RBTA Farm Build

Nope, I meant Cisco006, the person whos thread this is.

I'll ask Anthony if he is still doing this as well.

Perhaps I should just start my own thread here about my RBTA farm, seeing as how many folks seem to start these threads but never actually follow through with it...

Nope, I meant Cisco006, the person whos thread this is.

I'll ask Anthony if he is still doing this as well.

Perhaps I should just start my own thread here about my RBTA farm, seeing as how many folks seem to start these threads but never actually follow through with it...

I would love to hear about this as well =)

cheers, my friends

yes...I am, and have been farming quietly for many...many, many years now :p Lest the common question for pics be asked, I have had to begrudgingly stop sharing images publically: I've been robbed twice :(

Other/older industry authors/farmers warned me for years that I shouldn't be so friendly with my pics, email address, lecture schedule, etc. And after the first time I was robbed (by aquarists...they took no valuables in the house, just stole from the farm/reefs), I didnt want to accede to fear...so I continued with sharing as usual on the forums, etc. But after the second robbery, I just had to pull back.

It's a shame that a few bad apples ruin the lot, as they say. But if you think about it, how often do you see pics of personal systems from us so-called experts/industry 'famous' folks? Rare. Ultra rare. There's a reason for it and now ya know why. LOL

Eric Borneman's reefs have been stunning(!)...Julian's freshwater and saltwater displays are as amazing as you'd expect, etc. But to see them...:(

I'm farming anemones (coldwater and tropical) plus corals in two locations in the north as well as a southern location with a dear friend/partner. As I travel less and settle down more I'll likely more images again. Just still gunshy.

kind regards to all, Anth-

Yes, it is a shame stuff that like happens. I have had to become very wary of what information I share as well, I have been burned several times...

razor blade or scalpel

Just curious.. what do you use to "cut" a RBTA.

Don't use a scalpel or a razor blade. You will never have a clean single cut through the oral disc. They simply are not large enough to whack a 6" rbta in half. Manual division takes one fast long stroke to be successful. I use a 10" filet knife. You must cut from the top all the way through the bottom of the oral disc with no tears. Game over if not.

I have read and read so much info on Anemone Prop and I think that a possibility for slow growth in Cisco' s system is the fact that he has a frag tank attached to his main system.

Calfo was very direct in saying that it needed to be independent and solo species. I think all to often in this hobby we try and juggle multiple projects in one environment and this has the possibility of failing miserably.
We then get a bad taste in our mouths and put everyone else's project down because you failed.

I think with a project like this you should go into it with an open mind as a hobbyist and enjoy it as a hobby - If t takes off and you become successful then thats great - expand from there.

I am in the process of doing my own RBTA system - will post it once I am setup.

Good point. The ones I have seen done are in the 1.5" to 2" range when expanded and considerably smaller when deflated.

I think with a project like this you should go into it with an open mind as a hobbyist and enjoy it as a hobby - If t takes off and you become successful then thats great - expand from there.

I have to be honest, as a former hobbyist turned commercial farmer, this is the wrong approach, and the quickest way to get your system nuked. Even if you purely wanted to 'experiment' and split a couple anemones for trading, unless your system is separate and closed, you will introduce a host of bacteria, nematocysts, and infectious toxins into your system.

No. The anemone is not sick when it is cut. In fact you are only cutting very healthy, very gut loaded anemones. Provided you have sterile hands, cutting board and knife, there is nothing that you are introducing into the anemone. People tend to over-dip, over medicate their specimens. Just like a human taking too much antibiotics, it lowers your resistance and immunity to the same infections over time with prolonged medicine. If you are keeping the the same species within the same tank its safe to plop both halves back in immediately. I can slice an anemone and throw it back into the tank in literally less then 10 seconds from removal to replacement. Its very safe. Now if other species are sharing that tank, they are goners. The only thing I add religiously is 400mv target of ozone and fresh carbon.

I have to be honest, as a former hobbyist turned commercial farmer, this is the wrong approach, and the quickest way to get your system nuked. Even if you purely wanted to 'experiment' and split a couple anemones for trading, unless your system is separate and closed, you will introduce a host of bacteria, nematocysts, and infectious toxins into your system.

Maybe I wasn't explaining myself correctly, what I am saying is go into the anemone propogation business as a hobbyist with the idea of expansion if successful. Start with one anemone per closed system and take it from there

I agree 100% on a closed system and I also said that the reason Cisco was maybe not having much success was because of his multi coral and anemone tanks.

my apologies. yes, you are 100% correct. it HAS to be fun or its not worth doing. if it should turn out that you have a knack for this type of husbandry, and it can put a few dollars in your pocket to co-culture a certain species, then it doubles its reward potential.

Back