Questions about OMAS

CGill311

Hi all. I'm writing to introduce myself. My name is Chris Gill and I will be moving to Bartlesville in February 2009. I'm an avid reef keeper and member of the Atlanta Reef Club currently.

I'm wondering what the reefing community is like in Oklahoma. meetings, local shops, membership benefits, etc.

Also, I'll be looking for a new or used 90+ gallon RR tank. I'll be hitting you guys up for some nice frags in 6 months or so! :D

Anyways, hello and happy holidays!

well let's see I've been a member for a year now and I love it everyone is very nice and helpful. Meetings are fun and informative. And all the local shops are great a little something for everyone and every price range and if they don't have it they will get it. Anyways we look forward to meeting you.

Kewl...another DAWG becoming an Okie [FYI - put ranch dressing on everything, you'll fit right in]....not that I can brag about DAWGS this year....I think we've met Chris. Marine Fish on Johnson Ferry Road maybe?

OMAS information

OMAS information

Welcome to RC and to Tulsa (in February):)

OMAS is a great club with lots of members. We meet on the third Saturday of every month at 7:30PM. The location changes to a different members home each time. Typically meetings are discussions where everyone can join in and ask questions. We have lots of food and good times at the meetings.

The club is sponsored by Aquarium Oddballs and Zoanuts in the OKC area. Aquarium Oddballs offers OMAS members a 10% discount on live goods. Both stores have lots of awesome corals. Aquarium Oddballs will probably load you up on frags for cheap when you get here (cause that's the kinda guy he is!) and what he doesn't have the club can help fill in. The tank we can start helping you to find in the mean time.

The club website is www.omas.org and you can find meeting times and other neat info there.

See you in February.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13876378#post13876378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scott0615
Kewl...another DAWG becoming an Okie [FYI - put ranch dressing on everything, you'll fit right in]....not that I can brag about DAWGS this year....I think we've met Chris. Marine Fish on Johnson Ferry Road maybe?

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm a Georgia Tech student! Go jackets!!! Finally beat Georgia this year! Woohoo!

It's possible that we've met. When I had my tank running, I was in Marine Fish every week or 2. Are you a part owner or something? I noticed Premier Aquatics is a shop in Tulsa, which seemed strange to me considering they work out of Marine Fish in Atlanta.

Oh, I love ranch, so that's comforting. :)

You will love the Tulsa area. I am a transplant from Texas and they have made us feel at home up here. Two of the LFS in Tulsa have owners named Scott and they are very competitive. Both of them will treat you right and each of them have GREAT inventories of both livestock and dry goods.
The members of OMAS are here to help you with anything you need either in the hobby or otherwise.

Premier is my baby that I sold to Marine Fish before departing the amazing traffic of the ATL. We opened another store here in Tulsa. I'm still more involved than I want to be! Sorry, probably too much info for the thread...will get shut down now since I mentioned my store....sorry - gimme a call at the shop. Would love a recount of the changes in Atlanta. I heard Bobby shut down Cap Bay....sucks. Tough biz these days.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13876911#post13876911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scott0615
Premier is my baby that I sold to Marine Fish before departing the amazing traffic of the ATL. We opened another store here in Tulsa. I'm still more involved than I want to be! Sorry, probably too much info for the thread...will get shut down now since I mentioned my store....sorry - gimme a call at the shop. Would love a recount of the changes in Atlanta. I heard Bobby shut down Cap Bay....sucks. Tough biz these days.

I lived on the north side of Atlanta, so every weekend I was at Cap Bay, Marine Fish, or both. The closing of Cap Bay is kind of hush hush on the ARC forums. Apparently there was some drama behind the scenes that few people know about.

With the economy as it is, I wonda if I should get back into this crazy, expensive hobby (especially when I have a growing desire to only stock my tank with LE corals). Unfortunately for my wallet, the allure is irresistable...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13876911#post13876911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scott0615
Premier is my baby that I sold to Marine Fish before departing the amazing traffic of the ATL.

heh...I won't be missing the ATL traffic. That's for sure. I hear they actually have cars now in Bartlesville. Wonder if I'll ever see one...

