Question about tank breed clowns

turkey3

All of the tank raised clowns I've seen at my LFS are much less vibrant in color then thier wild caught counterparts. Will they become more brightly colored over time or is will they always be draber on color?

JamesJR

Yes, a clownfishes diet can certainly have an impact on the coloration of the fishes. the bright orange colors the clownfish have are very strongly tied to pigments that naturally occur in the foods they eat.
I would definately recommend frozen cyclopeeze for clownfish.

joker577

In Memoriam
Another good food to try is called Formula One, it's a frozen food and pellet food although the frozen is better. Basically it was designed for a clownfish's diet.
Shrimp, krill, gel binder, spinach, clams, krill hydrolysate, sardine meal, plankton, salmon egg oil, squid, kelp, lecithin, casein, paprika, canthaxanthin, cod liver oil, astaxanthin, vitamins (choline chloride, ascorbic acid including stabilized vitamin C, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite chloride, vitamin B-12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, beta-carotene supplement, biotin), amino acids (dl-methionine, taurine, lysine), and trace elements of manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, and sodium selenite.