasia. At first I was trying to "stab" them with a needle, but I found that even if you load up their open dished face with the mix, they will retract on it and shrivel up in 20 minutes. The next day or two they are no where to be found. I usually turn the pumps off, and let the solution sit on the aip for 20 minutes or so, then I usually clean my tank turn on the circulation pumps for a couple of hours and then do my monthly water change.

Your clean up crew doing the trick? Be careful to not get to discouraged while you are still cycleing with amonia an nitrites. Once both those are 0, your clean up crew will be able to keep up much better. :lol2:

Any new pics of the tank? Is the algae getting under control?

-Eric

No new pics yet. Yes, the algae is coming under control. I added 5 nassarius snails and 3 more trochus last night. The trochus seem to enjoy travelling back and forth from the display tank to the overflow. My son is enjoying waking up every morning to locate and count them all, so I've allowed the nightly travels to continue.

Hrmm, did I miss it? I thought you started with deadrock so how is anything alive?

The nas snails are fun, do you feed a little bit of meaty food to get them to come up from the sand, or does he try to find their "noses?"

Fun build so far, wish I had a build instead of just a tank :/

Nas snails decided blue leg hermit crab was on the menu for Easter. I think the crab wanted the Nas snail's shell but lost the battle when two snails ganged up on him! Happy Easter everyone!

Back