Tentacle condition of Heteractis Magnifica

It’s an older book, but a lot of good information.
Oh, that's very unfortunate....
I tried it, but it seems that American Kindles & amazon cannot be purchased from Japan.
I'm sorry that I couldn't use your recommendation...
But thank you for your kindness!! thanks so much!!

Last edited:
I see....It is called Mini-Maxis or Max-mini !!!
I looked at the photos and it looks like they come in a variety of colors! I remember that the color I saw was a mixture of green and light blue, with a little pink mixed in as well.

The place I'm going to is ”Shibasaki coast” at Hayama. It is a very shallow rocky coast.
I go during spring tide, when the tide is at its lowest. Therefore, in summer, it is daytime. In winter, It's midnight.

Despite its proximity to Tokyo, this coast is famous in Japan for its abundance of sea slugs. I was happy to find a Melibe sea slug there. When I go underwater in the summer, I can also see clusters of sea ferns. I heard that once a year, sea ferns gather in the shallow water there to spawn. However, I couldn't keep either of them in an aquarium for a long time...I just watched them at sea.

Next time I go to the coast, I'm sure I'll be looking for Mini-Maxis like crazy....!!!
I hope I can meet them again!!!

S. Tapetum I have kept some. They have lost favor as of late.

They do not host fish and instead have a very strong sting and will eat fish. They have a real strong grip. Most stay rather small. I also believe allot of anemones sold as Maxi minis are not S. Tapetum.

They are hardy and do move around but not often.

Below is a old picture of one of mine. This one ate several fish. Matter of fact this anemone ate more fish than any of my S. Haddoni ever did combined..

ATT_1427857060121_20150331_184609.jpg

Thank you for the interesting information!
Is it because they eat the important fish in the tank that their favorability has decreased?

After doing some research,
I found out that S. Tapetum is a relatively common anemone seen on the coast around Hayama where I go.I'm even more excited to go.

In the past...my partner has seen them on the coast much more often than I have. For some reason, she's better at spotting living things than I am. But when she tried to collect it, she said she couldn't do it. As you said, it's probably because the grip is very strong!!

I'm planning to go to the coast again on the 12th of this month. Weather permitting. It's midnight so I don't know if I'll be able to find it. If I find it, I'll take a photo, so please take a look! thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the interesting information!
Is it because they eat the important fish in the tank that their favorability has decreased?

Na fad driven. This hobby is highly fad driven lately and they were the in thing for a while. Acans, blastos, muchrooms, rock/flower anemones, A. tenuis etc there have been so many fads in the reefing in the USA. That is the way with everything. I never understood it I have always done my own thing. I have been in the hobby to long and sit and watch all these people spend a fortune just to have this fad coral just to come way down in price later when a new fad comes out. Na, not for me and I honestly do not understand it myself. The fear of being left behind, got to have what others have, always trying to fit in.

Last edited:
Na fad driven. This hobby is highly fad driven lately and they were the in thing for a while. Acans, blastos, muchrooms, tenuis etc there have been so many fads in the reefing in the USA. That is the way with everything. I never understood it I have always done my own thing. I have been in the hobby to long and sit and watch all these people spend a fortune just to have this fad coral just to come way down in price later when a new fad comes out. Na, not for me and I honestly do not understand it myself. The fear of being left behind, got to have what others have, always trying to fit in.
I'm with you David. I got into R. Florida back in 1990 (before they became popular) and those are still my favorite soft coral. Once we developed the knowledge to keep Acros, those became (and still are) my favorite SPS. My first Acro was a plain brown one that I got mail order from Premium Aquatics and I loved that coral. I never got into the Acans, Blastos, etc. and I absolutely despise the commercial names that have been given to corals.

and I absolutely despise the commercial names
Well, I'm sure you said that before. Yes,I totally agree!!!
Actually, I like growing plants, but I feel uncomfortable with the commercial names given to plants...

Na fad driven.
I think so too.

As a side note...This is the plant I am growing. It's the middle of winter now, so I'm bringing it indoors. As you can see, it has a natural shape similar to an anemone. I'm sure I'm attracted to that kind of shape for some reason. That's my personal love, since childhood.
824426D6-A4B7-45D6-B0C4-230360F4FF4F_1_201_a.jpeg

I am attracted to shapes that are not made by humans and things that cannot be easily controlled by humans. It's hard to grow, but it's a lot of fun.

Anemones appear to be hybrids of plants and animals that live symbiotically with zooxanthellae. I sometimes dream that if humans could live like that, things would be more peaceful...

This was my personal digression...sorry!!!

Last edited:
Actually, I like growing plants, but I feel uncomfortable with the commercial names given to plants...

I think so too.

As a side note...This is the plant I am growing. It's the middle of winter now, so I'm bringing it indoors. As you can see, it has a natural shape similar to an anemone. I'm sure I'm attracted to that kind of shape for some reason. That's my personal love, since childhood.
View attachment 32396390
I am attracted to shapes that are not made by humans and things that cannot be easily controlled by humans. It's hard to grow, but it's a lot of fun.

Anemones appear to be hybrids of plants and animals that live symbiotically with zooxanthellae. I sometimes dream that if humans could live like that, things would be more peaceful...

That’s a neat one…looks almost like a giant epiphyte

I think so too.

View attachment 32396390

Super cool. We are heavy gardeners ourselves.

My latest lagoon reef aquarium is going to have tropical plants around a section of it to make it look like a real lagoon..
I am going to build a land section and plant plants in it.

That’s a neat one…looks almost like a giant epiphyte
I'm glad you're interested!
Yes, this is Tillandsia duratii, which is native to Central and South America. You're right, it's now a giant epiphyte about 5 feet long.

