Rant: At what point did only running BLUE LED's become a thing...

I agree with you all. I like blue in the evening and morning but not all day! I will not buy a coral or anemone without seeing it under white light first! Made that mistake in the past. I felt like I was ripped off! I would not have paid half as much if I had seen it under white light. The vender gave me some lame excuse, which should have been a clue. I probably would not have even bought it at all.

so if you're buying the coral in person and it's all blue lights, what's the proper etiquette? do you politely ask them to turn on white lights? And if they do, and it's ugly, then what? awkward!

so if you're buying the coral in person and it's all blue lights, what's the proper etiquette? do you politely ask them to turn on white lights? And if they do, and it's ugly, then what? awkward!

sounds like a blind date and then you tell them you need to use the restroom and ghost them.

Jamie, I always ask to have the spectrum changed to more white. I have changed my mind after they do that too. Anyone selling is completely aware that they may loose the sale. Its the way it is.
Jeff

True story - Jamie and I went to an LFS in orange county (not going to name them here) and we asked for the lights to be changed to see the true colors of some nems and the owner told us he lost the control, so the only color the lights puts out is blue and he's very sorry about that. He told us to believe him that the nems would look just as good under white lights. We ended up buying one... :(

I have no issues asking for more white lighting whether I'm purchasing online or in person. The vendor/reefer should expect it as this is not a new topic. Vendors been selling stuff online under intense blue lighting for the last decade and hey for newbies it's a good strategy esp those that like the full day blue lighting. But for some of us that prefer the natural whiter lighting we're not the demographic they're aiming for.

I just got back into the reefing again after 6 years off and man things have changed. MH and t5 is out. LEDs are in and all these orange filters... Everyone is going nuts over different indo/aussie torches. Doesnt seem like anyone interested in SPS anymore. Id Take a crisp 20K Radion MH showing the coral's true beauty over these fake blue LEDs and orange filters if my electricity bill wasnt so high...lol.

When I buy a coral I ask the lfs to turn up the whites so I can see what it really looks like. Got tired of buying a coral, taking it home and it looked nothing like it did in the store.

I've wondered that myself so often: are there really reefers that run their tanks on blue only for the whole day? And does it actually grow coral?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

[MENTION=207066]BeanMachine[/MENTION] he likes tidy bowl water

[MENTION=207066]BeanMachine[/MENTION] he likes tidy bowl water

LOL Wow, they let you out of the retirement home? "Back in my day son, we ran our tanks with the SUN and walked three days barefoot for water on maintenance day."

My tank is really blue morning and evening, but whiteeeeer during the day.

Jamie, I always ask to have the spectrum changed to more white. I have changed my mind after they do that too. Anyone selling is completely aware that they may loose the sale. Its the way it is.
Jeff

When I used to sell corals people asked me that all the time. My response, "œI am not here to help you find a reason not to buy this coral!" [emoji1787]

For those of you that run white light, I would not be looking to the new corals that are being collected. Word is, divers are going out at night with blue flashlights to find the ones that fluoresce. If you're looking for the Corals that look best under white light, go to the old favorites. But if you're looking for the ones that look best under blue, be prepared to pay a high price!

I've been through all lights and enjoy the blue spectrum like most in the hobby do. That prob why most vendors are catering their displays to noobs like me. That way I see what corals will look like at home. To each their own. Used to be collectors brought blue led flashlights to view corals. Now you will need to bring a white flashlight. It's 2021, everything is reversed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick with brown corals people. No problems
XNFU0UT.jpg

I've been through all lights and enjoy the blue spectrum like most in the hobby do. That prob why most vendors are catering their displays to noobs like me. That way I see what corals will look like at home. To each their own. Used to be collectors brought blue led flashlights to view corals. Now you will need to bring a white flashlight. It's 2021, everything is reversed now.

Haha, I've got a multi-color LED flashlight which can do both blue and white. Heck, it also has green and red, maybe that will be 2022 and 2023!

I like the new expensive corals that fluoresce under blue LEDs and I like the older acros which look good under white light. So my photoperiod starts out with only Blue XHO LEDS then the Blue+ T5s kick in and then the white T5's kick. So I get to see the corals under all different spectrums, Blue LED, 20k and white day light. Best of all worlds and all acros new and old.

Haha, I've got a multi-color LED flashlight which can do both blue and white. Heck, it also has green and red, maybe that will be 2022 and 2023!

I like the new expensive corals that fluoresce under blue LEDs and I like the older acros which look good under white light. So my photoperiod starts out with only Blue XHO LEDS then the Blue+ T5s kick in and then the white T5's kick. So I get to see the corals under all different spectrums, Blue LED, 20k and white day light. Best of all worlds and all acros new and old.

Yep, that's how u do it. Flexible lighting system to enjoy anything ur in the mood for.

Their lighting may be deceptive but where else are going to buy real ocean "Catalina" water? [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I'm mostly on Instagram now and a lot of new reefers prefer the blue leds. My leds are still mostly white but with more blue spectrum, maybe 20k.

They do look nice and bright under all blues but the blue lights hurt my eyes after a while.

I talked to my LFS about it recently since I noticed that he changed his lights into more blues and he said that new reefers like that color and he noticed an increase in sales after he changed colors.

I know a lot of new reefers too from IG and they like the blues and wear those orange glasses. I don't get it, but to each their own.

Back