Protection For Anemone

Yukon

Does anyone have a better way to cover up a pump from a Bak-Pak skimmer? My anemone decided to move after a year, and wormed its way behind the basket cover I have. The anemone pushed the basket away from the glass and got into the intake, but just a few tentacles have minor damage, so hopefully it'll be okay.
I need to find something heavier and less flexible. Thanks.

skim.jpg

Yes. I believe someone came up with a good idea using black plastic mesh, with very small holes, constructed into sort of a cage around the powerhead intake. Seemed to have worked well for them (I just don't remember who it was).

they make an overflow box or pre-skimmer box that skims the top of the water and also covers the whole pump , they would have to climb out of the water to get in there then..maybe that would work??

That might be an idea. I could probably find some at a hobby type store. Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6521182#post6521182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Yes. I believe someone came up with a good idea using black plastic mesh, with very small holes, constructed into sort of a cage around the powerhead intake. Seemed to have worked well for them (I just don't remember who it was).

I've seen the box you are talking about. I wouldn't mind getting one if it was silent. I don't want it to gurgle or anything, because the tank is near the TV. If anyone has one of these pre-filters, please let me know if they are noisy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6521652#post6521652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SVXH6
they make an overflow box or pre-skimmer box that skims the top of the water and also covers the whole pump , they would have to climb out of the water to get in there then..maybe that would work??

Yea, the only time you will hear it is if the water level becomes too low. The pump will start to suck in air, but that would mean you aren't topping off enough. I noticed zero increase in noise when I installed mine.

HTH

Back