Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad

can you use tap water for this cause Im guessing that the sealer will bind to the phosphates in the tapwater as well as the normal water

I'd be more worried about metals like copper that can then be absorbed by the rocks and leached later. But many use tap water successfully for years. It all depends on what's in that tap water. My house has copper pipes so no way I would use it.

I agree that it all depends on what's in the tap water. I probably would use RO/DI, but I am risk-averse.

I use ro/di water for making the salt water I use in the tanks;so I use ro/di for the rock in curing solution(fresh or salted) for the same reasons.

You paid to have the commodity of pure water, use it! no risk, minimal cost. JMO. I've also been curing rocks and using LC, but I have done fewer water changes and longer timelines.

It should be said again, it's really important to get rid of all of the build up from the LC. Brush, swish, brush swish. It really is a job cleaning it up, but better safe than sorry.

I have used bags in the past but they clog immediately and are not cheap. I made the mistake of buying with a metal ring inside. Difficult to clean.

You can just add 10 ml or so, and repeat now and then if you see precipitation. If you overdose, nothing much is going to happen. The SeaKlear might precipitate with some alkalinity, but for curing rock, that's okay. I'm assuming you're going to ditch the water and rinse the rock when you're done curing.

So where do I find seaKlear and how much does it cost? Also are there any other brands that work?

So where do I find seaKlear and how much does it cost? Also are there any other brands that work?

I found a bottle of LC at Lowes marked as phosphate remover in the pool section yesterday. Its the same thing as SeaKlear just named "Phosphate Remover". Its made by Clorox but the ingredients state lanthanum chloride. Cost $13.00 for a 32oz bottle.

Thanks

Do you change the water out once a week or something as well or do you just keep testing the PO4 till it's gone?

Thanks

Do you change the water out once a week or something as well or do you just keep testing the PO4 till it's gone?

I used half a bottle. Just dumped a cap in every night.
I did 4 100% water changes over the course of a month and a half. (Just rodi)

Same here. 100% water change every week or so. I am using saltwater though. I tested this last batch of Puknai which has had a vinegar soak, rinsed and RODI saltwater for about 2 weeks with heater and powerhead and dosing LC. I'm showing close to undetectable phosphates. Ammonia is through the roof though with all the die off still going on-lol

Same here. 100% water change every week or so. I am using saltwater though. I tested this last batch of Puknai which has had a vinegar soak, rinsed and RODI saltwater for about 2 weeks with heater and powerhead and dosing LC. I'm showing close to undetectable phosphates. Ammonia is through the roof though with all the die off still going on-lol

I did the MA soak and bleach on mine. I am a big fan of overkill though and I wasn't in a hurry.

Just started another 25lbs today. I've still got to build a stand, drill the tank and build the sump. I'm hoping all this Pukani will be clean of phosphates and cured by the time I'm done with everything. Hopefully I can start going wet in a month or so.

Ok I just wanted to clarify before I try this...the product is seaklear phosphate remover? Also if I make my brute container of saltwater then add my rock and then add the sea klear(how much for 20 gal of water and 55lbs of rock?) I should not have to change out the water because it perceiptates out? Also is this ok to do in a room or has to be outside? Thank you for all the help.

Didn't realize be all this work involved when getting dry rock lol. Thank again

It's fine inside ;no fumes or anything like that. I used a capful every day or so ,checking PO4 along the way,aiming for low PO4 in the water . Once it stays under .1 for a week without dosing it has likely stopped leaching much. It will also deplete alkalinity but that shouldn't be a big concern while curing the rock . Just rinse/swish off precipitants before placing it in the display

Back