Tentacle condition of Heteractis Magnifica

Mags can tolerate allot of light. They do come from shallower water. Any coral or anemone can bleach if there is too much light. If you have to much light allot of corals and anemones will close up or shrink. Shrinking makes less surface area which = less light taken in. Mags also will move if not happy to the area with the amount of light they like.. If the light is to low some corals and anemones will expand creating more surface area to absorb more light.
Their reactions to light were very helpful.
And I am currently reading in order the many descriptions you have introduced. Thank you very much.
First, for starters, I understood the following scores.

Amoo's Severity Scoring System:
0 - Healthy Nem.
1 - Tentacles shortened, still fully inflated, mouth tight, responsive to touch.
2 - Tentacles shortened, still fully inflated, mouth slightly droopy, responsive to touch.
3 - Tentacles shortened, still fully inflated, mouth slightly open, responsive to touch.
4 - Tentacles shortened, still fully inflated, mouth open, responsive to touch.
5 - Tentacles shortened, still fully inflated, mouth gaping open with insides exposed, responsive to touch.
6 - Tentacles shortened, partially inflates, mouth gaping open with insides exposed, responsive to touch.
7 - Tentacles shortened, inflates and deflates multiple times daily, mouth gaping open with insides exposed, responsive to touch.
8 - Tentacles shortened, most always deflated, mouth gaping open with insides exposed, responsive to touch.
9 - Tentacles shortened, always deflated, mouth gaping open with insides exposed, barely responsive to touch.
10 - Tentacles shortened, always deflated, mouth gaping open with insides exposed, non-responsive to touch.
11 - Mush (Sorry )

ーーーーーーーーーー
Thanks to you, I was able to roughly understand the condition of my anemone.
Maybe Okinawa Mag is going from 1 to 0.
Tentacles began to grow little by little. I hope to be able to post an improved photo of him soon.

Another Indonesian mug has long enough tentacles, but the mouth looks like 3 to 2...sometimes 1. Also, although the tentacles are not white, However, I think the surface of the oral disc once turned white. Now, about half of the disk's surface has returned to its standard color, giving it a mottled, map-like appearance.

Both grip the rock firmly with the pedals and do not move from the top of the rock. They do respond to food, but their swallowing speed is a little slow. I will continue to closely monitor their situation.. thank you.

Last edited:
For the first time, the Indonesian mug became very very small....
It was so different from when he was curled up at night. The tentacles were all very thin, curly, and droopy. I was surprised because it was the first time I had seen such a small figure.I even thought that the anemone had suddenly died. But then he returned to full size. After reading the "Anemone FAQ" I found out that this method is specific to Anemone.

It was written as follows.....
"Additionally, anemones will go through cycles of expansion and contraction, where they will puff up very large, and then shrink down to almost nothing. This is their way of balancing internal water chemistry and flushing wastes out of their system. Some anemones will expand and contract as often as once a day, but anything more than this is a sign that something is annoying the anemone. For the most part, the anemone should remain fully inflated almost all of the time, and definitely during the daylight hours when the light is brightest. If an anemone spends too much time contracted, there is something bothering it."

My anemone took about 4-5 hours to fully recover from its smallest size to its original size. Is it slower than normal?
I don't think his health is good enough because he still opens his mouth every now and then. If the anemone is healthier, will it return to its original size much more quickly?

Last edited:
The time to recover will change depending on many factors. The important thing to note is the frequency. Once a day is the most it should be before it is concerning - even daily for many days is concerning. Every few days or less should not be a concern.

Thanks for all your support.

I am amazed at this bold method Anemone is doing. It was written that it removes waste products from the body. Assuming he is a bit sick, if we were to compare it to humans, it would be similar to the phenomenon of phlegm and pus being expelled from a person who has a cold or wound.....

I wish him good health.

Last edited:
Thank you...Since then....
he hasn't shrunk every day and has only shrunk a total of 3 times so far. Little by little, he seems to be regaining his health, and the color of his tentacles seems to be a little better after shrinking than before shrinking. (Maybe it's just my imagination)

By the way...

My hands turned red and itchy when I touched them with my bare hands. I was surprised at how toxic sea anemones are. But it doesn't matter. What I wanted to ask today is whether their excrement is also poisonous.

There are several "Niotha livescens" in the tank that eat the leftover food and feces of clownfish.
Is it possible to eat anemone excrement?

My anemone ate a large oyster yesterday....

