Prazi Pro and Flukes

Reefsi

So I started Prazipro yesterday on my Achilles tang. I FW dipped him on friday for 5 mins. He is healthy and eats like a pig but I suspect flukes because of the occasional flashing. Anyways will flukes be easy to see on the second day of Prazi pro? I noticed a raised bump on his top fin and another thing on one of his other fins. Definitely not ich so I'm just wondering if by chance as the flukes are dieing they become more visible on the fish. I would post a picture but grabbing a "clear" picture of an Achilles tang is not easy...

When you dipped him did anything come off in the water? Sometimes after dosing Prazi you can see a fluke "peel"" off the fish.

I checked the bucket it was really tough to tell. But I think that is kinda what I am seeing. Not 100% sure but if it is "peeling" off of him I'd imagine it would be gone in a day or 2 so Ill just keep an eye on him. Do flukes attack to fins at all?

Thanks for the response, I got another question. I have never seen my AT do this until today, he would "open" his gills it looked like. Almost as if there may have been flukes in there and he is trying to get the dead ones out. Is this possible? or am I over thinking?

Seems like you are overthinking this a bit... Did you see anything come off the fish during the dip? I use a big black plastic bowl, with a smooth colander sitting in it for the fish. After 10 minutes, I remove the fish via the colander, and inspect the dip water with a flashlight for anything that might have fallen off. Flukes are an opaque/clear/white color, so they are hard to see against a white bucket, hence a dark bowl and a light. I'd continue with two prazi treatments since you've already started and suspect flukes, then move on to an ich treatment, which seems like a more likely culprit.

I just feel like if it were ich, I would see signs. I have seen nothing relating to ich at all. No white spots, no constant itching. I have noticed mad dashes across the aquarium before prazi treatment, noticed possibly heavy breathing(both determined after prazi treatment by seeing a more relaxed fish). I just feel if the culprit was Ich after 12 days it would show some other noticable sign, but maybe Im wrong. The ich I have dealt with in the past always has shown spots.
Neither here nor there after these 2 treatments Ill be sure to have a healthy fish. Since the prazi treatment he has seemed more relaxed and colorful(mood changing). At least I know I am on the right path.

Thanks Rea for all your help, It is much appreciated!

Hey is it normal while going through a prazi pro treatment my AT will act hungry, chase food and eat it and spit it out?

I wouldn't say normal but it does happen. Could be a fluke inside the mouth or in the esophagus. Try feeding something small but keep feeding him. He'll start eating again.

Typical when they don't have much of an appetite. Also normal when learning to accept new foods..

Ya I think he is just being finicky with the treatment. He is tearing up purple and green seaweed, but wont touch any meaty foods for some reason. Before the treatment he would go nuts to feed on brine and spirulana. Tomorrow will be day 5 of the treatment, I will be doing a 75% water change wait 1 day see if he eats and roll right into the second round of prazi. I have noticed a white puffy thing on the end of one of his swimming fins and has been there since Saturday, I suspect Lymphocystis. It does not resemble anything of ich, he has not scratched, flashed or anything related to Ich. There has not been the slightest mark or lesion resembling ich on his entire body this is what is leading me to believe its lympho. With proper water changes and reduced stress it should just go away on his own from my understanding. I will continue to monitor it.

So I just got home today and tried to feed my tang. He still wont eat anything but I have noted this. He will go for food and then almost looks like he is "Chattering". He will not eat but seems do "Chatter" often. I cant find any other way to describe it he will open is gills and "chatter" them for like 2 seconds. Anyone see anything like this before?

He also seems very tired and goes to a low flow area and just like stalls like he wants to sleep.

Ill try and take a picture, but this fish seems perfectly healthy. He is still fat and very colorful. Only has 1 small spot that looks like lympho on his pectoral fin.

So this is were the AT swims to hid and he comfort zone. Are all those sand looking things flukes? This tank had 0 and I mean 0 sand or anything on the sides or bottom of the tank when I started the treatment. If so that is nuts.

Heres the fish

All spots in the pictures are on the glass of the tank not the fish.

Rea, I don't understand this at all. My fish is demonstrating some weird things. He is swimming very very docilely. I have got him to eat mysis soaked in selcon, but he will eat and flutter his gills and spit it out. Almost as if something is preventing him from eating. Sometimes he its it, other times I see him eat it and shutter his gils for like 2 sec then like shoot it out his mouth. Can this be Brook? I'm so lost and terrified with this poor guy, I have created a no stress environment and have not moved him since day 1. Water quality has been good and I am not putting my hand in the tank except for nori in the mornings and water changes which hasn't happened since prazi.

btw he has no excess mucous, no scuffed up fins, no velvet appearance, sometimes I wish I didn't stress over this stuff...
Its just strange, has anyone ever witnessed this action in there fish before? I doubt its brook I just no the more information and other opinions I gather from you guys that no best it helps me.

Maybe its just me overthinking....

Last edited:
You are overreacting.. I've seen fish do this on food when it's not soft enough and they are "chewing" so to speak. He doesn't have brook, don't worry!

Back