Red Flatworms...

Stepho725

So I've gotten my first glimpse of about 6 red flatworms on my glass. I'm obviously rather unhappy about this. Seeing as this is a smaller number (so far) shall I get a 6-line? Or go straight to the Flatline Exit?? Ugh I really don't want to deal with these things...I know it's a "normal" growing pain but I am already losing interest in my BC some so I'm def unhappy!!!
[emoji31] [emoji20]
By the way: these things wont make me sick or anything....right?

The six line idea is a bad one IMO. They come and go like many critters with avail nutrients. I would vacuum them out daily with a small siphon hose and keep the flow in your tank high for a bit. Also limit any food being added for a bit. I have seen them come and go so many times, I don't worry anymore.

Gotta say that the few times I've had them there wasn't much 'go' :lol: They reached plague proportions quite quickly. If I were the OP, I'd get them early by using FWE.

Today I only saw about four. One is larger than the rest tho. I just don't want to lose all my corals to them. Mostly softies, rics, zoas, soft lps & a rock nem. Do all Wrasses eat these worms or just 6-line? I don't overfeed the tank anymore as it is but it is so full of crap from (when I did overfeed) for them to live off of I worry they will never leave!
I currently have 2 clowns and a CUC...don't think the 6line would beat on my clowns but perhaps vice versa! Can't do anything until the wknd so I will keep an eye on these things and pray they don't begin multiplying!

I had them at one point in time and a combination of a six line, if your tank can support another fish, and Flatworm Exit cleaned them up quickly. Good luck !

Today I only saw about four. One is larger than the rest tho. I just don't want to lose all my corals to them. Mostly softies, rics, zoas, soft lps & a rock nem. Do all Wrasses eat these worms or just 6-line? I don't overfeed the tank anymore as it is but it is so full of crap from (when I did overfeed) for them to live off of I worry they will never leave!
I currently have 2 clowns and a CUC...don't think the 6line would beat on my clowns but perhaps vice versa! Can't do anything until the wknd so I will keep an eye on these things and pray they don't begin multiplying!

When I first started in the hobby I had planaria in my biocube. I became paranoid of the reports that warned they will "smother coral" so I used to vacuum them out daily. The vacuuming did little to keep their numbers down as did any fish recommended (6 line, coris, etc). I even tried a nudibranch which lasted about 6 hours before it was turned into a smoothie by a power head. If you really want them out, I suggest FW exit or the like. FWIW, I NEVER, saw any flatworms ON any of my corals (let alone "smothering" them) nor did I see any ill effects from having them in the tank. They are unsightly, but you have time and options to correct the issue.

Last edited:
I have thousands of them. They dont seem to bother anything. I read someone posted about using an arrow crab to eat them but not sure if it works or not.

I have thousands of them. They dont seem to bother anything. I read someone posted about using an arrow crab to eat them but not sure if it works or not.

Wow :eek2:, take what you see and multiply by 10. If your not seeing good PE, I would think its due to the toxins in your water from the little bastards.

Gotta say that the few times I've had them there wasn't much 'go' :lol: They reached plague proportions quite quickly. If I were the OP, I'd get them early by using FWE.

This ^^^^

I also agree with Karl I never saw them on any corals or any problems from them other than not wanting to see them all over. Use FW exit sooner rather than later.

I had a ton when I used the FW exit and I over dosed it (unknown amount but at recommended levels some worms lived on so I kept adding until I saw them all die) as well as I waited quite a bit before running carbon and I never had them come back. That was months ago. No coral deaths or even any loss of polyp extension either.

For future reference Bayer dip works rather well for keeping them out once you've beaten them.

Got me a sixline wrasse. Now whether or not he will eat the flatworms remains to be seen as there are really so few in one specific spot on the glass. While he has been poking around his new home and picking at everything on the rocks, I havent seen him feel brazen enough to come to the glass. I'm feeding lightly for a few days to see what results I come up with. Overall I like him so far. He's quick and enjoys swimming through holes in the rocks. The clowns bullied him for about 45 mins and now they are all peacefully living together...so far. I'm aware of the potential consequences with this guy so we will see. If flatworms continue to multiply then I will have to,get FE! Fingers crossed.

Flatworm exit didn't work for me. It did however put a big dent in my starfish and stomatella population, and yes I followed the directions. The tank was never the same after and has since been decommissioned. It was a nano that had a bluestripe pipefish in residence and while he was in there I never saw a flatworm. Sadly he got taken out by an LPS coral.

I agree that flatworms don't seem to like high flow.

Back