Last edited:
Glad to hear the anemone seems to be doing better.

Regarding the red and itching, some people are affected by anemone stings and others aren’t. Still, others may exhibit lesser symptoms to the sting. I know some anemones will give me a reaction while other so not. Best to wear nitrile gloves when handling them.

What kind of waste and how much are your anemones releasing? In other words, what does it look like and how often are they doing this?

Thank you for your reply!

To be honest, It hasn't been long since I started keeping anemones, so I don't know whether the lumps they spit out are digested feces or undigested food.

The only time I could clearly see the excrement was when I ate a lot of rice. About 24 to 30 hours after eating, I threw up a lump the size of one-third to one-fourth of what I ate.

24 hours later would be excrement, but would also include undigested food if the anemone was fed too much food. They have to spit everything out after about a day, to keep undigested food from rotting in their body.

The redness and itching is not because of poison, instead, anemone tentacles are covered with nematocysts, a special kind of stinging cell with barbs for catching food and self defense. They are the same cells found in jellyfish.

Best to wear nitrile gloves when handling them.
Thanks for the advice!!
When I first got stung, my hands and arms were covered in red spots that were extremely itchy for about two weeks. However, after the second time, there was no swelling. Maybe my body has gotten used to it. But I should probably wear gloves.

24 hours later would be excrement, but would also include undigested food if the anemone was fed too much food. They have to spit everything out after about a day, to keep undigested food from rotting in their body.
I'm so glad I figured this out!!!
I found out that they were not throwing up because they were sick, but because I had fed them more food than they could digest in 24 hours.

The redness and itching is not because of poison, instead, anemone tentacles are covered with nematocysts, a special kind of stinging cell with barbs for catching food and self defense. They are the same cells found in jellyfish.
It turns out that sea anemones have no poison in their bodies, only the cnidocytes in their tentacles. "Niotha livescens" is safe even if you eat sea anemone feces. However, I realized that it is important to keep the amount of food to a minimum so that undigested food does not get mixed into the sea anemone's feces.

Thank you to everyone on the forum for the kind advice that always really helps my anemones.
thanks so much!!!

I'll move on to another topic...(Should I start another thread in this case? If so, sorry)
I once saw a ”Stichodactyla tapetum” In a tide pool on a nearby coast. I don't think it's a clown anemone, but do some people keep it?
Is it an anemone that is difficult to keep?

Last edited:
oh! is that so!
They are a popular type in the hobby!! ! I did not know!!
It was definitely a beautiful color. Creatures with such colors are rare in the waters around Tokyo.

I saw it at the beach in the same winter as now. This coast is an hour's drive from Tokyo. It is probably the northernmost point in Japan where warm sea creatures can live. It was located behind a rock on the shore.

I will visit there again and look for them!
Luckily, if I find it again, I'll take a photo! thank you!

Last edited:
Please take pictures when you see things in the wild. Those of us who live in the middle of a continent love seeing the objects of our hobby in the wild.

Bradley, who posted above, and I met at a store today and they had two Mini-Maxis for sale. In fact, a member here was the first person to introduce these anemones in the hobby.

I see....It is called Mini-Maxis or Max-mini !!!
I looked at the photos and it looks like they come in a variety of colors! I remember that the color I saw was a mixture of green and light blue, with a little pink mixed in as well.

The place I'm going to is ”Shibasaki coast” at Hayama. It is a very shallow rocky coast.
I go during spring tide, when the tide is at its lowest. Therefore, in summer, it is daytime. In winter, It's midnight.

Despite its proximity to Tokyo, this coast is famous in Japan for its abundance of sea slugs. I was happy to find a Melibe sea slug there. When I go underwater in the summer, I can also see clusters of sea ferns. I heard that once a year, sea ferns gather in the shallow water there to spawn. However, I couldn't keep either of them in an aquarium for a long time...I just watched them at sea.

Next time I go to the coast, I'm sure I'll be looking for Mini-Maxis like crazy....!!!
I hope I can meet them again!!!

Last edited:
Bradley, who posted above, and I met at a store today and they had two Mini-Maxis for sale. In fact, a member here was the first person to introduce these anemones in the hobby.
Really! That's amazing!!
and I see, You two are good friends!!
Last night, I discovered Mr. Bradley's video. I was able to see how the Magnifica (and other anemones of course) are kept in good condition and how different types of anemones live In a tank where long experience has been accumulated..It's very helpful and I'm happy. thank you!!

Last edited:
Back