Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad

After testing near 0 I didn't dose for about 2 days and tested again. If phosphates start to go back up do a water change again. Unless you got a really bad batch of rock you should be close to having the phosphates gone. They may leech some small amounts but once the rock is cured the biological filter/water changes should keep it under control.

Ok Cool thank you. I dozed today so I'll check tomorrow and hold off dosing for few days. Also just for info...Wal-Mart has it for 8.97

I must have had rock full of phosphate. Well, either that or I didn't dose often enough. However, when I added the LC, there was an obvious change in the water. There was a white substance which I assume was the precipitate.

Yes, the white was likely lanthanum phosphate. You can keep dosing until the white doesn't appear if you're treating rock in a curing tub. I wouldn't do that with a running system.

Yes, the white was likely lanthanum phosphate. You can keep dosing until the white doesn't appear if you're treating rock in a curing tub. I wouldn't do that with a running system.

This is what I did. Didn't bother testing, just put some lc in every day until it stopped precipitating. Then I did a 100% water change and repeat.

I wasn't in a hurry.

I just received 75 pounds of Pukani dry rock from BRS.

It's damp and smells pretty bad...

While working with it I noticed tons of dead organic material inside the rock much like dirt compost.

That for sure will leach out for some time and cause some high levels.

I will have to thoroughly rinse and cure this rock before its thrown in the display.

I got my 50 lbs in several shipments but this last 20 lbs leached 0 phosphates. I'm going to leave it in the plastic container is fresh water a few more days and test but so far so good!

This is what I did. Didn't bother testing, just put some lc in every day until it stopped precipitating. Then I did a 100% water change and repeat.

I wasn't in a hurry.
Did the same thing, except I tested every once in a while to see where it was at. At .01 I put it in the tank. GFO and water changes will clean up the rest eventually.

I washed mine outside with the hose and removed as much dead material as posssible.

Then I placed the rock in a curing trash can with fresh saltwater, a pump and heater.

The next morning I could hardly see the top rocks through the water.

I did a 10 gallon water change and threw in a skimmer to help remove those decade/decaying organics.

So far after 3 days I have pulled over a gallon of the nastiest skimmate I've ever pulled.

It's starting to clear up and stink less and less with every day.

I am glad I decided to cure this rock and didn't just throw it in my display.

I washed mine outside with the hose and removed as much dead material as posssible.

Then I placed the rock in a curing trash can with fresh saltwater, a pump and heater.

The next morning I could hardly see the top rocks through the water.

I did a 10 gallon water change and threw in a skimmer to help remove those decade/decaying organics.

So far after 3 days I have pulled over a gallon of the nastiest skimmate I've ever pulled.

It's starting to clear up and stink less and less with every day.

I am glad I decided to cure this rock and didn't just throw it in my display.
I am about to start this process myself, I ordered 70 lbs of pukani from Tampa bay saltwater, should have it in a few days going to end up in a reefer 525xl, I am going to sculpt the rock before curing, just wondering if there is a difference between using fresh (rodi) and saltwater for the curing process and whats the benefit if your going to dump the water anyway? I already have the brute container, power head, thermometer etc.

Also, has anyone here been successful with growing coralline algae on the rocks while curing? I have plenty of rocks I could seed with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I use salt water during lanthanum treatment because the chemistry is closer to the tank that will house the rock eventually ,so glitches in PO4 leaching in salt water later vs freshwater during a lanthanum treatment seem less likely. It also affords an opportunity for the nitrogen cycle to start while curing. It only costs a few dollars more than using freshwater.
Coraline can grow if salt water is used and the curing vessel is lit. However, this approach will encourage nuisance alge growth . Further the ammonia oxidizing bacteria are a bit photophobic and will be easier to establish without the light needed by coralline. So, I prefer curing in unlit bins containing slatwater.

Last edited:
I'm using PhosFree to remove the phosphates in my Marco Rock. About 120lbs of it.

dosing every other day skipping about 5 days at one point. These are my results:

Phosphates on first test via Haana Checker: 0.123 on March 19th - 0.040 on April 5th Dosing 30ml Phosfree everytime.

They go up and down inbetween doses which means they are steadily leaching phosphets. I will continue to dose while my Marco Dry Rocks are curing. Patience is key.

0.04ppm might be as low as you can get in salt water. Are you using saltwater or freshwater btw.

new to to the hobby

new to to the hobby

Hi all, let me start by saying I know nothing. I started my 55g tank 6 months ago. I have 40 lbs live sand, 50 lbs live rock, and 10 lbs pukani. The sand was already established, I ordered my rock, put it in a tub of saltwater with a powerhead and a heater set at 80 deg.f. run it for 1 week then cleaned the rock changed my water and added bio spira accordingly and let it run 1 more week under a light on a timer. Checked it daily to make sure it cycled and when the nitrates were at 0 I started adding it to my tank. Now I have coralline in reds, purples, browns, and greens. Tank is stocked with 4 hermit crabs, 4 snails, 2 clowns, 2 pajamas, a sailfin tang, and a Blue throat trigger, 1 fire shrimp, and 1 coral banded shrimp. I have 1 small frag sps and 2 toadstools. All seem to be doing just fine. I start with Ro/Di water, ph 8.2, nitrites 0. Nitrates 0.25, ammonia 0, calcium was 480. I run a 30g refugium and a skimmer. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi all, let me start by saying I know nothing. I started my 55g tank 6 months ago. I have 40 lbs live sand, 50 lbs live rock, and 10 lbs pukani. The sand was already established, I ordered my rock, put it in a tub of saltwater with a powerhead and a heater set at 80 deg.f. run it for 1 week then cleaned the rock changed my water and added bio spira accordingly and let it run 1 more week under a light on a timer. Checked it daily to make sure it cycled and when the nitrates were at 0 I started adding it to my tank. Now I have coralline in reds, purples, browns, and greens. Tank is stocked with 4 hermit crabs, 4 snails, 2 clowns, 2 pajamas, a sailfin tang, and a Blue throat trigger, 1 fire shrimp, and 1 coral banded shrimp. I have 1 small frag sps and 2 toadstools. All seem to be doing just fine. I start with Ro/Di water, ph 8.2, nitrites 0. Nitrates 0.25, ammonia 0, calcium was 480. I run a 30g refugium and a skimmer. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sounds like your off to a good start! How many powerheads do you have in the tank?

Back