Tentacle condition of Heteractis Magnifica

These pictures are very cool, thank you for sharing them!
I am so glad you like the photos...thank you!!

I would love to see a picture of your new anemone.
This is an anemone collected from the gravel bottom. The current size is about 2 inches. He feels very durable. And he reacts quickly to food and eats well. To me, this looks like Anthopleura artemisia (burrowing anemone/moonglow anemone) or something close to it...but what do you think?
BF640B11-EBD6-47A7-8D38-B5C48FF0AC6F_1_201_a.jpeg

I would assume the anemone would either continue to live on the shell or would move on to another crab’s shell.
I see.. I guess so...
I've also heard that hermit crabs compete for anemones. I guess if he live on an empty shell for a while, soon other hermit crabs will move in or transplant the anemone to their own shell. If there is only one hermit crab in the tank and it dies, the anemone will continue to live quietly on its own...as you say.

Maybe one day I will have a hermit crab with a anemone on its back. So I guess that's what crossed my mind.... Thank you very much!!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about anemone yet...
I have a question about zooxanthellae...Is it better for anemones to have as much zooxanthellae as possible?

Anemones spit out zooxanthellae when the light is too strong, right? Does this mean that they self-regulate the amount of zooxanthellae they need depending on the amount of light?

If so, is it not necessarily a bad phenomenon for anemones to vomit zooxanthellae, but is it part of their basic behavior?

Or is zooxanthellae vomiting always a bad phenomenon?

An anemone should be able to regulate the zooxanthellae by contracting/expanding it's tentacles. However, if they become excessive they can spit them out also.

As long as it is not causing the color inside to become clear or white, it is OK, but always pay close attention as it can be a sign of excessive light, nutrients, or temperature causing them to reproduce too rapidly or, alternatively, die off and be removed.

I don't know anything about anemone yet...
I have a question about zooxanthellae...Is it better for anemones to have as much zooxanthellae as possible?

Anemones spit out zooxanthellae when the light is too strong, right? Does this mean that they self-regulate the amount of zooxanthellae they need depending on the amount of light?

If so, is it not necessarily a bad phenomenon for anemones to vomit zooxanthellae, but is it part of their basic behavior?

Or is zooxanthellae vomiting always a bad phenomenon?

Anemones do regulate the amount of zooxanthellae by shedding some of it.

The amount needed depends on some of factors. Light available and food available. The more light it has the less zooxanthellae it needs because they will produce more food. Now if there is too much light or increased to fast it can reject all the zooxanthellae which can be bad..

Nutrients can also affect zooxanthellae.

The more food available the less the anemone needs zooxanthellae.
Zooxanthellae mainly produce sugar. That is why I feed all my anemones I do not think sugar being its only food is a good idea. They have ways of catching food and eating it. I think it leads to a stronger and disease resistant anemone.

Basically they are farmers.

Mr.bradleym & shred5,
thank you for detailed explanation.

Yes, my Magnifica has vomited zooxanthellae several times, but it has never turned clear or white. It looks like a healthy color to my eyes. But that's just my feeling.

I've never kept coral, I have very little experience in raising anemones. I get very anxious every time I vomit zooxanthellae. Although I understand that Magnifica prefers strong light and strong water currents, I still don't know to what extent.

for example..
Shine a strong light on half of the tank. Then my Magnifica turns towards the light like a sunflower. It also extends its tentacles toward the light. Looking at the situation, it seems to me that they are looking for the amount of light in that direction. So I will continue to shine that light on them.

But...A few hours later, Mag, who seemed fine, suddenly started vomiting zooxanthellae. It may also suddenly start shrinking, as if resetting itself.As you say, the zooxanthellae may have become excessive (unnecessary?) due to continued exposure to strong light for a long time. (Also, since I am feeding them a very small amount of food every other day, the zooxanthellae may be less necessary.)

When I see tentacles reaching towards the light, it seems to me that this is the amount of light they desire. Or maybe the light is too strong...I need to gain more experience... at this point, so I can only make very intuitive judgments such as ``it looks lively,'' and it is extremely difficult to judge what is appropriate.

I will continue to monitor the situation carefully and take into consideration your advice.
I will do my best. thank you very much!!

Last edited:
but always pay close attention as it can be a sign of excessive light, nutrients, or temperature causing them to reproduce too rapidly
Please let me check!!
By "excess nutrients" do you mean nitrates (and other nutrient salt) in the water?
I rely on translation software, so my understanding is slow... sorry!

Just a side note.
The S. tapetum that I collected the other day wandered around the tank looking for a place to stay. He found a big hole and crawled into it, disappearing again and again. So I gave him a rock with two small holes in it. He stuck his pedal into one of the holes, and he hasn't moved from that rock ever since.

But today,
when I looked at the rock, I suddenly saw him in two. I was very surprised! "Did he suddenly split? That can't be true!!"

After a while, I realized. The hole he put the pedal into is probably connected to another hole in the rock. And I guess he's exposing his body through both holes.

This is that photo!
please laugh at my misunderstanding....
0B2E33C9-ABA6-4C0D-B1AE-BB3675C10BDE_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Late at night on March 8th...
I went to an area of Shibasaki coast that was a little different from last time. On this day as well, I collected one S.tapetum!

Last time it was yellow-green and dark brown, but this time it was light brown and pink. There were also a lot of Anthopleura fuscoviridis (Rainbow bottom anemones?) in this area, So I was able to collect a few. Small but so beautiful!

Even more fortunately, I was able to inherit an A.quadricolor (bubble tip anemone?) collected from the sea by a fisherman in Wakayama Prefecture, Japan. The color is bright yellow-green. Currently in the tank with Magnifica.

Also, a friend of mine is currently visiting the coast of Okinawa and sent me a photo of wild S.gigantea in shallow water at low tide.

I will share these photos soon!!

Last edited:
Back