Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad

I added a capful of the phosphate remover by Clorox and I had no reaction. I tried with cold ro water with a power head in there. Do I need to change something?

You wont see any kind of reaction-no bubbling or any thing. Wait about 24 hours and test your water and phosphates should be lowered. After about 2 weeks of adding the lc every day I had almost undetectable phosphates.

I'd keep it in the brute. My power head and heater had a white film on them after dosing the rock in my plastic trash can. Its kind of a pain to remove and gets in every crack and crevice of the equipment. You probably dont want that in your DT.

I have no idea what's in the Clorox product. The active ingredient in SeaKlear is lanthanum chloride.

I didn't read through the entire thread but I used dry Pukani rock from BRS and didn't see any "leaching" Could the leaching be because the rock was not cured?

I picked off all the dead animals and sponges as much as I could. Then I ran it in pure RODI water for 3 days, i put as much flow as I could on the rock. This blasted off a ton of particles and more dead organisms.

Then I cured the rock in saltwater for 4 weeks. I saw the ammonia spike and then drop and then the nitrate rise and then stay steady. I didn't want my nitrifying bacteria to die so I added some pellets every other day.

This process stunk, especially the first 10 days, after that the stench died down. Running carbon helped somewhat but not much.

When I put the all new rock in my tank it didn't leach any phosphate at all and I transferred 5 fish from my old tank with no spike in ammonia either. I did seed 3 blocks of marinepure in my old sump before moving to the new tank.

I used BRS Reef saver rock before without curing and didn't see a leach but that's because that rock didn't come from the ocean and has no life on it.

I have read where others have not had any phosphate issues with Pukani as well. I guess it may have something to do where and what the water conditions were from where the rock was originally harvested.

It's easy to put in some saltwater in a bin ;check the PO4; then check it again a few times over the course of a week or so to see if a particular batch of rock (live or dry) is leaching . If so ,treating the wate with lanthanum is easier in a curing bin than a reef tank. The curing process also gives some time for bacteria to act on any organics on the rock and allows the biofilter to become established before the rock goes into the tank.

It's easy to put in some saltwater in a bin ;check the PO4; then check it again a few times over the course of a week or so to see if a particular batch of rock (live or dry) is leaching . If so ,treating the wate with lanthanum is easier in a curing bin than a reef tank. The curing process also gives some time for bacteria to act on any organics on the rock and allows the biofilter to become established before the rock goes into the tank.

I agree! Thats the way I did it and it worked out great. :spin1:

Ok so after 3 days of using the Clorox phosphate remover...I've gone from .17 to .02 phosphates. I dozed again and gonna check again tomorrow.

I did tub my in my brute container with heater on, pump running and lid closed. When took off lid, made sure I wiped off the water to prevent the phosphates going back into the water.

Back