Last fall, 7 flower buds appeared from 2 plants, and I was very happy to see so many small, very fragrant flowers. I don't have a greenhouse with enough humidity, so I hang it from the living room ceiling like this in the winter. Come April, I take them outside and give them plenty of light, water, and most importantly, wind (just like water flow is essential for anemones!!) and they start growing again.

Until then, I will focus on stabilizing the state of Magnifica in front of me!!!

Last edited:
I'm glad you're interested!
Yes, this is Tillandsia durati, which is native to Central and South America. You're right, it's now a giant epiphyte about 5 feet long.

Last fall, 7 flower buds appeared from 2 plants, and I was very happy to see so many small, very fragrant flowers. I don't have a greenhouse with enough humidity, so I'm currently hanging it from the ceiling in the living room. Come April, I take them outside and give them plenty of light, water, and most importantly, wind (just like water flow is essential for anemones!!) and they start growing again.

Until then, I will focus on stabilizing the state of Magnifica in front of me!!!
Love it!

Super cool. We are heavy gardeners ourselves.

My latest lagoon reef aquarium is going to have tropical plants around a section of it to make it look like a real lagoon..
I am going to build a land section and plant plants in it.
Wow, thank you so much!
And your plans are so exciting!!

After all, both underwater creatures and land plants are amazing, and I never tire of watching them interact with each other and deeply support each other. Although they are far from humans, they are also creatures like humans...What a wonder!!! It even makes me feel pious...

I hope that when your project comes to fruition, it will surely be beautiful and many interesting phenomena will appear!!
(Please forgive my poor English expression.)

Last edited:
I was very, very lucky!!!!
Last night, February 12th, my partner and I headed to the area around Shibasaki coast. The peak of low tide was at 0:50, and the tide level was 10 cm (about 4 inches).

And we were able to discover a single Stichodactyla tapetum just below the exposed rock!! Unfortunately, it was pitch black and the only light was from the headlights, so I wasn't able to take a photo of the entire coast. Its body was bent in half and just below the water's surface, but that's why I was able to clearly see its pink lower body and discover it!!

IMG_9695 2(1).jpeg

I only had a little time until the tide came in, so this was the only S.tapetum I was able to meet. Still, I consider myself very lucky. Even better, this rocky area is made of the most fragile "sandstone" in the Shibasaki area, so it was easy to collect.

0A604F14-1114-408E-BE5E-326AF67CB800.jpeg

The one attached next to it is Placiphorella stimpsoni. It also a strange color.

IMG_9851.jpeg

They are in my room now and are slowly getting used to the high temperatures...The small brown anemones are Anthopleura sp. which I collected by digging my arms deep into the sand. In Japan, this anemone is eaten as food. ( I have never eaten anemone!! )

On this day, I was able to catch two anemones, And I'm happy to be able to show you a photo of anemones that live in the seas of Japan. thank you!!!

Last edited:
Thank you very much!!
I'm working on the layout of the inside of the tank right now. I'll share pics when I get it set up right!

FYI.
February is the coldest month of the year. The nominal sea surface temperature where this individual was located is February averaged about 16°C (60°F), and August averaged about 27°C (80°F).
This individual was semi-exposed at a tide level of 10 cm. If the tide level were zero, it would be just exposed. At high tide, he would be at a depth of about 2 meters (6.5 feet)

He clung to the south side of the rock, which somewhat hid him as a roof.
There were many purple sea urchins nearby....

Last edited:
A small yellowish-brown anemone I picked up from the sand the other day is described in Japan only as "Anthopleura sp." Seems to me like it is probably a close relative of Anthopleura artemisia (moonglow anemone).

It looks plain, but I like it very much. It is interesting that it prefers to stay at the bottom of the tank, in very contrast to Magnifica, which prefers to go to the top of the tank!!

by the way...
Are there people who keep anemones (such as Calliactis Polypus) that live symbiotically on the backs of hermit crabs in tank?

I would love to see a picture of your new anemone.

The symbiotic anemones and crabs were very popular in the hobby (at least is the US) but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen them offered for sale at a local store.

Thank you for your reply!
I see, anemones that coexist with hermit crabs were popular in US! I realized that there are many people who are interested not only in anemones that coexist with clownfish, but also in various other anemones! By the way...What I don't understand is what happens to the anemone if the hermit crab dies. Will he continue to live on a enpty shell? Will he wait there until another hermit crab comes to pick him up??

Yes, I will take a photo of the new anemone!!
Before that, I would like to post a photo of a sea slug that I met on the corst the other day, although it is not anemone...
6000AC65-6386-491E-B81C-06DD0E08FB20_1_201_a.jpeg

This is Hydatina Physis (striped paper bubble). On this day, three of them were gathered on the sand of the tide pool.
5C0CB84A-8BF1-4191-B1FD-E67C62703863_1_201_a.jpeg

It was so beautiful that my partner and I held it in the palm of our hands.
E747F325-8684-4429-B180-649E70B76134_1_201_a.jpeg

But I didn't collect it. Their food is Cirriformia tentaculata, so I can't keep feeding them in the tank. But I was very happy to meet them!

Another thing I came across was Callianassa japonica, which looks a lot like a mantis shrimp. It was my first time meeting him.
IMG_9913.jpeg

I realized once again that there are many creatures on the coast that I have yet to encounter!!!

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the anemone on crab shells, if the crab were to die, I honestly don’t know the answer. I would assume the anemone would either continue to live on the shell or would move on to another crab’s shell.

Back