Question with Oregon Tort Color....

I received a frag from aquavista(i think) and can say that led lighting works pretty good as well. This coral loves light.

Currently have it under t5 and it is growing ok but turning beige.

You don't have access to an Apogee PAR meter by any chance? I can say that my tort looks best when it's getting 700 umol/m2 or more. No matter what, I'm curious to see how your frag changes over time. I have had many, many corals that took years to change from brown pale frags into colorful colonies.

Joe,

Yes I have a PAR meter. My OT is currently sitting in one of the brightest spots in my tank at around 500. If I switch to the 400watt I can easily boost this area to 700+. As the coral grows upward this will obviously increase substantially.

On another note. It is time to change out bulbs anyway, the current one is about 11 months old. I may switch to a new 250watt before trying the 400

Joe, how long did it take for your frag to darken after giving it more light?

After 10 days of additional feeding, decreased GFO, and shorter photoperiod many of my corals have started to darken up and look more like when I actually had fish in the tank. :lol: However, the OT has not changed. It’s just as light as it ever was. I planned on waiting a full 30 before changing the light intensity but my curiosity got the best of me. ;) I moved the OT a little higher, changed out the 250w Radium (it was 13 months old), and pointed one of my 23 watt 20k Par38 bulbs right at the frag. I don't want to use the 400w Radium unless its absolutely necessary. I increase the PAR on this coral from 500-600 to 800-900. I look forward to seeing a change, fingers crossed.

When I first purchased my OT it was tannish/brown. It took a few months to look like this.
The color is starting to come back and the polyps are starting to turn blue. (the frag was under AI SOL Blue before)
DSC_0302.jpg

This is the frag a few months ago after being right under 400w 20k for about 8 months.
P1020097.jpg

Any updates pics for christmas :)

The coral has grown a bit but no changes to the color unfortunately. I've maintained the reduced GFO but kind of slacked off on feeding the tank regularly. I really need to get some more fish in there.

OP: Even if it's not an Oregon tort, it looks absolutely beautiful to me. I think we spend too much time in this hobby worrying about pedigree. Not saying that the 'pedigree' corals are often spectacular, but I've seen nonames that are very bit as beautiful. I would be proud to have that coral in my tank. Also, identifying a coral species is nearly impossible until they grow out and, it is my understanding that in many instances, a confirmed identification requires placing the skeleton under a microscope.

Your tank looks pretty amazing to me and again, you should be proud. I'd also suggest that 'low nutrient' is in the eye of the beholder. We've all seen VLN tanks that are amazing. On the other hand, there are those that swear by the need for measurable phosphates (and even some that insist you need some nitrates) to have a successful tank. If what you are doing is working (and it certainly appears that it is), keep it up.

Thanks Stoli,

I'm happy with this system. So far everything I've put in there has grown well (knock on wood) and overall I'm very satisfied with the colors. Typically, I wouldn't be that concerned with the lineage but this coral was given to me through our club's Coral Donor Program (CDP). Once grown out I'm required to donate frags back to other members. All this is handled thru a separate forum and database setup on our club's site. Its important that I represent this coral as accurately as is reasonably possible when providing it to others.

The coral doner program sounds very interesting. We here in AZ have a propagated coral program where we hold an auction every two months. Local reefers can sell their frags at the auction and the group keeps a small commission that we use to purchase new interesting frags. We then grow them out in local tanks and then sell frags at the auction. The results have been terrific with a steady influx of new corals into our community.

I will say that corals with proven pedigrees tend to sell for a higher price and I understand your concern about getting the ID correct. Right now, is the pedigree Zoas and Palys that seem to be in highest demand.

Thanks Stoli,

I'm happy with this system. So far everything I've put in there has grown well (knock on wood) and overall I'm very satisfied with the colors. Typically, I wouldn't be that concerned with the lineage but this coral was given to me through our club's Coral Donor Program (CDP). Once grown out I'm required to donate frags back to other members. All this is handled thru a separate forum and database setup on our club's site. Its important that I represent this coral as accurately as is reasonably possible when providing it to others.

Can I be part of the donor club?

I think you have the real Oregon Tort. I've seen mine go through a phase of looking like that. I agree that your corals look a little pale. I would get a Hanna PO4 tester and see what your at. I would consider feeding more an not letting them get above .03ppm.

I really enjoyed this thread. Reeferhead you have a beautiful tank. :)

Thanks sahin

I was kidding I was talking about getting a frag of that amazing OT.

:lol:

I think you have the real Oregon Tort. I've seen mine go through a phase of looking like that. I agree that your corals look a little pale. I would get a Hanna PO4 tester and see what your at. I would consider feeding more an not letting them get above .03ppm.

I have a Hanna, this tank has always read undetectable for PO4. We'll see what happens when I get a few more fish. I'm still thinking of throwing on the 400 watter though

Back