:D

Glad your thinkin of stayin in the hobby but gotta say I love the idea of "LE" corals..."LE" would mean "they" [whoever "they" are would not be making any more????]. Anyone need some stresscoat? Because fish run out of slime to protect themselves...sounds familiar????????????????

BTW...still feelin a sting on my but...would not have said a word if I knew you were a "BEE"!!!!!!!!! Great year for you guys...good lookin team! Next year though.........you'll look better than we do again without all the media hype.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13878367#post13878367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scott0615
Glad your thinkin of stayin in the hobby but gotta say I love the idea of "LE" corals..."LE" would mean "they" [whoever "they" are would not be making any more????]. Anyone need some stresscoat? Because fish run out of slime to protect themselves...sounds familiar????????????????

?? You lost me there at the end.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13877066#post13877066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CGill311
heh...I won't be missing the ATL traffic. That's for sure. I hear they actually have cars now in Bartlesville. Wonder if I'll ever see one...

:D

Welcome to the area. I've lived here 10 years now and with my job I travel the country extensively, and can tell you there are a lot worst places to be. You'll come to appreciate that here we call traffic when we are driving 10 mph or more under the speed limit. I hear it all the time, someone will say, "Sorry I'm late, the traffic was all backed up on the highway, the speed was down to 45 most of the way...".

And yes, we do have iron horses here, those automobiles as they call them. You'll find that there are less parking spaces at many places than hitching posts, but if you get a nice big 4x4 then you can just park in the ditch like most of us do.

If you want to learn more about recreation in Oklahoma, watch Dirty Jobs, the episodes when Mike Rowe came and went "noodling" for catfish. It will give you an idea of what we call a "fun weekend" here. Or check out the trailer for the documentary
Okie Noodling Too bad it's winter and the waters too cold, or we could go wrassle us up a mess of fish and fry them up for the next OMAS meeting... Fried catfish, and marinated astrea snails, that's what I call good eatin...

And please don't anyone be offended by this post, it's all in fun, if we can't make fun of ourselves, then who can...:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13881817#post13881817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TulsaReefer

And please don't anyone be offended by this post, it's all in fun, if we can't make fun of ourselves, then who can...:)

ROTFL

My fiance (who is already in Bartlesville) went noodling with some guys from work. Well, she watched them noodle from the shore while sipping drinks. That ought to make for a fun Saturday next summer!

Last edited:
She is in to my kind of noodling,noodling a tasty drink!! I love to fish but the idea of sticking my hand into a dark hole and putting my hand/fingers into a huge fishes mouth and wrestling him out just kinda makes me nervous !lol

ahhh your not a true okie if you've never gotten so drunk that the idea of trying to wrestle a giant catfish in their enviroment with you bare hands sounded fun.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13882796#post13882796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oddballs
She is in to my kind of noodling,noodling a tasty drink!! I love to fish but the idea of sticking my hand into a dark hole and putting my hand/fingers into a huge fishes mouth and wrestling him out just kinda makes me nervous !lol

I don't know, Scott, that one massive fish you have there might just count.

CGill,
Oklahoma is a pretty nice place to live. Our summers are freakin' hot and we invariably have an ice storm of some kind between Jan and Mar. Spring is beautiful, but be sure you know where a tornado shelter is. Obviously, fall is my favorite. You'll only be about an hour from Grand Lake, which is beautiful and makes for a great weekend trip. I live in Vinita which is about an hour from Tulsa and about 45 min from Bartlesville (by highway - not interstate). The comments by Tulsareefer apply more to my town than they do to Tulsa.... unfortunately.

Anyway, OMAS is a nice club with lots of helpful people. We'll see you when you get here.

One piece of advice would be to stock up on boiled peanuts. I haven't seen any street vendors here with them. :)

Back