Tentacle condition of Heteractis Magnifica

Ameya

Nice to meet you. Please forgive my poor English.
I have a question about Heteractis Magnifica.
I have tentacles drifting in the water current, but when the water current is completely stopped and the water is still, are their tentacles freestanding and open like a flower? Or, when the water flow stops, do the tentacles lie on their sides or hang down?

Also, the color of the tentacles changes, from light skin tone to darker and drooping, does this indicate a poor condition? Or does it happen from time to time?

Hello, and welcome to Reef Central! It is normal for the tips to be light, and fade to dark at the base. As for tentacle position when flow is off, please see this photo, this is an ideal position for the whole animal.

Compress_20240106_091929_9221.jpg

I very much appreciate your prompt reply!!!

I have two different species of anemones. One was described to me as native to Okinawa and the other as native to Indonesia. I was told that both are Heteractis magnifica, but they look like different species to me.

The one from Okinawa looks exactly like your photo. The tentacles are short and in still water it retains exactly the same shape as in your photo. This specimen also looks in very good condition to me.

The other specimen has a purple body and curls up like a ball in the dark. The tentacles are about 2 inches long. When the tentacles of this specimen are stationary in the water, about half of the tentacles remain lying on their sides. That bothered me.

Does the fact that the tentacles are all freestanding when stationary indicate that this individual is healthy?

I did not adequately describe the color of the tentacles. My apologies.
Some tentacles suddenly become darker in color, shrivel up, or droop. The color of such tentacles appears grayish dark brown. Is such a sudden change in color of the tentacles a sign that the condition is worsening? Or is this a common, everyday phenomenon and we should not worry too much and wait for the color to return?

Sorry for the newbie question. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

I think it would be helpful to share photos of both anemones, I can help verify the identification. It will also help to answer the questions about the tentacles and overall health.

It is normal for individual tentacles to occasionally shrink for a few minutes or even hours. As long as they spend the majority of the time inflated, it is probably nothing to be concerned about.

Thank you for the advice!
I repeat, I'm not good at English. sorry.

I once read an interesting story in Japanese academic literature.
Radianthus ritteri, which lives in Okinawa, is currently considered to be the same species as Heteractis magnifica, and both have the same Japanese name, ``Senju'' but there is also a theory that they are different species, and the old scientific name Radianthus ritteri was used in those documents. .

I was told the same name is ``Senju'' at a shop in Japan, but I feel like it's a different type. Both are cute though.

When I search for images of Magnifica on the Internet, I see bright purple, blue, pink, and yellow bodies transformed into perfect spheres. This specimen from Indonesia looks exactly like that.

On the other hand, the ones from Okinawa have similar skin colors on the body and tentacles, and the tips of their short tentacles have white tips. So far, he has never been spherical.

I just became a member today and am still new to this forum. However, I'll soon learn how to upload photos here.

Please look at the photo and tell me the type!
Thank you very much.

I think I understand better now. Let me answer what I can.

Radianthus Riterri and Heteractis Magnifica are the same, although different regions will have different variations. For example, red and blue bodies almost exclusively come from the waters near South Africa. You are correct that Radianthus Riterri is an older scientific name.

The spherical shape occurs when the anemone lifts its outer edge up above the mouth, forming a hollow sphere and concealing most of the tentacles inside. It very common for this species, and is easily photographed, but they usually do not spend very much time like that, they spend almost all their time like the one in my picture. If you have one that does it often, you are very lucky!

For the description of the specimens from Okinawa, anemone tentacles will shorten and turn white if they are in unsatisfactory conditions for a long time, it is called "bleaching". A bleached anemone can recover in the right conditions, the tentacles will grow long and change color over a period of months.

I am very much looking forward to your pictures. This species is one of my favorite!

Sorry for being late.
Thank you for your interest in my anemone.

IMG_8916 2.jpg

This is an anemone from Okinawa.
The water flow is completely stopped.
The tips of the tentacles are yellowish-white tips.
The body color is the same as the tentacles, skin color, Opened size is approximately 7 inches....

Last edited:
The one on the left is from Indonesia.
Is the open size about 12 inches?
When the lights go out he becomes a ball.
I think he is definitely Heteractis magnifica.
73271D06-311C-47A8-99A0-73CF95C3D232_1_201_a.jpeg

539B1DED-9575-42E9-9900-EF5985205FF1_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for being late.
Thank you for your interest in my anemone.

