Potential HUGE problem with Marineland 300gal. DD

Well I got up this morning and put my bandaid on the tank. lol I'm tired of worrying about it and I think my fix will help.

I cut the metal piece to length and then used the mallet to tap it into the gap between the glass and brace. It was a tight fit and should offer some additional strength. I also applied a thick silicone seal to the outside corner of the tank. Hopefully the combination of the two will prevent disaster. At least now I should be able to see if there is any more movement as the brace or silicone will move.

I guess the important thing here is that I will be able to sleep at night and concentrate at work. lol

hope it works out for ya. i would have called marineland first thing, the worst they can say is no. i understand you were the second owner, but it's always worth a shot. obviously too late now, lol. hopefully you can get it all figured out.

hope it works out for ya. i would have called marineland first thing, the worst they can say is no. i understand you were the second owner, but it's always worth a shot. obviously too late now, lol. hopefully you can get it all figured out.

Why is it obviously too late now? He can still contact Marineland, and the they can still say no. Its possible that they might not either. The only way to know for sure it to contact them.

Erik

Why is it obviously too late now? He can still contact Marineland, and the they can still say no. Its possible that they might not either. The only way to know for sure it to contact them.

Erik

it's always worth a shot. I was just saying that because once you attempt to modify anything, it's almost immediately a definite denial of service.

Is the tank level?

I had similar lines in my 300DD. I sent multiple pics to Marineland and was told that it was due to silicone stretch and was normal but more noticeable in black silicone. I marked the lines with a black marker at the ends and monitored to make sure they weren't growing.

Keep in mind that the tank doesn't carry a warranty on a non-Marineland stand. The biggest issue with a DD tank is the stand being off level corner to diagonal corner which causes a "twisting" of the tank and can jeopardize seams. I built my own stand an sweated when the lines appeared. However, the tank went 2 yrs with lines and no issues.

FWIW, I don't want to mislead you but I would say that if the lines are stable and not growing, you should be ok. Also, be wary of any horizontal lines that could breach the seal. "If" the tank is going to fail, I doubt it will be large scale. My guess is it'll pop a leak long before the panel fails. Just my 2 cents....

Is the tank level?

I had similar lines in my 300DD. I sent multiple pics to Marineland and was told that it was due to silicone stretch and was normal but more noticeable in black silicone. I marked the lines with a black marker at the ends and monitored to make sure they weren't growing.

Keep in mind that the tank doesn't carry a warranty on a non-Marineland stand. The biggest issue with a DD tank is the stand being off level corner to diagonal corner which causes a "twisting" of the tank and can jeopardize seams. I built my own stand an sweated when the lines appeared. However, the tank went 2 yrs with lines and no issues.

FWIW, I don't want to mislead you but I would say that if the lines are stable and not growing, you should be ok. Also, be wary of any horizontal lines that could breach the seal. "If" the tank is going to fail, I doubt it will be large scale. My guess is it'll pop a leak long before the panel fails. Just my 2 cents....

Thanks for the reply - makes me feel better.

Yep I made sure to make everything level as I've heard the consequences of twisting the seals.

The line hasn't moved any since I noticed it and I reinforced the glass with the metal strip under the brace. Hoping to have as much luck as you.

Again, thanks for the informative reply and hope to see you at the swap tomorrow.

Back