View attachment 32395075
This is an anemone from Okinawa.
The water flow is completely stopped.
The tips of the tentacles are yellowish-white tips.
The body color is the same as the tentacles, skin color.
The open size is approximately 20 cm (6 inches?)
They are both the same species, but only one is in completely full health. This anemone from Okinawa is in good health overall, but it has not always been so. These tentacles will grow longer, and when they are longer, the white-yellow tips will fade to dark after an inch or two. It is likely it will start to ball up like the one from Indonesia after it recovers to full health.

Thank you for looking at the photos.
Both photos were taken when the water stopped flowing.
In Okinawa on the right, the tentacles are awake, but in Indonesia on the left, the tentacles are often asleep. I've had her for a month now and her mouth has never completely closed. I am worried about her condition. If the conditions are right, will these long tentacles always stand upright even if the flow is stopped?
F21E8016-07F7-46A6-AFF7-2C4351B9770E_1_105_c.jpeg
21847657-C5C7-4CD7-BBF5-12C64526099C_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
They are both the same species, but only one is in completely full health. This anemone from Okinawa is in good health overall, but it has not always been so. These tentacles will grow longer, and when they are longer, the white-yellow tips will fade to dark after an inch or two. It is likely it will start to ball up like the one from Indonesia after it recovers to full health.
Dear Mr. Bradley, I am so sorry. I sent the last photo before reading your reply. I was only worried about Indonesia. I realized that was a mistake. I would like to maintain good conditions so that Okinawa's sea anemones can extend their tentacles.
thanks so much!!!!!

You are very welcome! And in my opinion, the tentacles of the Indonesian anemone are standing up also, only I guess they are slightly weighed down by their size. It nothing to be worried about in this case. Congratulations on having such healthy, beautiful anemones!!!

They are both the same species
Wow, are they the same species!
I thought it was a different species because of the difference in tentacle length and the fact that the okinawa is not shaped into a ball. While there may be some differences between regional subspecies, I have found that there are even greater differences based on health status.

By the way, in the natural world Heteractis Magnifica often forms balls even in bright water, but in my aquarium they only form balls when it gets dark. Why does this difference occur?

Wow, are they the same species!
I thought it was a different species because of the difference in tentacle length and the fact that the okinawa is not shaped into a ball. While there may be some differences between regional subspecies, I have found that there are even greater differences based on health status.

By the way, in the natural world Heteractis Magnifica often forms balls even in bright water, but in my aquarium they only form balls when it gets dark. Why does this difference occur?
You're right, anemones are amazing creatures! They have no markers for age, and so they will absorb tentacle length and body mass when nutrition is hard to find. This is likely what happened to yours. They will also expel internal algae in stressful conditions, causing the body to keep color, but all the tentacles to turn white. The same specimen can become completely unrecognizable based on health.

For the balling action, it is considered a defensive reaction, usually caused by predators or turbulent waters. I don't have any explanation for why the captive ones will do this when it is dark, other than simply to protect the tentacles in the dark, then expand them in the light for photosynthesis. But I have had several that do the same, so I would not worry about that on it's own.

Please allow me to ask one more question.
Please reply when you have time.

It's about water temperature.
When keeping corals and sea anemones in an aquarium, the recommended water temperature in Japan is usually 77℉.
However, the store where I bought the sea anemones insists on a different opinion. I was told that the sea in Indonesia is warm so it is best to keep the water temperature between 82~86℉. I can't do that water temperature because I'm scared. The current water temperature is between 78~80℉.
What do you think is the ideal water temperature for Heteractis Magnifica ?

Last edited:
In my opinion, 78-80F is perfect, I will not go above 80F. I have never seen this save an anemone, and it is too close to dangerous temperatures for my sanity.

I agree with Bradley on the water temperatures. I keep my tank between 78-80 F. I have kept reef tanks with temperatures as high as 82F, but the higher temperatures can lead to nuisance algae issues, IME.

Here is a before & after comparison of a Heteractis Magnifica that recovered like I am describing. You will notice the before is shaped like your Okinawa specimen, the after is shaped like your Indonesia specimen, but these are the same anemone over time.

Old.png

New.png

Here is a before & after comparison of a Heteractis Magnifica that recovered like I am describing. You will notice the before is shaped like your Okinawa specimen, the after is shaped like your Indonesia specimen, but these are the same anemone over time.

Oh, thanks for the photo.
I see, exactly! What a flexible and wonderful way to survive!
I recognized it very well. And I was able to have the motivation to care!!!

Back